Tail Dolly Latch

Old July 14th 04, 05:13 PM
Roy Bourgeois

Default Tail Dolly Latch

Does anybody know a source for tail dolly latches?
Preferably the old Schemp-Hirth screw adjustable ones
(that look suspiciously like ski boot latches).

TIA

Roy

Old July 14th 04, 06:03 PM
Roger Felton

Try McMaster-Carr Industrial Supply http://www.mcmaster.com/
Search on "adjustable draw latches"
Note - Latches of this type, that rely on an "over center" action for
proper operation, may not function properly when used on a curved surface.

RF

Old July 14th 04, 06:32 PM
Eric Greenwell

Roy Bourgeois wrote:

Does anybody know a source for tail dolly latches?
Preferably the old Schemp-Hirth screw adjustable ones
(that look suspiciously like ski boot latches).

I bought a couple from Eastern Sailplane a few years ago for my
Schleicher tail dolly.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old July 14th 04, 08:12 PM
Dave Martin

Have a look at the following site with on line catalogue

http://www.protex-fasteners.com/

The UK company will dispatch any order by post.

The even advertise in the UK gliding press.

I have used ther 70-1273 heavy duty with locking catch
for many years.

Dave Martin

--
Change 'netto' to 'net' to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old July 15th 04, 02:43 AM
Bob Lepp

I found them at a supplier of hardware for truck and trailer
fabricators, they have them in plated and stainless. Get the ones
which allow a lock to be inserted and use small carabiner clips
instead and they will never open unexpectedly on you. To avoid the
curved surface issue I epoxied a wedge under each half so the latch
runs straight, then filleted in with more epoxy. I also installed a
'fork' arrangement, a small plate under the catch plate shaped like a
wide fork to capture the opposing clamp, to retain alignment of the
two dolly halves under load. I think this will extend the life of the
hinges as well, I replaced them with thicker truck hardware stainless
hinges.

Get the heaviest clamps you can fit on, don't be tempted by the cute
little ones! Bigger is best! Slip a piece of 'snug' tubing over the
threaded adjusting portion to keep it from rotating back loose when
unlatched.

I'll email a small photo of the trial fitting.

Bob
Old July 15th 04, 03:56 PM
Bryan

U.S. readers might note that the Protex-Fasteners web site has a St. Louis
distributor listed as: Terry Barber, Protex Fasteners, 314-436-0080,

Bryan

Old July 19th 04, 08:08 PM
Ronald Tabery

Roy Bourgeois wrote in message ...
Does anybody know a source for tail dolly latches?
Preferably the old Schemp-Hirth screw adjustable ones
(that look suspiciously like ski boot latches).

TIA

Roy

Try DESTACO, distributors all over the US. Far better than the latch
that comes standard with most dollys. Many models to choose from.
Old July 19th 04, 08:51 PM
Bill Daniels

Please note that these "toggle clamps" can put several hundred pounds of
closure force on a tail dolly. I think it is possible to damage the tail
boom structure if the dolly clamps too tightly.

Be careful.

Bill Daniels

om...

Old July 19th 04, 11:33 PM
goneill

Try boat chandlers ,they are relatively common as hatch cover latchs,come in
stainless steel as well.
gary

Old July 21st 04, 09:22 AM
Basil Fairston

www.protex-fasteners.com have a good selection. I've had good results with 36-1163 if you install them with the springs almost compressed when they are done up.

Ronald Tabery wrote:

Roy Bourgeois wrote in message ...
Does anybody know a source for tail dolly latches?
Preferably the old Schemp-Hirth screw adjustable ones
(that look suspiciously like ski boot latches).

TIA

Roy

Try DESTACO, distributors all over the US. Far better than the latch
that comes standard with most dollys. Many models to choose from.

Tail Skid Help / Advice Ray Lovinggood Soaring 3 January 2nd 04 08:16 PM
AH64 tail rotor CivetOne Rotorcraft 3 October 23rd 03 07:18 PM
Tail Dolly For Sale Albert Gold Soaring 0 October 15th 03 03:01 AM
Oshkosh Get together Roster - Sign in, please! Bruce E. Butts Piloting 1 July 26th 03 11:34 AM
The prone postion for tail gunners versus turrets. The Enlightenment Military Aviation 8 July 22nd 03 11:01 PM