AF#2/conditions

Old October 14th 06, 08:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Christopher Range

Default AF#2/conditions

My fiance has been cleared to fly and, since I am not having any
problems with my shunt, I am almost assured of being cleared to fly.

My only concern now is, the weather since, we have had light dustings
the last three days, at about the same time every day.

Since it is 10-14-2006 and, the flight is on 10-29-2006, I am curious
how much snow would ground the planes(at least in North Central Minnesota)?

Christopher
Old October 14th 06, 10:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Christopher Range posted:

My fiance has been cleared to fly and, since I am not having any
problems with my shunt, I am almost assured of being cleared to fly.

My only concern now is, the weather since, we have had light dustings
the last three days, at about the same time every day.

Since it is 10-14-2006 and, the flight is on 10-29-2006, I am curious
how much snow would ground the planes(at least in North Central
Minnesota)?

If you are talking about snow on the runway, it only depends on how the
airport is maintained. I fly all year around in northern Ohio, and only
get concerned about those airports with very narrow runways when the snow
banks on either side are higher than the wings.

Neil

Old October 14th 06, 11:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Christopher Range

Neil Gould wrote:

Recently, Christopher Range posted:

My fiance has been cleared to fly and, since I am not having any
problems with my shunt, I am almost assured of being cleared to fly.

My only concern now is, the weather since, we have had light dustings
the last three days, at about the same time every day.

Since it is 10-14-2006 and, the flight is on 10-29-2006, I am curious
how much snow would ground the planes(at least in North Central
Minnesota)?

If you are talking about snow on the runway, it only depends on how the
airport is maintained. I fly all year around in northern Ohio, and only
get concerned about those airports with very narrow runways when the snow
banks on either side are higher than the wings.

Neil

Neil, The airport in question is the Duluth(Minnesota) International
Airport. Considering the proximity to Canada, we are usually one of the
first states in the U.S. to encounter a blast from a 'Canadian cold
front'. The airport serves both passenger and, general aviation
aircraft, in addition to having the U.S. Air Force 148th Fighter Wing.

Considering, both, the military and, passenger aspect, I am sure runways
are kept clear. Where my concern is, visibility at the time of
take-off, considering the weather we have had the last three days as to,
how bad the weather would have to be to, cause a general aviation plane
to be grounded.

I am not dreaming of ending up like Richie Valens, Buddy Holly n' The
Big Bopper.

Christopher
Old October 14th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 05:13:39 -0500, Christopher Range
wrote in :

I am not dreaming of ending up like Richie Valens, Buddy Holly n' The
Big Bopper.

Then don't go up in IMC with a Pilot In Command who is not instrument
rated and current.

Old October 14th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Christopher Range

wrote in :

I am not dreaming of ending up like Richie Valens, Buddy Holly n' The
Big Bopper.

Then don't go up in IMC with a Pilot In Command who is not instrument
rated and current.

I forgot about the instrument rating, thankyou.

Christopher
Old October 15th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche Cohen

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 05:13:39 -0500, Christopher Range

I am not dreaming of ending up like Richie Valens, Buddy Holly n' The
Big Bopper.

Then don't go up in IMC with a Pilot In Command who is not instrument
rated and current.

Larry:

This person has valid, medical concerns. He's already apprehensive and
trying to understand what's involved with small GA aircraft. He has
no knowledge of aviation other than commercial airlines. He's trying
to deal with an unpleasant situation and trying to learn more about
the unfamiliar environment he's going into.

Patience, please.

At least it's not mxmanic trolling.

Old October 16th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Christopher Range

Larry Dighera wrote:
On 15 Oct 2006 16:18:22 GMT, (Blanche Cohen)
wrote in :

Larry Dighera wrote:

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 05:13:39 -0500, Christopher Range

I am not dreaming of ending up like Richie Valens, Buddy Holly n' The
Big Bopper.

Then don't go up in IMC with a Pilot In Command who is not instrument
rated and current.

Larry:

This person has valid, medical concerns. He's already apprehensive and
trying to understand what's involved with small GA aircraft. He has
no knowledge of aviation other than commercial airlines. He's trying
to deal with an unpleasant situation and trying to learn more about
the unfamiliar environment he's going into.

Patience, please.

At least it's not mxmanic trolling.

Did my response to his statement seem impatient? It was meant to
allay his fears with some pertinent information. I meant no
disrespect.

Blanche, Thankyou for the support.

Larry, While I don't think you had bad intentions by what you said, I
had to read what you said several times, to play it in my head, as to
how it might sound both, positively and, negatively.

I will admit when, you said 'IMC', I knew it was flying term yet, I had
never heard it before. I finally found it after a short search. I felt
stupid for not realizing what it was. I kept thinking, 'I know what IFR
and, VFR are, but, I am stumped?', until I found what it meant.

The weather has stopped being erratic. I was able to go out in shorts
again so, I feel better.

Christopher
Old October 16th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 18:53:56 -0500, Christopher Range
wrote in :

Larry, While I don't think you had bad intentions by what you said, I
had to read what you said several times, to play it in my head, as to
how it might sound both, positively and, negatively.

My point, was that the apparent cause of the tragic "day the music
died" involved a pilot attempting to operate a charter flight in
weather conditions for which he was not authorized to do so. If you
sincerely wish to avoid the plight of the musicians, check the
credentials of the Pilot In Command of the flight before you board. I
wouldn't be offended if I were asked politely.

While it was factual and informative, I have no idea how my comment
could possibly be construed as negative.

Old October 16th 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Christopher Range

wrote in :

Larry, While I don't think you had bad intentions by what you said, I
had to read what you said several times, to play it in my head, as to
how it might sound both, positively and, negatively.

My point, was that the apparent cause of the tragic "day the music
died" involved a pilot attempting to operate a charter flight in
weather conditions for which he was not authorized to do so. If you
sincerely wish to avoid the plight of the musicians, check the
credentials of the Pilot In Command of the flight before you board. I
wouldn't be offended if I were asked politely.

While it was factual and informative, I have no idea how my comment
could possibly be construed as negative.

It 'negative' at first so, that is why I didn't respond immediately
because, I didn't want to misunderstand what you were saying.

For me, the 'clincher' in it actually being positive, came from
mentioning IMC. I became so focused on figuring out what that meant, by
the time I did figure it out, I started wanting to bang my head on
something for realizing what it meant. I knew:

I=Instrument

but, I was stumped on the 'M' and, the 'C', till I found it on wikipedia.org

Never at anytime, did I think your response was premeditated and/or,
purious in nature.