Becker AR 4201 or Microair 760 Transceiver

Old September 13th 03, 07:00 PM
Joe Lacour

I'm re-painting some gel coat spots on my LS and was wondering what
everyone is using for the red trim color. The original stuff is Nitro
Cellulose Lacquer. So, I call up the local body shop only to find that
lacquer is on it's way out of major production. Too bad as it's nice
stuff to work with, cheap, light, can be put on thin, and easy to
patch. I've found some by looking on the internet but it only comes in
one color red and gallons.

I'm also re-finishing the elevator and would like to sand the gelcaot
and paint it with lacquer. Won't add weight that way.

The LS also has some red tape to blend the seal on the rudder. Any
idea where to get this red tape?
--
Joe LaCour
KineOptics

985-649-0602
Optical & Mechanical Instrument design/fabrication
http://www.kineoptics.com/

Old September 13th 03, 11:07 PM
Ralph Jones

On 13 Sep 2003 18:00:07 GMT, Joe Lacour
wrote:

I'm re-painting some gel coat spots on my LS and was wondering what
everyone is using for the red trim color. The original stuff is Nitro
Cellulose Lacquer. So, I call up the local body shop only to find that
lacquer is on it's way out of major production. Too bad as it's nice
stuff to work with, cheap, light, can be put on thin, and easy to
patch. I've found some by looking on the internet but it only comes in
one color red and gallons.

I'm also re-finishing the elevator and would like to sand the gelcaot
and paint it with lacquer. Won't add weight that way.

The LS also has some red tape to blend the seal on the rudder. Any
idea where to get this red tape?

Nitrocellulose lacquer is model airplane dope -- the older nitrate
type. It's comparatively little used today because glow-engine fuels
attack it, but the larger hobby dealers have it -- and if you can't
find nitrate, the newer butyrate dope is usually compatible with it.
Buy a small sample, test it on an out-of-the-way spot, and you should
be able to get a color match with a little mixing.

rj
Old September 15th 03, 05:58 PM
wsburhen

you could also use acrylic laquer, which has huge advantages over over
nitro and no real disadvantage (it can be shot very thin) or a
basecoat/clearcoat
system, while a bit more work, can also be done thin/light and will be
many times more durable than nitrocellulose. Either of these two
systems can be EXACTLY color matched and are locally available
anywhere at an autobody supply store. Try Ditzler Duracryl for acryl
laquer, or Deltron for b/c system, or other types by Sikkens,
Martin-Senor, Glasurit, etc.
Old September 15th 03, 06:32 PM
Joe Lacour

Yea, that's what I thought but apparently Acrylic Lacquer is being
phased out here in the states. I have located some custom paint
companies in the US but there is only one red and one white. Lacquer
is so easy to use, light, thin, used to be cheap, and like you said
patches perfect. If anyone knows a source, I'd appreciate hearing
about it. For the mean time on this little red spot, I found a spray
can that is a very close match. If I can't find any Acrylic Lacquer,
I'll finish working the elevator in Gelcoat. Thanks!

Newsgroup: rec.aviation.soaring
Subject: LS-4 Red Trim paint color