AR 4201 low volume on receiving side

Old June 20th 12, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alexander Swagemakers[_2_]

Default AR 4201 low volume on receiving side

I have purchased a used Becker AR 4201 and installed it in my glider. Reception is fine. On transmission the signal volume is very low on the receiving side. Even though the voice is clear, it is hardly understandable because of the low volume. I tried making some changes to the configuration to no avail (especially settings concerning the microphone).

Any ideas on what the problem might be? Has anybody experienced similar behavior before?
Old June 20th 12, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Jun 20, 9:08*am, Alexander Swagemakers
wrote:
I have purchased a used Becker AR 4201 and installed it in my glider. Reception is fine. On transmission the signal volume is very low on the receiving side. Even though the voice is clear, it is hardly understandable because of the low volume. I tried making some changes to the configuration to no avail (especially settings concerning the microphone).

Any ideas on what the problem might be? Has anybody experienced similar behavior before?

I'm not a radio engineer so they can jump in with a better explanation
but here's my take.

The radios we use are designed for airplanes. In a noisy airplane,
pilots will shout so mike sensitivity is set low so as not to over-
modulate the transmitter. Read the manual carefully and you will find
an adjustment for mike gain - probably behind tape or a placard. Try
some test transmissions speaking in a normal voice with an assistant
listening to a receiver at least a half mile away for over-modulation
as you increase the gain then back off a half turn.
Old June 20th 12, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

It sounds to me like you have either connected your microphone to the wrong
pins or have an improper microphone.
The Becker radio accepts either Dynamic (amplified) microphones PIN 5 (and
also Mic Ground Pin 6) or accepts amplified dynamic, electret or carbon
microphones (wiring to STANDARD MIC) Pin 18 (and also Mic Ground Pin 6).
If you have a standard mic connected to the dynamic imput the voice
transmitted with be very low (unintelligible)
If you have a dynamic microphone connected to the standard mic input your
voice transmitted with also be very low (unintelligible)
the other mistake can be by using a microphone that is just the wrong type,
typically telephone, PC and other low cost microphones cannot be made to
work with most airband radios. diagram for wiring is on my website
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/useful.htm also, please see page 2-6 of the
manual for installation wiring guidelines.
Best regards
Tim Mara

Old June 21st 12, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I have been flying powered airplanes for 38 years and have never had
to SHOUT into a microphone to be heard.
Old June 21st 12, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

wrote:

[...]

You raise your voice naturally because you are in a noisy
environment. AFAIK, all 'airplanes' are powered.

Old June 22nd 12, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Really? With proper hearing protection, ear plugs and flying helmets,
my ears and mouth do not know I'm in a noisy environment. With 15+ hr
missions, I've never come back with a soar throat from raising my
voice.

Old June 22nd 12, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 6/21/2012 4:34 PM, T wrote:
On Jun 20, 6:20 pm, Bill D wrote:
On Jun 20, 6:46 pm, T wrote:

You raise your voice naturally because you are in a noisy
environment. AFAIK, all 'airplanes' are powered.

Really? With proper hearing protection, ear plugs and flying helmets,
my ears and mouth do not know I'm in a noisy environment. With 15+ hr
missions, I've never come back with a soar throat from raising my
voice.

And the sidetone is adjusted so you hear your voice in the headphones at
a decent level, which keeps you from shouting.

email me)

Old June 22nd 12, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Jun 21, 9:13*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 6/21/2012 4:34 PM, T wrote:

On Jun 20, 6:20 pm, Bill D wrote:
On Jun 20, 6:46 pm, T wrote:

You raise your voice naturally because you are in a noisy
environment. *AFAIK, all 'airplanes' are powered.

Really? With proper hearing protection, ear plugs and flying helmets,
my ears and mouth do not know I'm in a noisy environment. With 15+ hr
missions, I've never come back with a soar throat from raising my
voice.

And the sidetone is adjusted so you hear your voice in the headphones at
a decent level, which keeps you from shouting.

email me)

OK, just put a 'scope on it and check the modulation level. I'll bet
that it is way to low for normal voice in a glider but about right for
an airplane.
Old June 22nd 12, 06:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 6/21/2012 4:34 PM, T wrote:

On Jun 20, 6:20 pm, Bill D wrote:
On Jun 20, 6:46 pm, T wrote:

You raise your voice naturally because you are in a noisy
environment. AFAIK, all 'airplanes' are powered.

Really? With proper hearing protection, ear plugs and flying helmets,
my ears and mouth do not know I'm in a noisy environment. With 15+ hr
missions, I've never come back with a soar throat from raising my
voice.

And the sidetone is adjusted so you hear your voice in the headphones at
a decent level, which keeps you from shouting.

email me)

OK, just put a 'scope on it and check the modulation level. I'll bet
that it is way to low for normal voice in a glider but about right for
an airplane.

The airplane pilots I hear don't sound like they are shouting, but are
just using a normal speaking voice. Even low cost headsets have
noise-canceling mikes and good sound isolation in the ear cups, so I
would not expect pilots using them to have to speak more loudly than a
glider pilot.

email me)