Lycoming Engine Parts list - Where to find?

Old August 23rd 04, 10:49 PM
zatatime

Default Lycoming Engine Parts list - Where to find?

I've heard that there is a way to get the "as shipped" parts list off
the web (or somewhere other than Lycoming). I am looking to get the
list of parts contained within my engine when it left Lycoming's
factory.

Does anyone know how to get this, or do I need to work with Lycoming
directly?

TIA for any response.

Old August 24th 04, 02:49 AM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:49:28 GMT, zatatime
wrote:

I've heard that there is a way to get the "as shipped" parts list off
the web (or somewhere other than Lycoming). I am looking to get the
list of parts contained within my engine when it left Lycoming's
factory.

Does anyone know how to get this, or do I need to work with Lycoming
directly?

Unsure exactly what you mean. External accesories and configuration
vary with dash number and airframe application.

Internal parts are a real bitch. Part numbers (generic) you can get
out of a parts manual (plan on some of them being superseded a couple
of times).

If it's a "factory" engine, you MIGHT be able to get a build sheet
from Lycoming, you sure as heck ain't going to be able to get one
anywhere else that I'm aware of.

I've had to take apart waaaay too many engines to verify installed
parts for AD's and SB's. It sucks.

TC

Old August 24th 04, 10:52 PM
Julian Scarfe

Essco sells "Parts Catalogs" for about $20.

http://esscoaircraft.com/level.itml/icOid/6983

I don't know if these are what you're looking for.

Julian

Old August 25th 04, 12:08 AM
zatatime

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:17:43 +0000 (UTC), Aaron Coolidge
wrote:

I thought that as a rule overhaulers listed exactly which parts went into
each engine. Mind, my experience is limited to one overhauler (Pacific
Continental Engines) and one engine (mine: O-360-A4A). I did not have
the engine overhauled, but the build sheet came with the airplane when I
bought it. It listed by manufacturer (Lyc, Superior, etc) and part number
just about every component in the engine. With this I have been able to
avoid AD notes on piston pins, con rod bolts, fuel pumps, etc.
--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)

I've got a list of parts that were replaced at overhaul, which is what
I understand is required. The component in question was not changed
at overhaul so I need to go back to the original build list from
Lycoming.

Old August 26th 04, 03:47 AM

Aaron Coolidge wrote in message ...

I thought that as a rule overhaulers listed exactly which parts went into
each engine. Mind, my experience is limited to one overhauler (Pacific
Continental Engines) and one engine (mine: O-360-A4A). I did not have
the engine overhauled, but the build sheet came with the airplane when I
bought it. It listed by manufacturer (Lyc, Superior, etc) and part number
just about every component in the engine. With this I have been able to
avoid AD notes on piston pins, con rod bolts, fuel pumps, etc.

It's been a couple years since I've been exposed to a set of genuine
Lycoming engine logs/docs. Hopefully they've gotten better, they used
to be about the worst for not listing what you really want to see.
The custom guys do a much better job. Lycoming does list specific SB
compliance, but that doesn't do ya much good when new ones are issued.

It's a sad fact that there are really no life-limited (and a lot of no
s/n) items inside their engines, so technically there is no
requirement for them to be listed. There are some mandatory
replace-at-overhaul parts, but that's a little bit different.
Essentially, if Lycoming makes a log entry with M/N, S/N, TT, TSOH, a
"legal" description of the work performed, that's all they have to do.

It hasn't been that many years ago that they provided no documentation
for installed external accessories. Seriously. Once had a conference
call with tech support at Lycoming with my principal FAA inspector
listening in. He bounced me on a Pt 135 records check on a "factory"
overhaul for no specific records for the magnetos, carb, and
alternator. Lycoming's response was "as the OEM, we're not required to
provide them".

Not too long after, they started providing a build sheet with the
status/detailed description of the externals.

TC
Old August 26th 04, 04:04 AM

zatatime wrote in message . ..
TC -

You hit the nail on the head. Trying to avoid needless (and
expensive) work on my plane. The build sheet is what I'm after. I'll
call Lycoming tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply.

You're welcome.

About the worst one I've been exposed to was a specific s/n range
bulletin. Had to yank all 12 jugs off of a customer's Navajo at 85 hrs
SOH (not to mention 85 hrs after selling him the engines-about $75k)
to verify that Lycoming put the right pocking piston pins in when they
assembled them.

Luckily, I've missed out on their more recent "problems".

TC
Old August 28th 04, 04:32 AM

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 04:49:20 GMT, zatatime
wrote:

snip

You stated in your other post that Lycoming "started producing build
sheets" for their engines. This is what I need. I have asked for it
from Lycoming and the tech rep said he needed to ask permission to
send it to me This is 3 days ago. Do you have any ideas as to how
to convince them they should/have to send it to me so I can verify
compliance with an AD? In the AD text it specifically states to
obtain a build sheet from Lycoming

If you do I'd really appreciate the help. If not thanks for chiming
in in the first place.

Been out of touch for a couple days, hopefully you've resolved this
with Lycoming.

"ask permission" gag choke puke.

I guess I would have told them that I own or operate the engine, and
if the build sheet is not forthcoming via e-mail, fax, or express
freight, I was planning to charter a Skyvan and drop the pocking thing
through their durn roof.

But then again, I've used that one once or twice during hostile
warranty negotiation (pre-IX XI), so you might need to come up with a
new method.

TC