Honey, Your jig's on fire!

Old May 28th 09, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
wright1902glider

Default Honey, Your jig's on fire!

For the past few days, I've been working on a project that is semi-
related to aviation. That is, its related by the fact that the skills
necessary to complete it may also be usefull in building an aircraft.
I like to think of it as a training project.

What I'm building is a kinetic-sculpture racing vehicle. By
definition, its a whacky-looking multi-wheeled craft powered only by
humans that will be capable of traversing roads, trails, sand, mud,
and small lakes. These crafts also have an artistic theme, but that's
not really important. The real issue is that my craft is being
constructed of welded steel tubing. In that respect, the skills
required are exactly the same as those needed to build a steel-tube
fusalage (sp?? never could spell)

So, following in the great tradition or Anthony Fokker, I spent the
past few days laying out a design on a sheet of particle board,
attaching pine blocking, and cutting tubes to fit. I've made good use
of the H-F tubing notcher. BTW, the arbor on mine likes Vermont
American and DeWalt hole-saws, but not Lennox. I've also descovered
that my notcher can't really cut an angle greater than about 25
degrees on 1 1/4" tubing. So I've been using Tubemiter and the tripple-
cut ******* file that my Dad to left me as well. Fitting tubing for
this type of project isn't critical, so its a good way to practice
without getting dead. The type of tubing isn't critical either. I've
been using EMT since its cheap and easy to obtain from the Borgs.
Since the stuff is always slathered in zinc, I've built an "acid tank"
which is nothing more than 4' of 1 1/2" PVC with one end capped off.
Fill 3/4 full with a 20% solution of muratic acid and water, insert
steel tube, no smoking for 20 minutes, rinse. (Remember, I'm making
art here. I'd never use EMT in an aircraft. I've seen what's under the
zinc.)

Then come the two fun parts. Fitting everything back together, and
keeping it aligned long enough to tack weld the joints. I'm using an H-
F torch, this time with the #2 tip. I fire up the torch, adjust, start
heating the tubes focusing intensely on the joint when I hear "Honey,
your jig's on fire!"

Yes dear, that happens to wood when you point a 6300 degree fire at
it. Yes, that's OK. Yes, I planned on it. YES, I DO have a big bucket
of water, and a hose, and a fire extinguisher.

I still suck at welding, but I am getting better. Next weekend's
lesson is in gymnastic welding and warpage. Should be fun.

Harry Frey
Old May 28th 09, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anyolmouse

"wright1902glider" wrote in message
| For the past few days, I've been working on a project that is semi-
| related to aviation. That is, its related by the fact that the skills
| necessary to complete it may also be usefull in building an aircraft.
| I like to think of it as a training project.
|
| What I'm building is a kinetic-sculpture racing vehicle. By
| definition, its a whacky-looking multi-wheeled craft powered only by
| humans that will be capable of traversing roads, trails, sand, mud,
| and small lakes. These crafts also have an artistic theme, but that's
| not really important. The real issue is that my craft is being
| constructed of welded steel tubing. In that respect, the skills
| required are exactly the same as those needed to build a steel-tube
| fusalage (sp?? never could spell)
|
| So, following in the great tradition or Anthony Fokker, I spent the
| past few days laying out a design on a sheet of particle board,
| attaching pine blocking, and cutting tubes to fit. I've made good use
| of the H-F tubing notcher. BTW, the arbor on mine likes Vermont
| American and DeWalt hole-saws, but not Lennox. I've also descovered
| that my notcher can't really cut an angle greater than about 25
| degrees on 1 1/4" tubing. So I've been using Tubemiter and the
tripple-
| cut ******* file that my Dad to left me as well. Fitting tubing for
| this type of project isn't critical, so its a good way to practice
| without getting dead. The type of tubing isn't critical either. I've
| been using EMT since its cheap and easy to obtain from the Borgs.
| Since the stuff is always slathered in zinc, I've built an "acid tank"
| which is nothing more than 4' of 1 1/2" PVC with one end capped off.
| Fill 3/4 full with a 20% solution of muratic acid and water, insert
| steel tube, no smoking for 20 minutes, rinse. (Remember, I'm making
| art here. I'd never use EMT in an aircraft. I've seen what's under the
| zinc.)
|
| Then come the two fun parts. Fitting everything back together, and
| keeping it aligned long enough to tack weld the joints. I'm using an
H-
| F torch, this time with the #2 tip. I fire up the torch, adjust, start
| heating the tubes focusing intensely on the joint when I hear "Honey,
| your jig's on fire!"
|
| Yes dear, that happens to wood when you point a 6300 degree fire at
| it. Yes, that's OK. Yes, I planned on it. YES, I DO have a big bucket
| of water, and a hose, and a fire extinguisher.
|
| I still suck at welding, but I am getting better. Next weekend's
| lesson is in gymnastic welding and warpage. Should be fun.
|
| Harry Frey

Sounds like fun! FWIW, I remember reading about a guy in Alaska building
a Bush Plane using EMT in the early 1980's. He flew it, for how long he
flew it I do not know. G

--
Anyolmouse

Old May 29th 09, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bildan

On May 28, 10:20*am, wright1902glider
wrote:
[...]

Fun story.

Some (actually a lot of) years ago, I took an evening welding class at
a local community college. Students were encouraged to weld up
something of their own design. One older student had drawn up plans
for something. They were very nice master draftsman kind of plans in
ink on a large sheet of Vellum. In those days, one didn't make copies
of drawings unless they were very important - blueprints were
expensive.

While working at my own bench, I noticed a fire in his direction. I
looked over just as he pushed his welding goggles up to his forehead.
He was dismayed to see the last bit of Vellum ash drift off in the
updraft his drawings funeral pyre had generated. His dismayed
expression still sticks with me.

The take-home lessons:
1. Don't weld next to your drawings - especially if they're the only
copy.
2. Fires are darn hard to see through welding goggles.
3. Keep a fire extinguisher handy.
Old May 29th 09, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"bildan" wrote in message

The take-home lessons:
1. Don't weld next to your drawings - especially if they're the only
copy.
2. Fires are darn hard to see through welding goggles.
3. Keep a fire extinguisher handy.

4) Don't weld with a book of matches in your shirt pocket.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old May 30th 09, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flash

Or a butane cigarette lighter in you pants pocket, which, so I've heard, can
be pretty near the equivalent of a quarter-stick.

Or with hippie-style frayed-out cuffs, which is a hoot to see, especially
when it happened to a hippie on my crew who just would not be told to wear
"suitable clothing" He sprent the rest of the day working on the sidewalk
of Wisconsin Avenue, in Bethesda, with one red-leg, and a lot of "southern
exposure".

Flash

Old June 3rd 09, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan D[_2_]

Today only: http://www.woot.com/

Fire Spotting. EridanMan Piloting 7 October 30th 07 07:03 PM
Md 80 fire Herb[_5_] Aviation Photos 4 October 23rd 07 02:26 PM
CH-47D fire fighting Paul[_3_] Aviation Photos 4 June 13th 07 05:04 AM
If WTC 7 came down from fire and debris .. Postman's Holiday Piloting 1 March 16th 06 08:22 AM
Honey, I'm gone fishing HECTOP Piloting 13 May 12th 04 11:19 PM