Airliner crashes into Hudson River after LGA departure

Old January 18th 09, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flydive

Default Turboprops

Viperdoc wrote:
From across the ramp it sure looked like speed tape, although it could have
been a riveted patch. South Dakota to MSP is a pretty short flight.

If I had been that guy I would have demanded a free first class pass for
four pax domestic and international for the rest of my life. Even if NWA won
the lawsuit, the cost of litigation would probably have been cheaper than
the tix.

But how in any way was the fault of MWA what happened?
Old January 18th 09, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Viperdoc" wrote in
:

From across the ramp it sure looked like speed tape, although it could
have been a riveted patch. South Dakota to MSP is a pretty short
flight.

They could have flown it, but it would almost certainly have been a ferry
to get the skin patched. Just rivets won't do it AFAIK, it has to be
bondded. Problem with pressurised fuselages is that a tear like that is a
stress riser, so even a little patch has to be prepared and doen properly.
not a big issue if you fly it unpressurised, though.

If I had been that guy I would have demanded a free first class pass
for four pax domestic and international for the rest of my life. Even
if NWA won the lawsuit, the cost of litigation would probably have
been cheaper than the tix.

But why would the pax settle for it? I wouldn't I'd sue em.

Bertie
Old January 18th 09, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.disasters.aviation,rec.arts.poems
Bertie the Bunyip[_28_]

"Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

snip of your usual bull**** -

Good job Gertie. After the absence of your ignorance for a couple of
months, the newsgroup begins to show signs of becoming useful again,
and here you are, spouting your wanna be troll nonsense, and cross
posting to the kook world.

Are you afraid Mx was stealing your thunder?

Nope, i just like watching you bitch and moan. It's a bit like watching a
turtle turned on it's back.

Bertie
Old January 18th 09, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Flydive wrote in :

Viperdoc wrote:
From across the ramp it sure looked like speed tape, although it
could have been a riveted patch. South Dakota to MSP is a pretty
short flight.

If I had been that guy I would have demanded a free first class pass
for four pax domestic and international for the rest of my life. Even
if NWA won the lawsuit, the cost of litigation would probably have
been cheaper than the tix.

But how in any way was the fault of MWA what happened?

hardly matters, really. All you got to do is get 12 people together who
have been ****ed off by airlines!
Highyl unlikely, i know, but surely not completely beyond the realsm of
possibility.

Bertie

Old January 18th 09, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.disasters.aviation,rec.arts.poems
Bertie the Bunyip[_28_]

Default Airliner crashes into Hudson River after LGA departure

"Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote in
:

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
news
They established that two days ago.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

Well don't tell me, tell Big John. He's the one that supposed it was
down.

And Maxie proves Aristotle entirely correct..

Bertie
Old January 18th 09, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.disasters.aviation,rec.arts.poems
Bertie the Bunyip[_28_]

"Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote in
:

"Ricky" wrote in message

.
.. On Jan 17, 2:17 pm, "Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote:

I wonder if the gear was still down from take off, and they didn't
have time
or power to lift it.

That statement is as idiodic as some things MX says...oh, wait, you
have an "MX" in your sig, too. Go figure, two of the worst trolls
have "MX" in their names.

Oh really, and how do you figure that.

From the photo of the plane as it approached the river and the fact
that he was above 3,000 ft, when the birdstrike occured. I know your
aviation knowlege is practically nil, but an airline usually retracts
their gear by then, just so you know.

Any idea what his altitude was when sh** started happening?

About 3,400 ft, according to
http://www4.passur.com/lga.html.

Any more stupid questions, MX?

Ricky

-
--

Yeah dicky, why are you arguing with statements made two days ago, and
based on nothing but speculation?

And again, aristotle wins out.

Bertie

Old January 18th 09, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.disasters.aviation,rec.arts.poems
Scott M. Kozel

§ñühw¤£f wrote:

I propose a technological solution to the problem of bird strikes:
turboprops.
Lets return to the good old days pre-jet engines.

Discuss.

On Oct. 4, 1960, 62 people died when Eastern Airlines Flight 375 plunged
wing-first into Boston Harbor after flying into a flock of birds shortly
after takeoff. It was the first commercial airline crash in Logan
Airport's history, the deadliest air disaster in New England history at
the time, and it remains the most deadly crash in US history involving a
bird strike. Nine of the 10 survivors had serious injuries.

The Eastern Airlines Lockheed Electra four-engine turbo-prop airliner
had 72 people aboard and was bound for Atlanta. The plane flew into a
flock of starlings at an altitude of 400 feet. Three engines lost power,
and the plane stalled and spun, crashed into water 200 yards offshore,
and broke in half.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...s_boston_1960/

Old January 18th 09, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.disasters.aviation,rec.arts.poems
Scott M. Kozel

§ñühw¤£f wrote:

I propose a technological solution to the problem of bird strikes:
turboprops.
Lets return to the good old days pre-jet engines.

Well ... while the L-188 Lockheed Electra example is a turboprop, the
above poster apparently didn't realize that a turboprop engine has a jet
engine.

Discuss.

The large piston engines were incredibly complex, and generally could
drive airliners at only about half the speed of those with the pure jet
engines.
Old January 18th 09, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
"Viperdoc" wrote in
:

From across the ramp it sure looked like speed tape, although it could
have been a riveted patch. South Dakota to MSP is a pretty short
flight.

They could have flown it, but it would almost certainly have been a ferry
to get the skin patched. Just rivets won't do it AFAIK, it has to be
bondded. Problem with pressurised fuselages is that a tear like that is a
stress riser, so even a little patch has to be prepared and doen properly.
not a big issue if you fly it unpressurised, though.

If I had been that guy I would have demanded a free first class pass
for four pax domestic and international for the rest of my life. Even
if NWA won the lawsuit, the cost of litigation would probably have
been cheaper than the tix.

But why would the pax settle for it? I wouldn't I'd sue em.

Bertie

As usual, you have a tremendous grasp on the obvious. Kind of like Mx.

Old January 18th 09, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.disasters.aviation,rec.arts.poems
george

On Jan 19, 7:46*am, "Scott M. Kozel" wrote:

The large piston engines were incredibly complex, and generally could
drive airliners at only about half the speed of those with the pure jet
engines.

And required expensive major overhauls that didn't guarantee flawless
performance :-(..
Let's stick with the simple functional jet turbine..

Plane down in Hudson River Judah Piloting 10 January 6th 06 04:15 PM
Peruvian airliner crashes in jungle Bushleague Piloting 4 August 24th 05 04:37 PM
Flying down the Hudson River SeeAndAvoid Piloting 19 March 24th 04 06:26 PM
Hudson river Paul Sengupta Piloting 2 January 9th 04 12:18 AM
Hitting airliner with rifle round? [was: PK of Igla vs. airliner] B2431 Military Aviation 7 August 20th 03 11:29 PM