Airliner crashes into Hudson River after LGA departure

Old January 18th 09, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.disasters.aviation,rec.arts.poems,demon.local
Bertie the Bunyip[_28_]

Default Maxie begins a new kook-out.were.... Airliner crashes into Hudson River after LGA departure

ah wrote in
anews.com:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
ah wrote in news:49728b5c$0$57670
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote in news:%Focl.29929$H12.18354
@newsfe12.iad:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
John wrote in
@u18g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

On Jan 15, 3:12 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Kingfish writes:
Holy smokes! CNN is reporting an airliner went down in the

Hudson
after departing LaGuardia. I heard something about
birdstrikes,
but
can't imagine a double engine failure due to that(?) They
sure picked a cold day to go swimming... Hope everybody is
ok...

Bird strikes are a leading cause of engine failure. Jet engines
don't
often
fail all on their own.

Well, according to
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...y_channel.jsp?
channel=busav&
id=news/eng08036.xml

By the way, the study's authors noted that compressor

stalls/surges
account for two-thirds of the engine malfunctions in today's
turbofans. This is a change from earlier generation turbine

designs
in
which uncontained failures were the principal malfunction. Since
stall/ surge is the primary engine malfunction, one would assume
that
it would be a regular item during initial, recurrent or
simulator training. And yet, I cannot recall ever reviewing the
matter or
being
exposed to a compressor stall/surge during a simulator session.

I have, but only a couple of times and just to run through the
drill.Most checklists just have you retarding the throttle and/or
shutting down anyhow.
Most times nowadays with high bypass fans it trashes the engine
straight
away, unlike the old JT8s and such which would fart away happily
enough
until you pulled the thrust lever back.

Bertie

Sounds like you, retarded and farting away.

Awww, maxie make a witty!

ROLF!

Tie me kangaroo down, sport.

What-ho, Squiffy?

uh wwuh uh wwuh uh whiggga whigga whuh..

Bertie
Old January 18th 09, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.disasters.aviation,rec.arts.poems
§ñühw¤£f[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip pinched out a steaming pile
:

ah wrote in
tanews.com:

Kingfish writes:
[...]

I propose a technological solution to the problem of bird strikes:
turboprops.
Lets return to the good old days pre-jet engines.

Discuss.

--
http://www.bds-palestine.net/?q=node/9
___ ___ ___ ___
Old January 18th 09, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.disasters.aviation,rec.arts.poems
Viperdoc[_6_]

Default Turboprops

I flew into somewhere in SD in a Mesaba Saab 340. The flight before had a
bird strike on the windshield (goose), that broke off the windshield wiper.
The wiper blade then hit the prop, which flung the broken blade through the
side of the fuselage, impaling itself in the thigh of one of the pax. He had
to go to the operating room for some sort of surgery, but I do not think it
broke his femur. Talk about bad luck.

They flew in a new prop the next day, and there was some speed tape on the
side of the fuselage.

I've always wondered if the pax got to ride free on NWA for the rest of his
life.

Old January 18th 09, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.disasters.aviation,rec.arts.poems
Bertie the Bunyip[_28_]

"Viperdoc" wrote in
:

I flew into somewhere in SD in a Mesaba Saab 340. The flight before
had a bird strike on the windshield (goose), that broke off the
windshield wiper. The wiper blade then hit the prop, which flung the
broken blade through the side of the fuselage, impaling itself in the
thigh of one of the pax. He had to go to the operating room for some
sort of surgery, but I do not think it broke his femur. Talk about bad
luck.

They flew in a new prop the next day, and there was some speed tape on
the side of the fuselage.

yipes. An airplane I uswed to fly had a wiper come loose and go right
through the engine, trashing it, but that is bad luck.

BTW, thehole in the fuse had to have had more than speed tape over it
unless thye were ferrying it unpressurised!

I've always wondered if the pax got to ride free on NWA for the rest
of his life.

Hehe
He'd have been lucky to get a taxi ride to the hospital for free!

They'd prolly refuse to give him anything to avoid being seen as shoudergin
any blame whatsoever, I'd a thought.

Bertie
Old January 18th 09, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
news
They established that two days ago.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

Well don't tell me, tell Big John. He's the one that supposed it was down.

Old January 18th 09, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Ricky" wrote in message
On Jan 17, 2:17 pm, "Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote:

I wonder if the gear was still down from take off, and they didn't have
time
or power to lift it.

That statement is as idiodic as some things MX says...oh, wait, you
have an "MX" in your sig, too. Go figure, two of the worst trolls have
"MX" in their names.

Oh really, and how do you figure that.

From the photo of the plane as it approached the river and the fact
that he was above 3,000 ft, when the birdstrike occured. I know your
aviation knowlege is practically nil, but an airline usually retracts
their gear by then, just so you know.

Any idea what his altitude was when sh** started happening?

About 3,400 ft, according to http://www4.passur.com/lga.html.

Any more stupid questions, MX?

Ricky

Yeah dicky, why are you arguing with statements made two days ago, and based
on nothing but speculation?

Old January 18th 09, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
"RST Engineering" wrote in
m:

One of the things that helped him make that decision was that he had
hundreds, if not thousands of "dead stick landings" as a flight
instructor, glider.

Jim
CFIG

Well, I wouldn't say there was much of a decision to be made, myself. no
thrust and all that. Glider instructor woudl have helped him control the
airplane OK.

Well you wouldn't say a lot of things, if they didn't serve to primp your
own ego.

Was chattin with an A320 driver last night and he told me the airplane's
flight controls would have gone into a a law that the crew weren't used to
as a result of the power loss ( unless they hade the APU running which is
not likely) making the handling less than intuitive for him.
Bertie

You hear a lot of voices, don't you? Check back in when (if) you sober up.

Old January 18th 09, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_6_]

From across the ramp it sure looked like speed tape, although it could have
been a riveted patch. South Dakota to MSP is a pretty short flight.

If I had been that guy I would have demanded a free first class pass for
four pax domestic and international for the rest of my life. Even if NWA won
the lawsuit, the cost of litigation would probably have been cheaper than
the tix.

Old January 18th 09, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

snip of your usual bull**** -

Good job Gertie. After the absence of your ignorance for a couple of months,
the newsgroup begins to show signs of becoming useful again, and here you
are, spouting your wanna be troll nonsense, and cross posting to the kook
world.

Are you afraid Mx was stealing your thunder?

Old January 18th 09, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.disasters.aviation,rec.arts.poems
Bertie the Bunyip[_28_]

"Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote in
:

[...]

Awww, drinkin lames!

how kewt!

Good for you Maxie, you just keep pluggin away there.

Bertie

Plane down in Hudson River Judah Piloting 10 January 6th 06 05:15 PM
Peruvian airliner crashes in jungle Bushleague Piloting 4 August 24th 05 04:37 PM
Flying down the Hudson River SeeAndAvoid Piloting 19 March 24th 04 07:26 PM
Hudson river Paul Sengupta Piloting 2 January 9th 04 01:18 AM
Hitting airliner with rifle round? [was: PK of Igla vs. airliner] B2431 Military Aviation 7 August 20th 03 11:29 PM