Wheel brake effectiveness standards

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 18th 20, 01:17 PM
Delta8 Delta8 is offline
Member

Location: Pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS View Post
On Saturday, October 17, 2020 at 10:19:53 PM UTC-4, Kenn Sebesta wrote:
Hi Kenn - not sure I understand! In the B4 and any other glider I am familiar with, the spoiler handle is on the left side and there is no brake actuation via the spoiler handle - not by pulling it back fully or by a brake lever on that handle. The right hand is on the stick and the brake handle is mounted on it to the front of it. It does not take a lot of dexterity of the hand to wrap two or three fingers around the brake handle and squeeze it while continuing to hold the stick back.

Oh, that's interesting. I've only ever flown the one B-4, and its wheel brake is a separate lever on the airbrake handle. This means that you can't squeeze it at the same time as you're pulling back against the airbrake springs.

The B-4 in this video has the same setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zws1Fy_yNGE.

I see what you mean now! This is not the way I remember the set-up in our B4. Does your B4 have the fixed or retractable gear?

Uli
'AS'
Something not in the conversation so far .I'm wondering how much braking a tail skid adds ? I fly off a grass strip and have a tail skid vs wheel ,I've noticed some up elevator after touchdown ( below stall speed) adds some resistance .Granted not much but I have an old ASW-20a the braking is rather poor but I land flap setting 6 almost every landing, so far I've only need to use the brakes once or twice .