UAV video platform - soaring video potential?

Old August 13th 14, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default UAV video platform - soaring video potential?

An example of what the cool kids are doing when they don't have time or money to soar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma0zeE5QOs8

Hazards managed, this rig would make some great soaring videos. I'd love to see a winch launch from above (and off to the side).

Cost of the rig used to make the video:
Phantom 2 + H3-3D Gimbal ($995) AVL58 FPV Kit with Zeiss Goggles ($1150) iOSD Mini (On Screen Display) ($69)

Old August 13th 14, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have a hex with FPV, 3-axis gimbal GoPro Hero 3 and a PowerFlarm. Haven't tried it with gliders in the air yet. Even so, I don't think it makes me a cool kid :-(
Old August 13th 14, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 11:44:28 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a hex with FPV, 3-axis gimbal GoPro Hero 3 and a PowerFlarm. Haven't tried it with gliders in the air yet. Even so, I don't think it makes me a cool kid :-(

Anybody with a PowerFlarm on his Hex is definitely cool. That's brillant.

Old August 13th 14, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Here it is without camera or PF mounted. It also floats. Ask Sean Fidler why that's a good thing - along with some prop guards. ;-)

https://docs.google.com/folderview?i...doc slist_api
Old August 14th 14, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 11:18:34 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Here it is without camera or PF mounted. It also floats. Ask Sean Fidler why that's a good thing - along with some prop guards. ;-)

https://docs.google.com/folderview?i...doc slist_api

The scary thing is that any idiot with the money to get one can endanger themselves and others, they are remarkably easy to fly. I'm just waiting for the first serious midair with a GA aircraft, a balloon or a glider. These bozos are flying around (illegally right now) people, vehicles, aircraft and over private property. There will be accidents. FPV flying outside line-of-sight is illegal, even below 400' and outside the 5 mi perimeter of airports.
Old August 14th 14, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:28:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:

The scary thing is that any idiot with the money to get one can endanger themselves and others, they are remarkably easy to fly. I'm just waiting for the first serious midair with a GA aircraft, a balloon or a glider.

That's a valid concern, but to put the risk in perspective, they weigh 3-5 pounds. Given their long-armed-structure, shape and size, a mid-air would probably be a glancing blow. A serious accident is certainly possible.

I think the people flying these are birds-of-a-feather with glider pilots and I'd hope that we stay on friendly terms and not be antagonistic when and if our paths cross.

Old August 14th 14, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Interesting. You have expressed on this board that you're worried about out landings, yet you're blase about a mid-air with a 3-5 pound UAV. I think your priorities are all wrong...

-John, Q3
Old August 14th 14, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Not being antagonistic.
A 3-5 pound rock or quad copter hitting my glider at 55knts or better (glider speed) can do a lot of damage and even come through the plexiglas and knock out the pilot. A "glancing blow" on a wing would still make a pretty big hole in the leading edge or damage a horizontal and jam the elevator.

I can see another "full scale" glider, seeing a quad copter at a range that I can expect to maneuver and avoid, not so much.

Flying these birds or any RC aircraft at a public airport without airport management approval and a safety observer is against accepted AMA rules.
Flying these birds with FPV without a safety observer and out of "line of sight" of the safety observer is against AMA rules.
In the US, the FAA expects all RC operators to abide by AMA guidelines and accepted practices.

There have already been "accidents" of hobbiest pilots of quad copters losing control and causing personal injury at public events.
This already has the the FAA's attention.

BillT
Old August 14th 14, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

I have formed a small non profit firm that is shooting a wide range of adventure video in 4k resolution (and stills) with a trio of (state of the art) DJI S1000s using the Zenmuse Gimbal and the state of the art Panasonic GH4 camera. I would love to shoot some glider landings and aero launches (winch launches would be a bonus).

The DJI S1000 platform shoots extremely steady, ultra high resolution video.. Far higher quality then the lower cost 1080p systems (GoPro, etc).

If you (or your club) are interested, please PM me. Of course you can have a copy if all the raw video. I live in Michigan but am willing to travel anywhere in the US or Canada. Mountain backdrops are a "like to have" but not essential.

Best,

Sean

Examples:

http://youtu.be/HEcXBhm1_Dc
http://youtu.be/iDcR_K5Y7GQ
http://youtu.be/4Vs_s6uApWs
http://youtu.be/PShZBTs2V3k
http://youtu.be/BcBgXqW6J-Y - safety parachute
http://youtu.be/j4g_gPfedw8 - layman overview
http://youtu.be/XU4rEbCxSW0 - marketing video
Old August 14th 14, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:16:38 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:28:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:

The scary thing is that any idiot with the money to get one can endanger themselves and others, they are remarkably easy to fly. I'm just waiting for the first serious midair with a GA aircraft, a balloon or a glider.

That's a valid concern, but to put the risk in perspective, they weigh 3-5 pounds. Given their long-armed-structure, shape and size, a mid-air would probably be a glancing blow. A serious accident is certainly possible.

I think the people flying these are birds-of-a-feather with glider pilots and I'd hope that we stay on friendly terms and not be antagonistic when and if our paths cross.

Dear SOF, being clueless and naive should not be an excuse for spouting nonsense. Who is going to pay for the hole in your wing or the damaged canopy or worse after that "glancing blow" you envision? Being hit on your turn to final can well bring down the glider, especially when considering a solo student pilot. This subject is not trivial and we should be unflinchingly opposed to mixing drones with piloted aircraft, including the scenarios Sean is proposing with his "non-profit". He knows that flying drones commercially is verboten right now. Wonder who is going to insure his activities?

Soaring Video? Waveguru Soaring 6 January 27th 13 12:38 PM
New soaring video! soaring23 Soaring 4 November 15th 12 06:49 PM
Soaring Video MikeCarris Soaring 0 September 29th 11 01:47 AM
New Soaring Video Paul Remde Soaring 0 October 11th 06 10:13 PM
Video's of Soaring? JohnH Soaring 1 August 27th 03 12:03 AM