Greasing Al-Ko Surge Brake

Old March 10th 09, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Default Greasing Al-Ko Surge Brake

My trailer has an Al-Ko tongue, surge brake, and axle assembly. There
are two grease nipples on the tongue. How much grease do you pump
into the system?

I'm somewhat used to some old stuff (cars, lawn tractors, etc) where
you pump in grease at the nipple and keep pumping until you see grease
spitting out on the "back side". But there isn't any "back side" to
see on my trailer's tongue.

Just give a small grease gun a couple of pumps, or a "standard" size
grease gun just one pump?

Ideas?

Thanks,

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
Old March 10th 09, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 9, 5:03*pm, rlovinggood wrote:
My trailer has an Al-Ko tongue, surge brake, and axle assembly. *There
are two grease nipples on the tongue. *How much grease do you pump
into the system?

I give each about 5 strokes while rotating the shaft back and
forwards. Not saying it's right, but that's what I do.

Thanks for reminding me. I had intended to do it last weekend but got
distracted.

Andy
Old March 10th 09, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 9, 5:10*pm, Andy wrote:
On Mar 9, 5:03*pm, rlovinggood wrote:

My trailer has an Al-Ko tongue, surge brake, and axle assembly. *There
are two grease nipples on the tongue. *How much grease do you pump
into the system?

I give each about 5 strokes while rotating the shaft back and
forwards. *Not saying it's right, but that's what I do.

Thanks for reminding me. *I had intended to do it last weekend but got
distracted.

Andy

I got mine done last evening and, in doing it, remembered that if you
pull the back of the rubber boot away you can see the grease moving
out of the front bearing sleeve.

Andy
Old March 17th 09, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 10, 4:07*pm, Andy wrote:
On Mar 9, 5:10*pm, Andy wrote:

On Mar 9, 5:03*pm, rlovinggood wrote:

My trailer has an Al-Ko tongue, surge brake, and axle assembly. *There
are two grease nipples on the tongue. *How much grease do you pump
into the system?

I give each about 5 strokes while rotating the shaft back and
forwards. *Not saying it's right, but that's what I do.

Thanks for reminding me. *I had intended to do it last weekend but got
distracted.

Andy

I got mine done last evening and, in doing it, remembered that if you
pull the back of the rubber boot away you can see the grease moving
out of the front bearing sleeve.

Andy

Can't recall the details but if you remove the bolt(s) that retain the
sliding portion of the surge brake (the smooth piston to which is
attached the coupler), you can rotate the piston 360 degrees. This
spreads the grease around the full circumference of the tube, not just
the top and bottom where the grease fittings are. Not sure if it
applies to newer trailers but it works fine on my 1992 Cobra.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA