Emergency Exit

Old July 3rd 18, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wade G

Default Emergency Exit

Regarding a static line, do they just hook to the D-ring?
I’m interested.

A few days ago I fired off an email to Softie for guidance but have not gotten a response.

WG
Old July 3rd 18, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Generally, yes. Something solid in the aircraft so if you get hit on the way out, the line/cord comes tight and pulls the chute release.
Old July 4th 18, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TND

In Australia, the late Paul Mander designed and manufactured a self-contained gas-inflated bladder. One simply unrolls it and places it on the seat of any glider one flies. Just find a spot to secrete the gas bottle, and ensure that the activation toggle is to hand. Because the device is not integrated with the aircraft in any way, it does not need certification.

The device, universally known as "Paul's whoopee cushion", is well engineered and seems to work reliably. Inadvertent inflation in flight is, I understand, uncomfortable rather than disastrous, and the bladder self-deflates in a few seconds.

Paul sold quite a few of them down under. His son Henry was mainly conducting the business, but I don't know where that is at, following Paul's untimely passing early this year.

Digressing slightly, it should be noted that this initiative was one of many contributions that Paul made to gliding in Australia. Sometimes irascible, sometimes divisive, Paul was nevertheless a wonderful person who would give anyone a hand, or offer advice, as well as being an accomplished, record-holding pilot. He was not one dimensional, either, having had many achievements outside gliding, in business and in other pastimes.

--

This
message is intended for the addressee named and may contain

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please

delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are
those
of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of
their
organisation.
Old July 5th 18, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Is this the one that used a lawn tractor inner tube or similar folded in half? I remember one posted here on RAS that looked simple, cheap and effective - a rare combination.
Old July 6th 18, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, July 6, 2018 at 12:30:14 AM UTC+10, wrote:
Is this the one that used a lawn tractor inner tube or similar folded in half? I remember one posted here on RAS that looked simple, cheap and effective - a rare combination.

You know, I never thought to ask Paul what the bladder came from. I assumed it was folded up from rubber sheets and glued. But Paul did own an industrial vehicle related business, so it could well have adapted an inner tube of some kind.

The last time I saw him demo it was with him sitting in a PIK-20. Up he went to just about the sill of the cockpit, then just rolled out.

I know that the gas bottles were something commonly available - drink syphon refills I think.

--

This
message is intended for the addressee named and may contain

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please

delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are
those
of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of
their
organisation.

Air exit vent with engine box? [email protected] Soaring 5 December 8th 15 04:14 AM
An elegant exit Frank Whiteley Soaring 2 May 15th 09 02:28 PM
Accident report - PDA's can restrict emergency exit Ramy Soaring 21 December 31st 06 05:45 PM
How do you exit a F-22 cockpit? John Dallman Naval Aviation 1 May 28th 06 02:51 PM
How do you exit a F-22 cockpit? Mike Naval Aviation 11 May 25th 06 08:01 PM