Aircraft Carrier naming

Old January 20th 04, 12:19 AM
gizmo-goddard

"Tank Fixer" wrote in message
.net...

SNIPPED

Ships that go down (submarines) are named after fish !

Actually, only three of them are currently named for fish/aquatic animals,
the Seawolf (SSN-21), the Dolphin (AGSS-555) and the Cutthroat (LSV-2) that
I can find. Most are named for cities and states:

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/...etop.html#subs

You can check out each class of submarine from this website.

__!_!__
Gizmo

Old January 20th 04, 01:35 AM
William Hughes

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 10:58:57 -0500 (EST), in rec.aviation.military.naval
(T Bird) wrote:

And how about another USS Yorktown . Served on CV-10 . 2-63 to 6-65 .
Good duty , Two WestPacs , Loved my homeport . Long Beach .

I'm still holding out for a new LANGLEY.

Old January 20th 04, 02:21 PM
Pechs1

Would it not be great to have
in the fleet carriers again named USS Hornet, Lexington, Saratoga,
Oriskany. It would honor the sailors that served on these great ships.
BRBR

You bet, along with the Shangri-La....
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old January 20th 04, 05:21 PM
Frank Minich

Fleet oilers:
USS Chevron-Texaco, USS Valero, USS Arco, USS Beacon, USS Rotten Robbie,
etc.

Arco was purchased by BP a few years ago - would USS Arco get a name
"upgrade"?

Regards,
Frank

"Mike Kanze" wrote in message
Wait until the Navy starts accepting commercial sponsors in order to

increase their budget. We could be looking at the USS Taco Bell some day.
Before you laugh, don't forget that local and state governments are

already
renaming public sport and civic centers after commercial investors as a
source of income. Lets face it, nothing is sacred when it comes to money.

A concept that may work well for getting the ship built, but that founders
(pun intended) if the ship is heavily damaged or sunk.

In the civilian world, consumer products companies weigh this risk all the
time when choosing their media. Think of the risk / reward trade-off for
plastering your brand's logo on a race car and you'll get the idea.

******

On a humorous note, would anyone in r.a.m.n. wish to contribute to a list

of
ship classes with corresponding prospective commercial name sponsors?

For example:

Fleet oilers:
USS Chevron-Texaco, USS Valero, USS Arco, USS Beacon, USS Rotten Robbie,
etc.

(I think you get the idea.)

--
Mike Kanze

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on

society."

-Mark Twain

"John Fitzpatrick" wrote in message
Wait until the Navy starts accepting commercial sponsors in order

increase their budget. We could be looking at the USS Taco Bell some

day.
Before you laugh, don't forget that local and state governments are

already
renaming public sport and civic centers after commercial investors as a
source of income. Lets face it, nothing is sacred when it comes to

money.

Fitz
"Bob" wrote in message
om...
Anybody else bothered by the naming of US aircraft carriers after
people who were still living at the time? I'm sure that Carl Vinson
(CVN-70) & John C. Stennis (CVN-74) did good thing but to have a
carrier named after them? I wish the US Navy would go back to naming
carriers after famous battles & ships. Would it not be great to have

Old January 21st 04, 12:32 PM
Jim McCartan

You bet, along with the Shangri-La....
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

AND America
Old January 21st 04, 03:45 PM
T Bird

The USNS Bob Hope is not a navy warship . It is U.S. Gov \ Navy ship .
Commanded by a Civ Capt. from M.S.C. With a civ crew from M.S.C. or can
be contracted out to private company to run . I spent 15 yrs with M.S.C.

Old January 21st 04, 04:11 PM
Andrew Venor

T Bird wrote:
The USNS Bob Hope is not a navy warship . It is U.S. Gov \ Navy ship .
Commanded by a Civ Capt. from M.S.C. With a civ crew from M.S.C. or can
be contracted out to private company to run . I spent 15 yrs with M.S.C.

Yes I know that USNS Bob Hope is not a warship. My point being that the
ship (and the ship class) was named while Mr. Hope still alive.

ALV