Flying to Texas...recommendations?

Old March 7th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Flying to Texas...recommendations?

We're hoping to depart for Fredericksburg, Texas (T82) next Sunday, to
pay a visit to the Hangar Hotel -- the only other aviation themed
hotel in the country (that we know of).

Fredericksburg itself sounds very neat, and we'll spend a day or two
there, but the kids want WARM weather -- and so do I. We're presuming
that we'll have to fly down to the Gulf coast to hit the really nice
weather, but there's no telling this far out.

San Antonio is nice, and we have friends to visit there, but I'm
looking for alternate suggestions. We'll be at the mercy of late
winter weather, so being flexible will be our best defense!

Any other Gulf coast destination recommendations?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 7th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc

Don't your kids go to school?

Old March 7th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Don't your kids go to school?

"Spring Break" comes early to Iowa....
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 7th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Are your passports in order so that you might go into Mexico?

Nope. We keep meaning to get them, and never seem to have the time.
Regardless, with the entire southern coast of the US to explore, I
hope we'll be able to find warm weather wtihout venturing out of the
country.

As an aside, for those using Google Groups, has anyone noticed the
fantastic assortment of intelligent "sponsored links" that pop up next
to any thread? I started this thread about Texas, mentioned
"Fredericksburg" -- and the links are all for Fredericksburg-area
attractions!

Say what you want about advertising, but THAT is cool -- and useful,
too.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 7th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

I think you and Joe would like South Padre Island.
Jim

Old March 7th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Jay, since you don't have passports it is moot - but friends don't let
friends go to Mexico...
The Guardia Rural watch the local airports...
Rich gringos in airplanes are seen as easy money...
A teen ager wearing a tattered uniform shirt and toting an AK47 will
be informing you that it will cost $$ american to guard your plane...
In my friends case (who speaks fluent spanish) it was $27 to make sure
no one bothered his Baron while he was inside paying the local landing
fee... The airport manager just looked amused and walked away...
It is the last time he flew across Mexico to get to his free care for
the poor medical clinic in Guatemala...

denny

Old March 7th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Allen[_1_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Are your passports in order so that you might go into Mexico?

Nope. We keep meaning to get them, and never seem to have the time.
Regardless, with the entire southern coast of the US to explore, I
hope we'll be able to find warm weather wtihout venturing out of the
country.

I took my family in to get them a few weeks back, three of us had expired
passports and one was due for renewal. $650.00 later we left with all the
applications filled out and filed. Still waiting for the passports to
arrive.

Allen

Old March 7th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

It took about 4 weeks for my wife's passport to arrive after filling out and
filing the required paperwork. It came Priority Mail.
Jim

Old March 7th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

If in your planning you get near Sherman TX Municipal Airport (KSWI) let
me know. I would like to meet you. That is where I base my plane and we
have some of the cheapest gas (100LL sorry no MOGAS on the field.) in
the area. http://ci.sherman.tx.us/airport_dept.asp There is also a
marina on the lake just north of Sherman and a good friend owns it.
There is a 3000 foot runway and a resturant about a 5 minute walk. They
have cottages right on the runway. http://www.cedarmills.com/airfield.htm

Enjoy!

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP

Flying School in Florida / Texas Killol Piloting 20 October 8th 06 08:56 AM
Recommendations for flying in Florida? Alan Finger Piloting 1 January 8th 06 10:46 PM
Texas Taildraggers K. Ari Krupnikov Owning 30 August 21st 05 06:52 AM
A&P North Texas Suzette Owning 3 March 28th 05 01:18 AM
Texas fly-in restaurant RM Piloting 5 November 3rd 03 08:06 AM