Shazam!

Old June 29th 18, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Default Shazam!

On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 11:06:52 AM UTC-7, Tony wrote:
Big Congrats to Daniel Sazhin on winning Sports Class Nationals in Nephi with some awesome flying. He's now a two time champion and only 23(or so) Yrs old! Congrats buddy

Way to go Daniel... !

Using a club LS-3 with Nth generation technology, but a 0th generation pilot, using focus and youthful energy

Walt Rogers WX

Old June 29th 18, 11:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
guts

On Friday, June 29, 2018 at 12:38:45 AM UTC-4, WaltWX wrote:
On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 11:06:52 AM UTC-7, Tony wrote:
Big Congrats to Daniel Sazhin on winning Sports Class Nationals in Nephi with some awesome flying. He's now a two time champion and only 23(or so) Yrs old! Congrats buddy

Way to go Daniel... !

Using a club LS-3 with Nth generation technology, but a 0th generation pilot, using focus and youthful energy

Walt Rogers WX

It's not the arrow;it's the Indian.
Great job Daniel
Glen
Old June 29th 18, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RR

Way to go Dan! Great work.

I stopped in to Nephi and had a chance to talk to Dan when I was there. While everyone else was washing there glider, he was block standing the LS-3 with dry 400 (or 600) grit paper. He said, he had the only glider that had improving performance over the length of the contest :-)

Rick
Old June 29th 18, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 5:30:06 PM UTC-4, Michael Opitz wrote:
At 20:27 28 June 2018, Tony wrote:
Well there was the 2013 1-26 Championships in Moriarty where Daniel

flew
"Sweet Red" to a win in a shootout with Ron Schwartz.

OH and Eric - I suggest you don't touch that LS-3 this winter. It

clearly
is running just fine. It's not nearly as bad as Templins, so you can

always
just compare it to that, and if you refinish it you have a big risk of
messing it up!

From what I saw, the radio and instruments could possibly use a
tune up though. Way to go Daniel!

RO

Makes the case that shiny paint and expensive new instruments are less important than the view out the front of the canopy and a well adjusted nut holding the stick.
Gives hope to the little guys.
Well done
UH
Old June 29th 18, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Stunning. Young talented pilot and 1970s sailplane technology lays waste to competition in 2018. Congrats Dan.
I wonder if unique flying conditions this week may have favored the older sailplane design?
No shade on Dan’s victory.
Old June 29th 18, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 4:24:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
When is the last time a national class contest was won by a club glider? I mean, a glider that is actually owned by a glider club, and handed over to the contestant for a couple of weeks to compete at the national level.

Jim Beckman

i won a regional in our club's discus CS a few years back, and placed 12th in the 15 meter nationals in the very same discus CS, but I'm not aware of a national champ doing it in a club glider in the last decade. club class could help fix that!
Old June 29th 18, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 10:38:45 PM UTC-6, WaltWX wrote:
On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 11:06:52 AM UTC-7, Tony wrote:
Big Congrats to Daniel Sazhin on winning Sports Class Nationals in Nephi with some awesome flying. He's now a two time champion and only 23(or so) Yrs old! Congrats buddy

Way to go Daniel... !

Using a club LS-3 with Nth generation technology, but a 0th generation pilot, using focus and youthful energy

Walt Rogers WX

Those 175lb LS-3 wing panels are just the ticket for the US Mountain West and 15m for coring those thermals. With a great pilot, great results. Well done Daniel.

You all please consider visiting https://juniors.ssa.org and following that donate link to support Junior Development.

Frank Whiteley
Old July 3rd 18, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, June 29, 2018 at 7:07:27 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 5:30:06 PM UTC-4, Michael Opitz wrote:
At 20:27 28 June 2018, Tony wrote:
Well there was the 2013 1-26 Championships in Moriarty where Daniel

flew
"Sweet Red" to a win in a shootout with Ron Schwartz.

OH and Eric - I suggest you don't touch that LS-3 this winter. It

clearly
is running just fine. It's not nearly as bad as Templins, so you can

always
just compare it to that, and if you refinish it you have a big risk of
messing it up!

From what I saw, the radio and instruments could possibly use a
tune up though. Way to go Daniel!

RO

Makes the case that shiny paint and expensive new instruments are less important than the view out the front of the canopy and a well adjusted nut holding the stick.
Gives hope to the little guys.
Well done
UH

Also no downplay of the win meant here but I thought sports class handicaps are supposed to equalize the field. Is the idea that the glider is old and not performing to it's own handicap? And I'm not sure this says anything about instrumentation. It probably says a lot more about someone racing Condor more than regularly for years, and flying a lot, and being a skilled, brilliant pilot. He may have only won by more with better instrumentation.... I know every upgrade I've made has made me faster. A modern radio with presets gives you a lot more time to think about flying instead of fiddling the radio to each frequency for example.
Old July 4th 18, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 11:35:33 AM UTC-7, wrote:
In a LS-3! Old tech (with a great pilot) rules!

A bunch of years ago, Chip Garner had accrued a strong resume of contest wins. Spring was approaching, and his Discus in partnership was in the green stage of self-refinishing....
He phoned and asked if he could rent my school's LS-3 to use at the Avenal spring contest. Sure. But it hasn't much for instrumentation, just a good TE vario.

No matter, Chip took her over and whomped on the high-dollar, fancy-panel boys for three days. Then a job required him to go home. The others eeked ahead of him for a couple placements above the guy who only flew 3/5ths of the meet.

Go, Daniel.
It is definitely the human computer who makes the decisions.
The trusty mount is only about 80% of the equation.

Smiling,
Cindy B