How do weather services get sky conditions above the surface?

Old July 24th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rocky Stevens

Default How do weather services get sky conditions above the surface?

BTW, if anyone else would like to weigh in with a serious answer, I
would appreciate it. I can sort of see how they could use radar to
determine clound coverage, but the winds aloft thing is really
puzzling me. Take a look at http://www.navmonster.com/wx/KCDW-25; just
one Pirep (which does not even include winds aloft) but they have
winds aloft for various altitudes.
Old July 24th 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
§ñühwØ£f

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:57:53 +0000, Bertie the Bunyip aided th' terraists
with the following claims :

buttman wrote in
:

On Jul 23, 9:20Â*am, Gig 601Xl Builder
wrote:
Rocky Stevens wrote:
On Jul 23, 10:05 am, "Steven P. McNicoll"
On Jul 23, 9:37 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
It's easy enough to establish measurement stations on the
surface to measure wind, temperature, visibility, etc., but what
is the normal way for meteorologists to measure these things
aloft? Do they depend on PIREPs, or expendable/recoverable
probes and balloons, or satellites, or what?

I would a55ume that they have planes in the air at some point and the
aircraft report the ceiling height of teh clouds and then they estimate
windspeed from observaton stations on the ground.
I'm just guessing. I knew a weather observer once.

Old July 24th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Rocky Stevens wrote:
BTW, if anyone else would like to weigh in with a serious answer, I
would appreciate it. I can sort of see how they could use radar to
determine clound coverage, but the winds aloft thing is really
puzzling me. Take a look at http://www.navmonster.com/wx/KCDW-25; just
one Pirep (which does not even include winds aloft) but they have
winds aloft for various altitudes.

RADAR, LIDAR, balloons, airplanes, among other things.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old July 24th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Morgans" wrote in message

I'm glad for your amusement, but do you think your amusement is worth the
dismantling of one of the (previously) most useful forums on aviation, by
aviators?

If you think that it is worth it, then you have too high of a value placed
on your own entertainment.

Ignoring him is not sufficient. His departure is the only thing that is
sufficient.
--
Jim in NC

I took a 12 month vacation from RAP. He still didn't leave. When I came back
most of the posts I saw were MX, followed by bertie, followed by Max,
followed by bertie - max - bertie - max - - - - -

I'm trying to figure out how to set up my own nntp server, with my own
rules. Once I've got it up and running the way I want, I'll publish the
address.

Here's a preview:

You'll never see a post by MX, Bertie, or Max, nor will you ever see a
response to them.
You'll also never see a post by a spammer, unless a known poster decides to
spam, or if I decide it's not really spam.

Old July 24th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_5_]

Steve Foley wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how to set up my own nntp server, with my own
rules. Once I've got it up and running the way I want, I'll publish the
address.

Just start a moderated forum. It's a lot of work, but, less work than
managing an nntp server.

Most people don't like moderated forums but, believe me, at this point
there are plenty of people here who would give it a try. The PHP-based
forums that Dudley et al moved to are immensely useful as well,but
they're a little more time-consuming to read everything.
Old July 24th 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Rocky Stevens wrote in news:df844305-ac37-4d08-
:

BTW, if anyone else would like to weigh in with a serious answer, I
would appreciate it. I can sort of see how they could use radar to
determine clound coverage, but the winds aloft thing is really
puzzling me. Take a look at
http://www.navmonster.com/wx/KCDW-25; just
one Pirep (which does not even include winds aloft) but they have
winds aloft for various altitudes.

They do it primarily from the pressure gradient. The steeper the gradient
the stronger the wind.

Actually, measuring between the isobars along your route regardless of the
angle they may form in relation to it, only counting the frequency, will
give you a very good idea of your head or tail and crosswind.

There's a scale on some types of detailed surface charts that directly give
the geostrophic wind speed based solely on isobar seperation.

Bertie

Old July 24th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default An nntp of my very own!

"Steve Foley" wrote in

"Morgans" wrote in message

[...]

Snort.

Like that'd stop me.

Bertie
Old July 24th 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Rocky Stevens wrote:

On Jul 23, 7:42 pm, "Morgans" wrote:
I'm glad for your amusement, but do you think your amusement is worth the
dismantling of one of the (previously) most useful forums on aviation, by
aviators?

The thing is, the "dismantling" is done by the people that with
respond to him with such classy comments as "you are poor, and have no
life," not by Msmanix himself. I have been lurking for quite a while
now, and rarely do I see his posts warrant the responses he gets.

Which is a goal of trolls.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old July 25th 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Steve Foley

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

Snort.

Like that'd stop me.

You'll just be another tree falling in the woods.