Ventus 3F - Fatal

Old July 13th 18, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default Ventus 3F - Fatal

Had a great visit with him at the the SSA Convention in front of his new V3. So sad...
Old July 13th 18, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 1:45:06 PM UTC-6, Jock Proudfoot wrote:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/new-
mexico/articles/2018-07-11/albuquerque-man-dies-in-glider-crash-
near-moriarty-airport

Renny was a good friend to soaring and the SSA. We communicated often and he frequently checked in with Denise at the office. He served a year as an SSA Director at Large and was a member of the Editorial Advisory Committee.. I found him to be an excellent public speaker and tried to get him to do more of that in support of soaring.

My condolences to his friends and family.

Frank Whiteley, SSA Director, Region 9
Old July 13th 18, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 9:20:58 PM UTC-6, Ramy wrote:
Nick’s thoughts are my thoughts exactly. How do we have so much unexplained accidents? Tragic!
Sure, we can wait 2 years for the NTSB report, which will be completely useless unless the local glider pilots will work together with the NTSB and hope for a good investigator, as was the case recently in California. Meanwhile I hope we can learn something.
It is easy and comforting to blame unexplained accidents on health related incapacitation, but I believe this may be true only in small fraction of accidents.
This had been a sad year so far, and we got very lucky in few accidents which did not end up fatal but could have been easily.

Ramy

For the record, the local FSDO is glider friendly and their rep was very thorough in the questions he asked. The NTSB rep was the Denver office manager who normally does not make house calls. He is a former AF pilot, as well as a balloon pilot and had flown gliders while at test pilot school. He was very respectful of the circumstances and was also very thorough regarding the questions he asked. I'm sure his initial report will reflect his efforts to arrive at a conclusion based on the facts at hand.

Billy Hill (Zulu)
Old July 14th 18, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

What do they normally do? They being the NTSB? Or the FAA for that matter.
Y’all quit smoking that weed out there....good Lord Jesus.
Old July 14th 18, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

During the interview that I recently had with the NTSB over the fatality here in Arizona, the NTSB employees lied to my face about information they had and it was totally unnecessary. I was ****ed when I found out the truth. They are not our friends, even tho they try hard to make it seem that they are. They expect you to be honest, but they are apparently not.

Boggs

Old July 14th 18, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

So they were malicious, unethical, unprofessional, lying government employees by your experience supported by undisputed facts.
OK Bogg, send me their names and contacts, location along with your evidence and I will personally see to it that they answer your allegations.
Arizona, recent fatality, glider maybe. Got it. Will plan on contacting people right away. Send along info I requested. Good chance someone will contact you.
You can find my contact info on the SSA site. I have yours.
Thank you.
Old July 15th 18, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

Well Retting, you are putting a lot of words in there that I never used. They looked me right in the eye and lied over and over, but what good could possibly come from exposing them? Will I will be exposing myself to retribution from the FAA? You think it will change anything? I’m pretty sure it is illegal to lie to them, which I would not do, but I’m pretty sure it is not against any of their rules to lie to us. This is a no win situation, and like I said, it wasn’t about anything that was really significant in the long run, it it was also totally unnecessary for them to lie to me. It just points out that they cannot be trusted and that they are not our friends.

Boggs
Old July 15th 18, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Hey, Boggs, PUT UP OR SHUT UP!

Tom
Old July 15th 18, 11:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 9:45:06 PM UTC+2, Jock Proudfoot wrote:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/new-
mexico/articles/2018-07-11/albuquerque-man-dies-in-glider-crash-
near-moriarty-airport

He was so excited about his new V3.

There's a hint. Not saying this is the cause for this accident, but it's sad to see how many people in the past have gotten into trouble for being too confident flying a new aircraft they haven't yet fully figured out. I know all of you who have been around aircraft for any significant amount of time know what I am talking about. Last time I saw this happen was in Mass., where a new pilot from the UK had never flown an aircraft with flaps and got them wrong on final. He ended up in a tree at the far end of the runway, thankfully with nothing but a bruised ego, but we never saw him again.
Old July 15th 18, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Renny was a very thoughtful and careful pilot.Â* His hangar faced mine
and I was there when he brought his new V3 home.Â* Were it me, I would
have flown it that day, but Renny spent well over a week making sure
everything was just right before taking it up for the first time.

Previously he'd flown a LAK-17bFES for 8 or 9 years, so the added
complexity of the FES was probably not an issue.Â* Before that it was a
Discus, I believe; that was before I met him so I can't say for sure,
but I understand he'd flown gliders for around 40 years.

I don't believe his excitement about his new ship had anything to do
with his unfortunate accident.Â* And, though I have little faith in the
outcome of a formal investigation, I'll wait to see what they say before
making any judgments.

--
Dan, 5J