Triple posts?

Old January 10th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Triple posts?

"George Patterson" wrote in message
That's the way it used to work for me in far-off times. It doesn't work
that way now.

No, that can't be. Everyone is so in love with Mozilla, Firefox,
Thunderbird, etc. that it cannot be possible that it doesn't work just as a
normal person would want it to straight "out of the box".

I'm using Thunderbird, so, if there's a setting I should
make to accomplish this, I'm all ears (or eyes, as the case may be).

Sorry...I don't have a real answer. Never used it. However, as much fun as
it is to make fun of Thunderbird, I think it must have some way to correctly
deal with cross-posts. Hopefully someone who has actually used the program
can tell you what that is.

Pete

Old January 10th 06, 06:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Hopefully someone who has actually used the program
can tell you what that is.

I use Netscape, built on the same engine. No setting to skip crossposts
you've read. I'm open to suggestions for newsreaders with this (highly
desirable) feature.

Jose
Old January 10th 06, 07:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jose" wrote in message
I use Netscape, built on the same engine. No setting to skip crossposts
you've read. I'm open to suggestions for newsreaders with this (highly
desirable) feature.

Hmm. Well, I'm surprised it's not in the Mozilla-based newsreaders. After
all, that feature is one (of just a handful) that I, and probably most
people, would consider essential to any "real" newsreader. That is, without
it, you're just a toy newsreader. For all the "our open-source is the
best!" hurrahs that always seem to go around, you'd think they'd be talking
about something that wasn't a toy. Guess not.

As far as newsreaders that do have the feature go, well...Outlook Express
has it. Forte's Agent and Free Agent both have it (you can get Free Agent
for, duh, free). I've never used the 4titude newsreader, but surely it has
it also. Any command-line-based newsreader (e.g. rn an a *nix system) would
have it as well.

Basically, any REAL newsreader should include that feature. Lots of people
will swear up and down that Outlook Express sucks rocks, but it's just as
useful a newsreader as any other. I've never seen a single newsreader that
does everything I want it to, but OE does everything that I need a
newsreader to do 90% of the time, which is at least as capable as any other
newsreader I've used.

I do recommend you try the other brands though. There's nothing like
personal experience to reassure you that you've made the right choice, and
you may actually prefer one of the others anyway. I've tried several of the
ones I mention above, and OE does what I need with minimal fuss.

Agent, in particular, has some features that OE doesn't, but is missing some
features OE has, and at least last time I used it (more than five years ago)
it had a butt-ugly UI, making it hard to figure out how to actually do
something even if it was supported, and didn't handle suscribing to multiple
newsservers as gracefully as OE does. It also was much slower than OE, but
I'm not going to bother getting into that again...it really seems to get
Larry's shorts in a knot.

For me, that made OE my preferred choice. For other people, they may be
more interested in features Agent has and OE doesn't.

Pete

Old January 10th 06, 10:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jose wrote:
Hopefully someone who has actually used the program can tell you what
that is.

I use Netscape, built on the same engine. No setting to skip crossposts
you've read. I'm open to suggestions for newsreaders with this (highly
desirable) feature.

Jose

Okay, I was so skeptical that a newsreader with a connection to the
Mozilla family did not have a "next unread" feature, I had to download
Thunderbird and try it for myself.

Note that I still cannot speak for the Netscape newsreader, but I can
confirm that in Thunderbird, skipping to the next unread message is as
easy as hitting the "N" key.

Now that I've downloaded it, I think I might actually use it for a few
days and see how I like it. First impression is quite good, which is a
big contrast with my first impression of Firefox (which I only use for
the RSS plug-ins...I know lots of people love Firefox, but my experience
with it involves lots of graphical bugs and high CPU utilization; it
might comply better with the CSS specification, but IE works way better
for me on day-to-day stuff, including basic issues like scrolling the
window).

So, in addition to all of the other newsreaders I mentioned (none of
which are actually BAD newsreaders, no matter what that goofball Martin
says), I can suggest checking out Thunderbird. At the moment, I can
state unequivocably that it definitely doesn't suck enough for me to
realize it in the first ten minutes of use.

Pete
Old January 10th 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I use Netscape, built on the same engine. No setting to skip crossposts
you've read. I'm open to suggestions for newsreaders with this (highly
desirable) feature.

Now THAT is funny.

Simple (and free) little Outlook Express does it automatically.

Microsoft got something right -- imagine that?

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 10th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Note that I still cannot speak for the Netscape newsreader, but I can confirm that in Thunderbird, skipping to the next unread message is as easy as hitting the "N" key.

Yes, but if you already read that message in a different thread, it will
still be presented to you as new.

Jose
Old January 10th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter Duniho wrote:

Okay, I was so skeptical that a newsreader with a connection to the
Mozilla family did not have a "next unread" feature, I had to download
Thunderbird and try it for myself.

I don't recall anyone saying that it doesn't have a next unread feature. What we
can't seem to find is a feature that will mark cross-posted posts as "read" in
other groups once you read them in this one.

For example, I see any new posts in the "Prop Indexing" thread twice; once in
RAP, and a second time in RAO. Granted, once I realize that I'm in one of these
cross-posted threads, it's a simple matter to mark the entire thread as "read"
and move on, but I didn't have to do that on a Unix box.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old January 10th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article WCOwf.719153$xm3.599521@attbi_s21,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Simple (and free) little Outlook Express does it automatically.

Microsoft got something right -- imagine that?

:-)

even the long island looney bird would occasionally get something right.

;-)

--
Bob Noel
New NHL? what a joke

Old January 10th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

George Patterson wrote:
I don't recall anyone saying that it doesn't have a next unread feature.
What we can't seem to find is a feature that will mark cross-posted
posts as "read" in other groups once you read them in this one.

Oh. I misunderstood, somewhere along the line (I think it's possible I
knew what you were talking about at some point, and then headed off in a
different direction due to lack of sleep ).

Well, I'll keep looking, but at this point I've browsed through pretty
much every setting Thunderbird has. I would be surprised if something
like that were configurable. I guess I'm back to dis-recommending
Thunderbird, given the lack of that fundamental newsreader feature.
Clearly it's still in "toy" category.

It still surprises me. I just can't imagine a newsreader trying to take
itself seriously without that feature.

Pete
Old January 10th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter Duniho wrote:
It still surprises me. I just can't imagine a newsreader trying to take
itself seriously without that feature.

Well, I checked around, and found a variety of mentions that this just
isn't available in Thunderbird. The netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news
newsgroup in particular has some illuminating comments.

I am also surprised that, even if this functionality is missing from the
basic application, that there's no extension to provide it. There are
all sorts of extensions for all sorts of other things, including a lot
of relatively useless stuff. But nothing to add this very basic, very
necessary newsreader feature.

I find the whole thing ironic.

Pete