IFR use of handheld GPS

Old May 3rd 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR use of handheld GPS

Yeah, but in a lost comm situation, you'd either have to map read your way
to the destination or aim off to intercept your original airways course or
quickly plot a new airways course.

Lost comm in IMC, just use the handheld. Is your concern a double
failure (handheld and comm)?

-Robert

Old May 3rd 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

So I said "we can wing it" and his response was, "well I better give you a vector" and then I
went and "augmented" his vector with my handheld.

Often times ATC will ask you for a vector (what is your direct heading
for FOOBAR?)

-Robert

Old May 4th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Simply said, ifr use of vfr gps is not in the spirit of the far's.

Old May 4th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In a previous article, "Robert M. Gary" said:
Yeah, but in a lost comm situation, you'd either have to map read your way
to the destination or aim off to intercept your original airways course or
quickly plot a new airways course.

Lost comm in IMC, just use the handheld. Is your concern a double
failure (handheld and comm)?

It's already been said that you can only go direct when ATC can monitor
you on radar, so how can you go direct in a lost comm situation? If
you're lost comm, how can they vector you around traffic or warn you if
you're off track?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"He passed away during an important civic function held in his honor when the
Old May 4th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Often times ATC will ask you for a vector (what is your direct heading
for FOOBAR?)

-Robert

Yeah, but that's becase they don't have FOOBAR in their computer so
they want to know what direction you'll be going so they can apply
radar separation. That's unrelated to what equipment you're navigating
with.

Old May 4th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

William L.Snow, PE wrote:
Simply said, ifr use of vfr gps is not in the spirit of the far's.

So that is why I asked the original question. Does IFR use of a
drugstore-bought calculator or a wris****ch or a sextant fall under the
same category? If not why is it different? Do you use IFR pencils to
copy your clearance on IFR paper? I'm getting silly, but in all
seriousness, where do you draw the line?

Peter

Old May 4th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

It's already been said that you can only go direct when ATC can monitor
you on radar, so how can you go direct in a lost comm situation? If
you're lost comm, how can they vector you around traffic or warn you if
you're off track?

Then nobody should ever go direct or be vectored.

Old May 4th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"William L.Snow, PE" wrote in message
. ..

Simply said, ifr use of vfr gps is not in the spirit of the far's.

Which FARs?

Old May 4th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

Does the FAA have a set of regs written for a sextant? They do for the
GPS.

Where can that set of regs be found?