IFR Refresher info?

Old October 4th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
kevmor

Default IFR Refresher info?

So I spent a couple years studying IFR regulations, procedures, etc.
and after I got my IFR rating, I didn't look at anything IFR related
for many months. Then one day I went up with a CFI, and I couldn't
remember basic things such as the 1-2-3 alternate airport
requirements. Anyone know of anywhere that has these important
regulations in a document, like a PDF refresher card, etc? I was
shocked how fast I forgot stuff...

Old October 4th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 23:39:36 -0000, kevmor wrote:

So I spent a couple years studying IFR regulations, procedures, etc.
and after I got my IFR rating, I didn't look at anything IFR related
for many months. Then one day I went up with a CFI, and I couldn't
remember basic things such as the 1-2-3 alternate airport
requirements. Anyone know of anywhere that has these important
regulations in a document, like a PDF refresher card, etc? I was
shocked how fast I forgot stuff...

This is REALLY handy!

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/609

Old October 4th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

The AOPA has some stuff on recurrent training currency.

The IR is detail and if you don't use it you lose it fast.
The currency requirement is 6 months and you must do an ICC
after a year, but that may be enough for a 6,000 pilot who
flies almost daily. But it is very inadequate for the
private pilot who just go the rating and forgot about
recurrent daily training.

ps.com...

Old October 4th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mitty

http://flight-time.com/ has some clever little reference books. I bought two or
three of them. Truthfully I don't use them much but I should probably put the
Instrument Flight Review one into my flight bag. 4 x 6" format, 62 pages.
Alternate airport rules pg. 7.

Old October 4th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 10/03/07 16:39, kevmor wrote:
So I spent a couple years studying IFR regulations, procedures, etc.
and after I got my IFR rating, I didn't look at anything IFR related
for many months. Then one day I went up with a CFI, and I couldn't
remember basic things such as the 1-2-3 alternate airport
requirements. Anyone know of anywhere that has these important
regulations in a document, like a PDF refresher card, etc? I was
shocked how fast I forgot stuff...

Yes... I fell into the same trap. After my check ride, it was about 5 months
until I joined the flying club and asked for an instrument check-out. I was
really astonished at the level of loss I experienced. It took me a couple
months of brush-up lessons before I was able to pass an IPC and get the
sign-off.

One thing that I found very helpful is an instrument check ride preparation
book by Darren Smith:

http://www.geocities.com/cfidarren/buy.htm

Of course, nothing is better than getting out and flying in the system, but
short of that, I would suggest flying complete flights, beginning to end on
MSFS. This will help you to stay sharp on any part of the flight you wish
to use the simulator for. For example, you can brush up on your procedures,
navigation, button pushing, holding, etc.

One problem with this is that I can't practice the use of the GPS used in
the club planes, as there is no simulator available. However, the club is
finally replacing the GPS units with Garmin GNS 430 units for which simulators
are available.

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight Pilot
Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Old October 4th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

On Oct 3, 5:11 pm, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:
The AOPA has some stuff on recurrent training currency.

The IR is detail and if you don't use it you lose it fast.
The currency requirement is 6 months and you must do an ICC
after a year, but that may be enough for a 6,000 pilot who
flies almost daily. But it is very inadequate for the
private pilot who just go the rating and forgot about
recurrent daily training.

Sadly, in my experience as a CFII, any pilot who gets his IR ticket
and then does not activly use it for the first couple of years will
never feel comfortable in the clouds and will not use the rating. This
is why I honestly believe that the IR should not be done by everyone.
Too often I think the IR is used as an "upsale" by CFII's for business
without looking at the actual value that pilots will get from it. If
you just want to become a better VFR pilot there are lots of less
expensive, more fun things to do (sea , multi , tailwheel, 737 type
rating , etc)

-Robert, CFII

Old October 4th 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
tscottme

You can make your own flash cards.

--

Scott

"a community that allows a large number of young men to grow up in broken
homes, dominated by women, never acquiring any stable relationship to male
authority, never acquiring any rational expectation about the future - that
community asks for and gets chaos."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

ps.com...

Old October 5th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Very true. I know there are many CFIs who are not
comfortable in IMC and many others who will not do IR dual
in IMC. Winds scare many pilots, including CFIs. It may
not be comfortable to fly in 30 knot winds below 5,000, but
even on those days when it fcst to be calm, the wind can
blow up.
We trained in winds that happened, even flying BE23-24 in
winds up to 40 knots. The Cessna schools did the same, in
Kansas and Oklahoma, we routinely soloed students as long as
the winds were not greater than 25 knots or gust spread 10
knots and x-winds were within the range in which we had
trained.
Many times I can recall taking off in a Skipper with winds
down the runway at 10 knots and returning 30 minutes later
with winds at 40 kts at 45°. If the CFI won't fly in the
"difficult" weather because of comfort [or fear] how will
the student ever learn how to recover when the weather is
not as fcst.

Do they still offer 737 VFR only type ratings?

ups.com...

Old October 7th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
john hawkins

I got my PPL in Florida and a few years later moved to Texas. When I got my
first checkout in TX it was blowing 25 Knts. I was astounded that anyone
would fly in such winds. After a year of Texas I returned to Florida, I
was amazed at how pilots were scared of a slightly breezy day.

Having run out of money and time My IFR currency of course evapoarted. I
have since been using Microsoft Simulator to get my head back in thegame. It
really helps even it it is not loggable.

Old October 7th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 22:16:44 GMT, "john hawkins"
wrote:

I got my PPL in Florida and a few years later moved to Texas. When I got my
first checkout in TX it was blowing 25 Knts. I was astounded that anyone
would fly in such winds.

It depends on where the winds are. A 25 knot headwind makes for a
nice touchdown or fast liftoff! G

Also, steady is far different than gusts. I'd rather land in 20
steady than 5G20.