Volocopter - safest aircraft in the world

Old December 14th 15, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Volocopter - safest aircraft in the world

Martin Gregorie wrote on 12/13/2015 7:26 AM:
Personal view: given than BRS landings seem to be quite hard, the thought
of flying something to which the only way out of any type of emergency is
"fire the BRS" is not reassuring.

I think you do not have a good idea of "quite hard" - BRS systems in
certified aircraft like the Cirrus and Phoenix are sized to land the
aircraft slowly enough to avoid injury most of the time.

I think with the Volocopter - we'll have to wait to see if their testing
backs up their claim of "gently", but it certainly seems achievable,
given the lower max speeds. I'm sure they have a number of ways to deal
with the "dead zone" as you obviously need the aircraft to be moving
through the air for a parachute to work. I'm guessing it would not be
allowed to deploy when hovering (and you don't need it then, either),
perhaps by automatic means.

email me)

Old December 14th 15, 09:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kilo-Bravo

Thanks to all of you, supporting what I wrote before and clarified some of the special "chopper-questions". Looks like my english actually is worse than I thought it would be, so not everybody seem to understand what I try to say.

Anyway, who ever has visited the website of e-volo, he should have found at first page the title "Safety first". Clicking at that link, you get a nice picture of the activation-handle for the BRS, as well as a brief description when to use it.
http://www.volocopter.com/index.php/en/safe-en

At this link on YouTube, you get a video showing the first test-shootout of the system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lffpmcuuOPE

And yes, the chute did NOT deploy at this situation, as the craft is static at the ground, no horizontal nor vertical speed, so no air to do the job inflating the chute of course.
In reality, I could only think about two situations, when a helicopter has no vertical or horizontal speed:

1.) the pilot hovers the craft safely somewhere above the ground in any hight,
sure no vertical and no horizontal speed and of course no need to activate thes BRS.

2.) pilot is not hovering safely in the air and again no horizontal nor any
vertical speed - pilot missed the right moment to activate the BRS ......

After all, the VC200 you see at the e-volo website is just the prototype as stated in my article. It has not been operated with occupants in the cockpit but with adequate ballast. As its preliminary permission by Federal Administration (LBA) allows remote controlled and unmanned test-flights only, until its safe operation is finally proofed and the test-program is completed. After that, they sure get full test-permission by the Authority to be operated with occupants on board the craft.

IŽll follow up the further progress of development and report any news at my website (http://ul-segelflug.de/blog.html), so please feel free to visit my site at any time.

Best regards from Germany,
wishing you all and your family-members a nice Christmas-time and a happy, safe and healthy 2016.

Klaus
Old December 14th 15, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 17:36:50 -0800, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Martin Gregorie wrote on 12/13/2015 7:26 AM:
Personal view: given than BRS landings seem to be quite hard, the
thought of flying something to which the only way out of any type of
emergency is "fire the BRS" is not reassuring.

I think you do not have a good idea of "quite hard" - BRS systems in
certified aircraft like the Cirrus and Phoenix are sized to land the
aircraft slowly enough to avoid injury most of the time.

IIRC the reports of the first few SR22 BRS recoveries talked about broken
undercarriages and I'm certain I've seen a photo of a BRS-recovered
glider with a smashed nose. Both fit my definition of 'quite hard'.

I think with the Volocopter - we'll have to wait to see if their testing
backs up their claim of "gently", but it certainly seems achievable,
given the lower max speeds. I'm sure they have a number of ways to deal
with the "dead zone" as you obviously need the aircraft to be moving
through the air for a parachute to work. I'm guessing it would not be
allowed to deploy when hovering (and you don't need it then, either),
perhaps by automatic means.

A situation that would leave it in the dead zone would be if the pilot is
pushing it on battery capacity because he is determined to make his
declared airfield despite a stronger than predicted head wind, the
battery hits zero at less than safe BRS deployment height on approach.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old December 14th 15, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 00:43:19 -0800, Kilo-Bravo wrote:

At this link on YouTube, you get a video showing the first test-shootout
of the system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lffpmcuuOPE

And yes, the chute did NOT deploy at this situation, as the craft is
static at the ground, no horizontal nor vertical speed, so no air to do
the job inflating the chute of course.
In reality, I could only think about two situations, when a helicopter
has no vertical or horizontal speed:

Interesting video. Thanks for posting it.

BTW, from the BRS website "The altitude required is a function of speed
more than height. FAA certified tests have shown that full parachute
inflation could occur as low as 260-290 feet above the ground."

That's 80-90m, but implies that you'd need to be rather higher if flying
slowly or hovering. Bruce's figures for the R22 autorotation recovery
(400ft/125m hovering, 200ft/62m at 55 kts) indicate that a BRS system
would need 150% more height than an R22 for a safe BRS recovery.

1.) the pilot hovers the craft safely somewhere above the ground in any
hight,
sure no vertical and no horizontal speed and of course no need to
activate thes BRS.

2.) pilot is not hovering safely in the air and again no horizontal nor
any
vertical speed - pilot missed the right moment to activate the BRS

Murphy says that something will go wrong at some time & place in both
these situations.

After all, the VC200 you see at the e-volo website is just the prototype
as stated in my article. It has not been operated with occupants in the
cockpit but with adequate ballast. As its preliminary permission by
Federal Administration (LBA) allows remote controlled and unmanned
test-flights only, until its safe operation is finally proofed and the
test-program is completed. After that, they sure get full
test-permission by the Authority to be operated with occupants on board
the craft.

Understood. It will be interesting to see what pilot certification the LBA
decide is needed to fly one.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old December 14th 15, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 4:18:52 PM UTC+3, Martin Gregorie wrote:
That's 80-90m, but implies that you'd need to be rather higher if flying
slowly or hovering. Bruce's figures for the R22 autorotation recovery
(400ft/125m hovering, 200ft/62m at 55 kts) indicate that a BRS system
would need 150% more height than an R22 for a safe BRS recovery.

Just to amplify: 200 ft is always the corner for the R22. 55 knots is the critical speed at max AUW, worst CG and about 3000 ft density altitude. At sea level 53 knots is ok at any altitude, and at 7000 ft you need about 58 knots.
Old December 14th 15, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 06:05:33 -0800, Bruce Hoult wrote:

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 4:18:52 PM UTC+3, Martin Gregorie wrote:
That's 80-90m, but implies that you'd need to be rather higher if
flying slowly or hovering. Bruce's figures for the R22 autorotation
recovery (400ft/125m hovering, 200ft/62m at 55 kts) indicate that a BRS
system would need 150% more height than an R22 for a safe BRS recovery.

Just to amplify: 200 ft is always the corner for the R22. 55 knots is
the critical speed at max AUW, worst CG and about 3000 ft density
altitude. At sea level 53 knots is ok at any altitude, and at 7000 ft
you need about 58 knots.

Understood. I was comparing that 200 ft with the BRS site's quoted 'might
get away with popping it at 260-280ft', this presumably including both
height for the chute to inflate (minimal at speed since the aircraft
pitches up on deployment) followed by the height used up waiting for the
plane to be swinging gently enough for the crew to survive meeting the
ground.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old December 15th 15, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Martin Gregorie wrote on 12/14/2015 5:16 AM:
That's 80-90m, but implies that you'd need to be rather higher if flying
slowly or hovering. Bruce's figures for the R22 autorotation recovery
(400ft/125m hovering, 200ft/62m at 55 kts) indicate that a BRS system
would need 150% more height than an R22 for a safe BRS recovery.

You are assuming the R22 rotor system is intact and functioning
correctly. If the R22 has a failure in the rotor system, I think it's
"gave over", while the Volocopter could deploy it's BRS even with
multiple rotor or motor failures as long as it's high enough. Sure,
there would be a dead zone of a few hundred feet, but the BRS would work
from there up to it's ceiling.

email me)

Old December 15th 15, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Martin Gregorie wrote on 12/14/2015 4:49 AM:
A situation that would leave it in the dead zone would be if the pilot is
pushing it on battery capacity because he is determined to make his
declared airfield despite a stronger than predicted head wind, the
battery hits zero at less than safe BRS deployment height on approach.

We are in agreement that you are in trouble if your thrust stops below a
certain altitude; it doesn't matter how you get there - running your
battery or fuel tank to empty is going to ruin your day.

email me)

Old December 15th 15, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Eric Greenwell wrote on 12/14/2015 7:16 PM:
I think it's "gave over",

That should be "game over"!

email me)

Old December 15th 15, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 19:35:53 -0800, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Eric Greenwell wrote on 12/14/2015 7:16 PM:
I think it's "gave over",

That should be "game over"!

Correct!

As for the rest, please bear in mind that is wasn't looking at
catastrophic structural failure where, of course, you're correct. OTOH I
was on about the situation where the only way out from *any* failure in a
Volocopter is to pop the BRS and pointing out that this is fatal if it
happens down in the death zone at a height from where a conventional
aircraft could usually glide or autorotate to a landing.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Space - Safest Journey neo Piloting 12 January 29th 07 06:26 PM
Navy commander: C130 plane, among safest aircraft worldwide Droopy Drawerz Naval Aviation 0 December 19th 05 01:14 PM
Restored Second World War Aircraft Unveiled NewsBOT Simulators 0 February 18th 05 10:46 PM
Dark Blue World aircraft? JDupre5762 Military Aviation 3 January 1st 04 07:42 PM