How do weather services get sky conditions above the surface?

Old July 25th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default An nntp of my very own!

"Steve Foley" wrote in news:1R8ik.261825
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

Snort.

Like that'd stop me.

You'll just be another tree falling in the woods.

Wanna bet?

Bertie
Old July 25th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Steve Foley

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

Wanna bet?

Bertie

How much?

Old July 25th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Steve Foley" wrote in news:ZI9ik.261937
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

Wanna bet?

Bertie

How much?

Your diginity, of course.

Bertie
Old July 25th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

Wanna bet?

How much?

Your diginity, of course.

Bertie

Against what?

Old July 25th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Mxsmanic

Default How do weather services get sky conditions above the surface?

§ñühwØ£f writes:

I would a55ume that they have planes in the air at some point and the
aircraft report the ceiling height of teh clouds and then they estimate
windspeed from observaton stations on the ground.
I'm just guessing. I knew a weather observer once.

That makes sense. I wonder how they estimate things like heights and
distances, though. I suppose experience would help to come up with educated
guesses for these, but one might still be way off. Certainly experience would
be useful in recognizing specific cloud types and patterns.

One article I read (I think it was Wikipedia) mentioned just ten radiosondes
for the entire Caribbean, that's hardly what I'd call high-resolution
measurement. You could almost fit a hurricane between radiosondes.
Old July 25th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Steve Foley" wrote in news:eX9ik.133616
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

Wanna bet?

How much?

Your diginity, of course.

Bertie

Against what?

Your dignity, of course.

Bertie
Old July 25th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

buttman writes:

As far as in-between could layers, its only reported by pireps. Its
very common to ask ATC what the cloud tops are and get a response "I
don't know, no one has given any pireps yet" No one hardly ever flies
VFR between cloud layers, because its too easy to get stuck, therefore
no one bothers making a chart for multiple cloud layers.

That hadn't occurred to me. If you're VFR you definitely wouldn't want to be
stuck between clouds, so the in-between layers aren't important. And if
you're IFR it doesn't matter ... unless the clouds are associated with icing
or severe turbulence.
Old July 25th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

§ñühwØ£f writes:

I would a55ume that they have planes in the air at some point and the
aircraft report the ceiling height of teh clouds and then they
estimate windspeed from observaton stations on the ground.
I'm just guessing. I knew a weather observer once.

That makes sense. I wonder how they estimate things like heights and
distances, though. I suppose experience would help to come up with
educated guesses for these, but one might still be way off. Certainly
experience would be useful in recognizing specific cloud types and
patterns.

One article I read (I think it was Wikipedia) mentioned just ten
radiosondes for the entire Caribbean, that's hardly what I'd call
high-resolution measurement. You could almost fit a hurricane between
radiosondes.

You are an idiot.

Bertie
Old July 25th 08, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Rocky Stevens writes:

Not that it really matters, but I am sure you could pass the FAA
written; it is a very easy, multiple choice test.

Maybe, but tests tend to stress me a lot and I don't do well on them. I hate
competition.

I think the study guides may even have the actual questions that
will be asked in them.

I have a little blue one that is pretty good that I've read through on many
occasions.

But you are right about the cost; it is pretty damned expensive.

Even more so in Europe. Here I've been told that the private pilot license
could cost up to $30,000, and an IFR rating would double that.

FWIW, I think you would really dislike lessons anyway, as your
intellectual curiosity would not be satisfied, and very well may
irritate the hell out of your instructor (you can see the responses
you get here).

That has always been a problem for me in such environments, although it
depends on the structure and the instructor. Instructors who are insecure or
incompetent enough to dislike questioning come to hate me very quickly. Those
who enjoy elaborating on all sorts of details find me a refreshing change from
many students (who often are only interesting in learning enough to pass an
exam).
Old July 25th 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
Rocky Stevens writes:

Not that it really matters, but I am sure you could pass the FAA
written; it is a very easy, multiple choice test.

Maybe, but tests tend to stress me a lot and I don't do well on them. I hate
competition.

Since it is an impartial evaluation of your knowledge, I can see why
that might stress you.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.