First glider inspection/purchase help (not model)

Old April 11th 11, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tstock

Default First glider inspection/purchase help (not model)

Hello all, I am a low hour glider pilot and I am planning to buy my
first glider this summer, but this will be my first aircraft purchase
so I have absolutely no idea what is/should be involved in the
process. I have decided on a few specific models so we can leave
that part out of the equation for now.

I am 99% sure that the aircraft will be out of state here in the USA.
Having never purchased an aircraft, and I am not sure how to go about
inspecting the condition, other than looking at the maintenance log
and that the annual has been done. Should I find someone to do an
inspection before making the drive? Should I ask the owner who he has
been using for the annual inspections?

What else should I be checking into? A/D's that have been done?
Accident history? Last time the plane was flown?

I read one recommendation to insist that the owner take the plane for
a flight because he/she is obviously not going to want to fly an
unsafe plane... seems reasonable but a short gentle flight may not
prove anything, and the owner may simple decline due to time, etc.

Is the anything I need to be aware of transporting the aircraft from
one state to another (state taxes, etc)?

And how does one tow a new aircraft across the USA without being able
to register the trailer in the home state? When I purchased boats
locally it was not a big deal to drive across town with a "just
purchased" sign in the window, but across the country with no plates
could present a problem. Would like to hear how some of you have done
this in the past. I suppose I could place my own vehicle's tag on the
trailer.

Yes these are stupid questions but I'd rather ask something stupid
than do something stupid!

Thanks
Tom

Old April 11th 11, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 11, 2:21*pm, tstock wrote:
[...]

I'd not use some random pilots willingness to fly an aircraft as a
good determination of its airworthiness.

Find an experienced glider A&P who you trust and knows the type and
have them do a pre-purchase inspection. That should be a pull things
apart and look inside inspection, several hours, but depends on the
glider. Absolutely have a W&B done before purchase. If the glider is
of some reasonable value consider flying the A&P to do the inspection
or you might in some rare cases be able to make the sale conditional
upon a inspection on delivery.

There are some A&Ps who I would absolutely trust their word if they
had been maintaining the glider and there are others I would not. I'd
still want an inspection and details of the glider condition from them
in writing.

Even if using an A&P inspector, read all the A&D and TN notes and
understand them and make sure yourself they have been done correctly.

Your A&P will talk to you about experimental vs certified gliders and
paperwork needed. And others here will likely chime in.

Sales/use tax depends on the state where the glider is kept in and on
other details (e.g. no sales/use tax on used gliders in California,
but there is on motorgliders). Property tax depends on the county
where the glider is kept. etc. So you need to tell us more
information.

You can get temporary tags for the trailer, again the details depend
on where. You can't put your own tags on things and I would not do so
as things may get ugly if you are pulled over. Just worry about this
later, after you've found a glider.

Worry now about your budget and how nice a glider and instrument panel
(=avionics etc) and very importantly trailer you can afford and what
type of glider to look for given your experience and what you want to
do. And then spend time drooling over those Wings and Wheels want ads.

Darryl
Old April 12th 11, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

On Apr 11, 2:21 pm, wrote:
Hello all, I am a low hour glider pilot and I am planning to buy my
first glider this summer, but this will be my first aircraft purchase
so I have absolutely no idea what is/should be involved in the
process.

Do get a title search - about $100 from AOPA -
https://aopa.aictitle.com/ServicesandFees.aspx. You would be annoyed if
the sheriff showed up to take your glider because there was an
outstanding lien on it.

Tony V

Old April 12th 11, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tstock

On Apr 11, 7:35*pm, Tony V wrote:
On Apr 11, 2:21 pm, *wrote:
Hello all, I am a low hour glider pilot and I am planning to buy my
first glider this summer, but this will be my first aircraft purchase
so I have absolutely no idea what is/should be involved in the
process.

Do get a title search - about $100 from AOPA -https://aopa.aictitle.com/ServicesandFees.aspx. You would be annoyed if
the sheriff showed up to take your glider because there was an
outstanding lien on it.

Tony V

Ouch now that is something i had not considered.

I am in Florida, and will be purchasing an older 70s era glider,
nothing over 20k.

thanks
Old April 12th 11, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Apr 11, 3:21*pm, tstock wrote:
[...]

Soaring archive, May 1991
Aland Adams, So You Want To Buy A(Used) Fiberglass Sailplane?
[Maintenance and Improvements], page 30

Recent W&B reveals much. When some of these ships were raced, pilots
added lead in the tail to get the CG aft. It might still be in there.

Frank Whiteley

Old April 12th 11, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tom,

After many years of inspecting glider and other flying machines here
are some items you may wish to pay attention to.

1. If you find evidence of damage to the glider that is not recorded
in the log book walk away from it. It is highly likely that there is
other damage that is not recorded.

2. The seat belts and shoulder harnesses should not be more than 12
years old. If the hardware is in good condition the harness and belts
can be re-webbed at a considerable savings over total replacement.

3. If the tow hook is beyond the Tost recommended overhaul time
replacement should be considered. If there is evidence of corrosion
replace it.

4. Have a weight and balance done in your presence before money
changes hands.

5. The condition of the trailer is just as important as the condition
of the glider. Do not buy a trailer that has lots of fiddly things,
loose parts or the use of bungee cords to hold glider parts in place.

6. Be sure to get a legal title to the trailer do not close the deal
until you have it. Some states do not require titles but yours may.
Getting one after the fact can be difficult.

7. If the seller says the glider can be assembled in 15 minutes by one
person make him prove it.

8. Likely the electrical wiring is not aircraft grade and will need
replacing. Be sure there are fuses for each electrical device and also
one protecting the battery.

9. Some older gliders did not have factory supplied battery holders.
Have a critical look at how the battery is secured.

10. The cable actuating the wheel brake is likely corroded and needs
replacing.

There that should get you well on the way to finding a decent glider.
If you love to tinker rather than fly ignore all of the above.

Robert J. Mudd
Composite Aircraft Repair
Moriarty, New Mexico
Come for the thermals stay for the sun sets.
Old April 12th 11, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

1) Listen to Robert's advice!

2) Even if the glider's only $15k, go see it in-person if at all
possible! Even a $500 plane ticket is peanuts compared to a $15k
albatross you decide you don't want or can't fly. Photos simply do
not show enough detail to get a complete sense of the gelcoat/paint
condition.

3) Check your State's Department of Revenue, to find out whether you
will owe sales tax or use tax upon bringing the glider into the state.

4) Trailering a glider cross-country is usually fine if the trailer
has a valid license-plate. Get it home, then contact your local DOL/
DOT to get the aircraft and trailer properly registered in your state.

Good luck, and don't settle! Its far better to search for just the
right ship, than to wind up with something you're not truly satisfied
with.

--Noel

Old April 12th 11, 07:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

On Apr 12, 1:13*am, "noel.wade" wrote:
[...]

Our glider club operates just North of the Florida line near
Tallahassee. If you are near us feel free to pay us a visit.

Lane
XF