Spar gluing

Old November 19th 03, 07:01 PM
Lou Parker

Default Spar gluing

Anyone know of any downfalls to using liquid nails to glue spars together?
And yes, I expect the usual ignorant smart asses, who really don't have an answer.
Lou
Old November 19th 03, 07:14 PM
John Kimmel

Death.

Old November 19th 03, 07:24 PM
Ron Natalie

"Lou Parker" wrote in message om...
Anyone know of any downfalls to using liquid nails to glue spars together?

Liquid Nails isn't much on shear strength and it's pretty thick when applied.

Old November 19th 03, 07:46 PM
Rich S.

"Lou Parker" wrote in message
om...
Anyone know of any downfalls to using liquid nails to glue spars together?
And yes, I expect the usual ignorant smart asses, who really don't have an

answer.
Lou

I built a bird feeder with liquid nails. It lasted six months and then fell
apart.

Rich "ISA" S.

Old November 19th 03, 09:16 PM
Del Rawlins

On 19 Nov 2003 09:01 AM, Lou Parker posted the following:
Anyone know of any downfalls to using liquid nails to glue spars

Interesting choice of words.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old November 19th 03, 10:57 PM
MJC

Don't do it. Liquid Nail (brand name) is not strong enough in the ways that
count for spars.
There's a reason why 30 minute (or longer) epoxy has been used for this
purpose for so long.
I'd give you a smart ass answer too but I can't think of one at the moment.

MJC

om...

Old November 20th 03, 12:48 AM
O-ring Seals

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:57:07 -0600, "MJC" wrote:

Don't do it. Liquid Nail (brand name) is not strong enough in the ways that
count for spars.
There's a reason why 30 minute (or longer) epoxy has been used for this
purpose for so long.
I'd give you a smart ass answer too but I can't think of one at the moment.

MJC

MJC,

A question like that does not deserve even a smart ass answer.

O-ring
Old November 20th 03, 02:03 AM
Dan Thomas

"Rich S." wrote in message ...
"Lou Parker" wrote in message
om...
Anyone know of any downfalls...

Apt use of the term.

Dan
Old November 20th 03, 05:11 AM
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, (Lou Parker) wrote:

Anyone know of any downfalls to using
liquid nails to glue spars together?

Here's the data sheet for the most common formulation of Liquid Nails,
the one called Liquid Nails for Projects:

http://www.liquidnails.com/datasheets/ln601ds.pdf

It shows a best shear strength, achieved after 4 days of cure time, of
"Exceeds 400 psi." I suspect that's like 99-cent deer nuts being under
a buck. And there's no data about how reliably you can count on that
figure.

In comparison, most aircraft-use epoxies will give you a shear
strength of better than 2000 psi, of which you can consistenly enough
count on 1000 psi. Check out the epoxy strength curves on this Sequoia
Aircraft page:

http://seqair.com/skunkworks/Glues/Notes/Notes.html

That said, I've always got a tub or tube of Liquid Nails for Projects
up at the shop. The last time I used a lot of it was to glue on a
canopy for my HP-18. So far, it's held up better than the earlier two
glues that were used for that job.

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob "never argue with the data sheet" K.