Emergency Landing Video Info?

Old March 20th 05, 02:43 PM
Marco Leon

Default Emergency Landing Video Info?

Anyone know the tail number or ID of the NTSB report describing this
accident? It looks like there were amazingly no deaths.

http://media2.big-boys.com/baseballplane.wmv

Marco Leon

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 20th 05, 03:35 PM
Dave S

Took me maybe 5 minutes to google "plane crash ball game video"

The crash occurred at Anchorage, AK on 7/31/03 and was caught on video
for the Alaska Goldpanners minor league baseball team

http://www.adn.com/front/story/3562030p-3593307c.html

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...05X01271&key=1

Your welcome.
Dave

Old March 20th 05, 03:42 PM
Aardvark

Marco Leon wrote:
Anyone know the tail number or ID of the NTSB report describing this
accident? It looks like there were amazingly no deaths.

http://media2.big-boys.com/baseballplane.wmv

Marco Leon

Just pop in the key words here ...
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/query.asp

Old March 20th 05, 05:24 PM
mike regish

Wow! My first thought after seeing this was "You asshole." At first I
thought he was landing outside the playing field, but he was just landing in
another one.

I'd take my chances with the trees before I'd land in a crowded sports
field.

mike regish

Old March 20th 05, 07:01 PM
Richard Graves

"mike regish" wrote in message
Wow! My first thought after seeing this was "You asshole." At first I
thought he was landing outside the playing field, but he was just landing
in another one.

I'd take my chances with the trees before I'd land in a crowded sports
field.

mike regish

I'll second that one.. My first thoughts were, "What in the heck is this
person doing?"..

I had an experience once where I had to make a decision about possibly
hitting someone and putting myself at greater risk. I chose to take the
chances of going around at about 5kts above stall speed with full flaps
instead of food-processing the fools on motorcycles that decided to play
chicken with me.

-Richard

Old March 20th 05, 08:08 PM
A Lieberman

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:01:32 GMT, Richard Graves wrote:

"mike regish" wrote in message
Wow! My first thought after seeing this was "You asshole." At first I
thought he was landing outside the playing field, but he was just landing
in another one.

I'd take my chances with the trees before I'd land in a crowded sports
field.

mike regish

I'll second that one.. My first thoughts were, "What in the heck is this
person doing?"..

I had an experience once where I had to make a decision about possibly
hitting someone and putting myself at greater risk. I chose to take the
chances of going around at about 5kts above stall speed with full flaps
instead of food-processing the fools on motorcycles that decided to play
chicken with me.

I think you both are being hard on this guy. Have you read the NTSB
report?

Seems to me, that a windmilling prop at the most critical point of decision
didn't leave much choice for that pilot. Sounds like he did some trouble
shooting based on the report and all failed. Yeah, his fate was sealed on
the fact he didn't preflight, but second guessing his decision is rather
harsh when you were not confronted with his circumstances.

It looked to me, he went for the closest to the fence as he could to AVOID
hitting people.

Based on the report, it did not sound like he had much altitude to play
with when the fan quit. Having said that, picking the edge of a playing
field and wrecking a fence may have been his only choice. Nobody on the
ground was hurt, so his decision to land there may have been the best he
had made for that entire flight.

We don't know what was around the field to second guess his decisions.
Were there houses? subdivisions? more damage to be done by impact?

The amazing thing, was that this probably would have been avoided had he
did a preflight!

Allen
(425+ hours and still has checklist in hand for my preflights).
Old March 20th 05, 08:34 PM
Bob Fry

Four escape serious injuries

"WE'RE ALL OK": Pilot puts Cessna down between games.

By BETH BRAGG and DOYLE WOODY
Anchorage Daily News

Published: August 1st, 2003

snip

The craft went down on the running track between the baseball game in
Mulcahy Stadium and a coed soccer game in the football stadium. The
wreck was witnessed by about 500 people at the baseball game.

"Instead of crashing and killing, he hit the fence," said Donald
S. Raney, a veteran pilot who was watching the baseball game from the
left field bleachers.

"The minute it hit the fence the engine came right off," Raney
said. "He averted a tragedy. I give praise to the pilot."
Old March 20th 05, 09:15 PM
Dale

In article ,
A Lieberman wrote:

We don't know what was around the field to second guess his decisions.
Were there houses? subdivisions? more damage to be done by impact?

Those ball fields are surrounded by residential areas. That arrival is
done low so not much time to pick a spot to put the airplane. Better
decision making would have negated the need for good stick and rudder
skills.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html