Best Looking Sailplane

Old November 3rd 09, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo

Default Best Looking Sailplane

Andreas,
are they still using the ASW 25 airfoil on the EB 29?
Udo

On Nov 3, 10:22*am, Andreas Maurer wrote:
On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 09:15:29 -0800, ZZ
wrote:

I am a 20B owner but I have to agree...the 22 has it beat *Second is the
ASW17, third is the Kestrel 17.

If you like the 17 and the 22... check out the new Binder EB-29 - its
fuselage is a combination of the 17 and a T-tail.
Not to mention the nice aspect ratio of 51...

http://www.binder-flugmotorenbau.de/eb29.html

Bye
Andreas

Old November 3rd 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 08:27:44 -0800 (PST), Udo wrote:

Andreas,
are they still using the ASW 25 airfoil on the EB 29?
Udo

Hi Udo,

I don't think so - the wing (same as EB-28) is said to be completely
new (it's got a different planform than the ASH-25 wing, the airbrakes
being on the inner wing) and each part of the wing is significantly
lighter than on the 25. It's interesting that the roll rate of the
EB-28 is nearly twice as fast as on the ASH-25, despite its larger
wing span.

However, the main advantage of the EB-28 was/is its higher wing
not significantly inferior to the current open class gliders I dare to
predict that the EB-29's airfoils are slightly inferior to th latest
Schleicher airfoils used on the ASG-29, ASH-310 and ASH-31.

On the other hand... aspect ratio and wing loading rulez - and this is
where the EB-29 excels.

Exciting times if you happen to need to invest 400.000 bucks...

Bye
Andreas
Old November 3rd 09, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

People think I'm crazy when I say the PW-5 is the most beautiful
sailplane in the world. What they don't realize is that I mean a PW-5
with long blond hair.
Old November 15th 09, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 1 Nov., 19:02, glider wrote:
This is a test to see if it works.

*Abnd it's end of season, so we need to know if the Minimoa or the
ASW-20 is best looking sailplane. Maybe the DG-800?

Seems to me we've been here before; and, of course, the answer remains
unchanged: the 1937 DFS Reiher. It's the Penelope Cruz of sailplanes.

http://vintagesailplanes.de/REIHER.HTM

The that settled it once and for all!

Bo Brunsgaard

Old November 16th 09, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Nov 3, 3:07*pm, wrote:
People think I'm crazy when I say the PW-5 is the most beautiful
sailplane in the world. *What they don't realize is that I mean a PW-5
with long blond hair.

Would you mind explaining that??
Old November 16th 09, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Free Flight 107

On Nov 15, 9:28*am, wrote:
On 1 Nov., 19:02, glider wrote:

This is a test to see if it works.

*Abnd it's end of season, so we need to know if the Minimoa or the
ASW-20 is best looking sailplane. Maybe the DG-800?

Seems to me we've been here before; and, of course, the answer remains
unchanged: the 1937 DFS Reiher. It's the Penelope Cruz of sailplanes.

http://vintagesailplanes.de/REIHER.HTM

The that settled it once and for all!

Bo Brunsgaard

My vote is for the 1937 DFS Reiher, hands down, but post WW2 Libelle!

FreeFlight
Old November 17th 09, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chip Bearden[_2_]

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The most beautiful sailplane
might be one you've only seen pictures of, one you own or have lusted
after, or one that triggers certain memories. Then there's
"striking" (almost any Open Class glider) vs. "beautiful". There's
pure superficial beauty vs. the whole package. There's timeless beauty
vs. the latest look. And so on.

I agree the ASW 20 is one of the most beautiful sailplanes ever
created. Subsequent single-seat models--ASW 24 (what I've flown for
the past 18 years), ASW 27 & ASG 29--are very pretty. But to me, the
most beautiful sailplane is the one I grew up seeing in person at our
local Midwestern USA contests and in photos: Len Neimi's Sisu 1A. Alex
Aldott's pic of world free distance holder Al Parker's Sisu stood up
on one wingtip under a Texas sky still gives me chills whenever I see
it. I've always regretted that V-tails went out of style. Of course, I
never had to launch or land with one.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA
Old November 18th 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

Chip,

Taking off and landing a sailplane with a V tail is pretty much like
taking off and landing a sailplane with a T tail. Maybe not quite the
rudder authority at the end of a landing in a high cross wind, but
nothing dangerous that I have noticed.

It is an interesting story as to why V tails went out of favor, at
least one of the reasons.

Ross Nolan shared the following link on the HP glider Yahoo group.

http://glidebarambah.thehorseyard.ne...sholighaus.pdf

Mike

Old November 18th 09, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

-snip-
Len Neimi's Sisu 1A. Alex
Aldott's pic of world free distance holder Al Parker's Sisu stood up
on one wingtip under a Texas sky still gives me chills whenever I see
it. I've always regretted that V-tails went out of style. Of course, I
never had to launch or land with one.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA

Not all V tails are created equal... The Sisu had plenty of
simultaneous elevator and rudder authority and if you were put in it
blindfolded and flew it you would never suspect it wasn't a T- at any
phase of flight. The same can't be said for most others though...

Chip, I entirely agree that the pic of Al doing a hammerhead in his
ship is THE quintessential encapsulation of beauty in the form of a
sailplane. I didn't throw that out there in this thread as I am
obviously jaded.

-Paul Hanson
Sisu 1a, s/n 101, N6390X
Old November 18th 09, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

On Nov 17, 5:26*pm, sisu1a wrote:
[...]

& for those who haven't seen that shot yet...
http://bauerairgroup.com/yahoo_site_...a.54235740.jpg

Could this be used in a sailplane? Spam Soaring 6 July 5th 09 08:16 PM
Another Sailplane Ben Jeffrey Aviation Photos 2 June 24th 08 08:11 PM
New jet sailplane videos Bob C Soaring 1 September 2nd 06 02:52 AM
Sailplane Upholstery Gadget Guy Soaring 3 February 15th 06 09:54 PM
Flying a sailplane is like... Roger Worden Soaring 18 May 5th 05 02:07 PM