B52

Old April 14th 10, 10:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
guido

Default B52

How can a plane fly in this conditions?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	42103
Old April 14th 10, 10:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Glenn[_2_]

I saw this aircraft in 2008. It had just arrived at the Boneyard to await
its fate.

"guido" wrote in message
. ..
How can a plane fly in this conditions?

Old April 14th 10, 11:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Salamanda

Anyone know what happened?
"guido" wrote in message
. ..
How can a plane fly in this conditions?

Old April 14th 10, 11:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton[_3_]

"Salamanda" wrote in message
Anyone know what happened?
"guido" wrote in message
. ..
How can a plane fly in this conditions?

http://www.talkingproud.us/HistoryB52NoTail.html

Google is your friend

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old April 14th 10, 09:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
rabid_fan

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:35:13 +0200, guido wrote:

How can a plane fly in this conditions?

If it can happen to a Boeing, it could also happen to an Airbus.

Could something similar explain the demise of Air France 447 that
recently was lost over the Atlantic?

Old April 15th 10, 08:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Alan Erskine[_4_]

"rabid_fan" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:35:13 +0200, guido wrote:

How can a plane fly in this conditions?

If it can happen to a Boeing, it could also happen to an Airbus.

It did - 2001 in New York - straight after 9/11

Old April 16th 10, 10:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 19:57:46 +0930, "Dave Kearton"
wrote:

"Salamanda" wrote in message
Anyone know what happened?
"guido" wrote in message
. ..
How can a plane fly in this conditions?

http://www.talkingproud.us/HistoryB52NoTail.html

Boeings ~usually~ make it home after the tail falls off.

http://www.seattlepi.com/archives/1989/8901260265.asp

Of course, the KC-135/707 was designed with a folding tail, for back
in the days when it were the big'n in the hangar.

Bob ^,,^

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	367-80_N70700_MoF_BFI_6-03_H.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	42120
Old April 16th 10, 05:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Frydaddy

Never heard of a KC-135 loosing a tail. The one(E-6A) in the article is
quite different from the 135's. The first time the tail fell off the crew
didn't know that they had lost the tail until told so upon landing. The fix
was to change the amount of hydraulic pressure available to the rudder at
different airspeeds. How do I know? I fly and maintain these aircraft and
have many hours in this one. The Navy crews wanted to call the plane
'Gecko' but we ended up with 'Mercury'

Frydaddy

"Bob (not my real pseudonym)" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 19:57:46 +0930, "Dave Kearton"
wrote:

"Salamanda" wrote in message
Anyone know what happened?
. ..

Old April 17th 10, 10:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave D

"Bob (not my real pseudonym)" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 19:57:46 +0930, "Dave Kearton"
wrote:

"Salamanda" wrote in message
Anyone know what happened?
"guido" wrote in message
. ..
How can a plane fly in this conditions?

http://www.talkingproud.us/HistoryB52NoTail.html

Boeings ~usually~ make it home after the tail falls off.

http://www.seattlepi.com/archives/1989/8901260265.asp

Of course, the KC-135/707 was designed with a folding tail, for back
in the days when it were the big'n in the hangar.

Bob ^,,^

In fact, none of the 135s upon which I flew had folding tails. BTW and FWIW,
the 135 is not a 707. It is, per Boeing, a 717.....

DaveD With about 10k hours in RC135 aircraft.

Old April 17th 10, 01:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 01:10:49 -0800, "Dave D"
wrote:

"Bob (not my real pseudonym)" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 19:57:46 +0930, "Dave Kearton"
wrote:

"Salamanda" wrote in message
Anyone know what happened?
"guido" wrote in message
. ..
How can a plane fly in this conditions?

http://www.talkingproud.us/HistoryB52NoTail.html

Boeings ~usually~ make it home after the tail falls off.

http://www.seattlepi.com/archives/1989/8901260265.asp

Of course, the KC-135/707 was designed with a folding tail, for back
in the days when it were the big'n in the hangar.

Bob ^,,^

In fact, none of the 135s upon which I flew had folding tails. BTW and FWIW,
the 135 is not a 707. It is, per Boeing, a 717.....

DaveD With about 10k hours in RC135 aircraft.

I'm not an expert on this stuff, but thought I had read that at least
the KC-135 had this feature. Could it have either been removed, or
just never used?

When I look at my own and other's photos of KC-135s from before the
re-engining projects, they all have what appears to be a walkway
outlined in black (looked like a big check mark) on the port side of
the vertical stabilizer - which would have been the topside when
folded.

http://aviation-safety.net/photos/ai...-P-d-1-500.jpg

Also, wasn't part of the reason the USAF scarfed up so many used 707
and 720 airframes back in the '80s was for replacement vertical stabs
for the KC-135s? Or was the folding stab only implemented on the
367-80?

Sorry - limited vision and blood flow to the brain inhibit further
research on my part at this time.

Bob ^,,^