Lathe, drillpress, milling machine available, but.....

Old February 20th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Lathe, drillpress, milling machine available, but.....

"COLIN LAMB" wrote

I was
wiring my house and up on a ladder about 15 feet and drilling through a

beam
with a 1/2" drill. The bit caught on a knot and ripped me off the ladder
and started spinning me around. While I was turning, I realized what the
screw on handle was for. I managed to avoid injury, but felt stupid.

I think that anyone who does enough wiring or plumbing on a house will, or
already has had, a problem like that.

I remember using a 3 1/2" hole saw, cutting though the top plate, to receive
a vent line. The saw was in a big 'ole 1/2" drill with all kinds of
torque, and I hit something (a nail, I think) that stopped it cold.

I was on a ladder, too, and had the trigger lock on. It ripped partially
loose from my hand, only after convincing me to let go of it. It convinced
me by slapping my knuckles harder than Sister Mary's ruler, on the
surrounding wood. By that time, my perch was about to tip over, and did,
just as I let go.

The drill only stopped it's contortions after it wound all of it's power
cord around itself, and it came unplugged from the extension cord. I was
glad, in that case, that I had not tied the two cords together, like I am
known to do. It would have taken a good while more to wrap up 25 more feet
of cord! g
--
Jim in NC

Old February 20th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Michael Horowitz wrote:

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:12:17 GMT, wmbjk
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 06:26:31 -0500, Michael Horowitz
wrote:

The local EAA chapter has a lathe, drillpress, milling machine, etc
set up in the back of the chapter house. As far as I can tell, the
lathe hasn't been used in a while. When I asked, someone rightly
replied they were concerned someone might hurt themselves using the
lathe. Having had some training with a lathe, I recognize that danger,
but there should be a way for the Chapter to feel comfortable
allowing use of the lathe. A training program would be ideal

Has anyone else been faced with this situation and how did it get
solved? - MIke

You might buy several hockey helmets with face shields, to be used by
nervous club members when operating the drill press and milling
machine. Trade the helmets for the lathe, and take it home for safe
disposal before it can maim or kill anybody.

Wayne

Wayne - that went WAY over my head! - Mike

A little tongue-in-cheek suggestion for a way to remove the danger of
legal liability for the chapter...

Win-Win if they should accept such a generous offer!

Richard
Old February 20th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote:

The local EAA chapter has a lathe, drillpress, milling machine, etc
set up in the back of the chapter house. As far as I can tell, the
lathe hasn't been used in a while. When I asked, someone rightly
replied they were concerned someone might hurt themselves using the
lathe. Having had some training with a lathe, I recognize that danger,
but there should be a way for the Chapter to feel comfortable
allowing use of the lathe. A training program would be ideal

Has anyone else been faced with this situation and how did it get
solved? - MIke

May I suggest the following:

1. Go to http://www.lindsaybks.com/ and look forthis title: How To
Run a Lathe by South Bend Lathe. Make it part of the chapter library
and require those who want to use the lathe to read it before use.

2. Mandatory safety glasses

3. Keep you knuckles away from the chuck at all times

3A. Take the chuck wrench out of the chuck unless it is actually
being used to tighten or loosen the work.

4. Many light cuts are safer for the beginner than a few heavy cuts

I have taught roughly 3500 freshman students in the past 19 years to
use a lathe and have seen only a time handful of serious injuries.

Any adult with enough common sense to tackle building an airplane
SHOULD have enough common sense to run a lathe.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org

Old February 20th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Errol Groff" wrote

1. Go to http://www.lindsaybks.com/ and look forthis title: How To
Run a Lathe by South Bend Lathe.

I was not able to identify a book by that name. Help? g?
--
Jim in NC
Old February 20th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:38:27 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Errol Groff" wrote

1. Go to http://www.lindsaybks.com/ and look forthis title: How To
Run a Lathe by South Bend Lathe.

I was not able to identify a book by that name. Help? g?

The link was Popular Lathe Books

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks/lathebk/index.html

Errol Groff
EAA 60159

Old February 21st 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Errol Groff wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 06:26:31 -0500, Michael Horowitz
wrote:

nip

3. Keep you knuckles away from the chuck at all times

You, sir, are no fun.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old February 21st 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote:

The local EAA chapter has a lathe, drillpress, milling machine, etc
set up in the back of the chapter house. As far as I can tell, the
lathe hasn't been used in a while. When I asked, someone rightly
replied they were concerned someone might hurt themselves using the
lathe. Having had some training with a lathe, I recognize that danger,
but there should be a way for the Chapter to feel comfortable
allowing use of the lathe. A training program would be ideal

Has anyone else been faced with this situation and how did it get
solved? - MIke

We basically rely on people knowing how to use the equipment, with the
earning, if you aren't familiar with it, don't use it. That has
worked for some time now. OTOH I've missed so many meetings in the
past two years they may have some sort of formal program in place now.
Still there are many of us willing to help others learn not to leave
the chuck key in place and what parts are likely to reach out and grab
fingers and loose clothes.. Of course we could make sure it's *their*
airplane in front of the lathe while they are using it. :-))

In general the mill is just a big drill press and about as safe unless
using a fly cutter.

We do have face shields, but they need their own leather gloves. I
almost always wear tight fitting leather gloves and short sleeve
shirts when working with machine tools.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old February 21st 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 22:41:15 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

[...]

It's surprising how fast it can wrap up a 25, 50, or even 100 foot
cord. You have to be careful about how you hold the grip and switch as
you can get into a position where the drill catching will make you
hole the switch tighter. We had an electrician working way up on top
of a 4 story building. He wasn't so lucky, The cord managed to wrap
around his thumb and pulled it out by the roots. After that he had to
climb down two flights of ladders mounted on the side of the upper
floors.

Old February 21st 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 09:43:09 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

Go down to your local community college. Find out where the voc ed
department is and explain your problem to the director. Suggest that they
might want to hold a 1 unit class once a year for a full semester on
Saturdays at the hangar. Promise them at least 20 students a class and mean
it. You might even suggest that somebody in the chapter who is a skilled
machinist could qualify for a voc ed credential (or min quals, or whatever
your state requires) and teach the class. Salary for a 1 unit class for a

If it's not grade school kids I don't think most states have any
requirements. It doesn't even require a degree to teach at the
college level in many states. OTOH no many colleges will use a teacher
without a degree.

full semester is somewhere around $1500, which will buy a hell of a lot of
beer for the Friday night come-to-Jesus meeting.

A 1 unit class is two hours a week for an 18 week semester and most
community colleges will jump at the chance to get the equivalent of 1 fte
(full time equivalent) student for peanuts. Have the voc ed instructor gin
up some sort of certificate for those who pass the class (or those who get a
B or better, or whatever criteria you want, but I don't want C students

C is average which is supposed to indicate adequate knowledge. B is
above average.

working on MY equipment) and keep a log of those who have passed the
certificate. No class, no use.

In California, a 1 unit class is $24 plus whatever "student" fees (health,
library, etc.) are tacked on no matter HOW many units you take. Certainly
less than $50.

I think that is probably one of the few things that are cheaper in
Ca:-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Jim

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
.. .
The local EAA chapter has a lathe, drillpress, milling machine, etc
set up in the back of the chapter house. As far as I can tell, the
lathe hasn't been used in a while. When I asked, someone rightly
replied they were concerned someone might hurt themselves using the
lathe. Having had some training with a lathe, I recognize that danger,
but there should be a way for the Chapter to feel comfortable
allowing use of the lathe. A training program would be ideal

Has anyone else been faced with this situation and how did it get
solved? - MIke

"...but I don't have a lathe." [email protected] Home Built 47 September 20th 08 12:53 AM
Democracy Expires Grantland Military Aviation 14 March 8th 04 04:54 AM
Lathe Help Bruce A. Frank Home Built 15 February 7th 04 09:05 AM
Fess up! Simming...and the machine..... Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo Simulators 1 November 28th 03 05:31 PM
Machine Tool Co. Bankruptcy Sends Ripple Through JSF Program huuto Military Aviation 3 July 29th 03 05:59 AM