Bipolar/Schizoaffective Disorder and Soaring

Old June 11th 04, 09:58 PM
ADP

This has not been true for the last 7 years.

Allan

"To be issued Glider or Free Balloon Airman Certificates, the applicant
must certify that he or she has no known physical defect
that makes him or her unable to pilot a glider or free
balloon. This certification is made at the local FAA
Flight Standards District Office."

Old June 11th 04, 11:02 PM
DL152279546231

By the way my Psychiatrist is a pilot and feels I am safe to fly provided I
take my medicines daily and I do...

But, I do need some clarification.
A medical certificate is not required for soaring is what I have been told
reguardless of medications or illness provided the pilot feels he can fly
safely.

I have never heard of a list of medications which bar a pilot from flying
gliders...

However I have done some research and read the FAA won't even issue a medical
to an applicant on unipolar depression so I did not plan to apply to face
certain rejection

Also, however, I am wondering if these psychotropic medications don't cause
problems with heatstroke and dehydration

I was hoping maybe an annonymous person would step forward and say they were
flying and it was not a problem

Lithium, Effexor, and Zyprexa are the ones I have taken for over two years

Also, by the way, my Pyschiatrist said getting back into flying would be an
excellent anti-depressant
Old June 11th 04, 11:11 PM
ADP

The controlling and ONLY FAR you need to consider medically while flying
gliders is 14 CFR 61.53(b).

Allan

"DL152279546231" wrote in message
By the way my Psychiatrist is a pilot and feels I am safe to fly provided

take my medicines daily and I do...

....Snip...

Old June 11th 04, 11:18 PM
Andy Durbin

Doug Hoffman wrote in message ...
Brian Iten wrote:

The other question I have to some of the CFI's and
DE's out there is I can't remember what it said on
my form (forgot the number) prior to taking my flight
exam but isn't there something on the bottom that states
you are in good medical condition
and are not on any medications??????

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now that really doesn't make much sense, does it? For example, if one is
taking Lipitor to control cholesterol the FAA is going to ground you? I
don't think so.

Regards,

-Doug

Lipitor is allowed according to FAA drug list available to members at
AOPA's website. It may be surprising how many drugs pushed in US TV
adverts are not allowed.

The fact that US glider pilots don't need a medical certificate
doesn't seem to alter the applicability of the FAA drugs list. Ref
61.53 and 91.17.

Andy
Old June 11th 04, 11:36 PM
Jack

DL152279546231 wrote:

By the way my Psychiatrist is a pilot and feels I am safe to fly provided I
take my medicines daily and I do....

Also, by the way, my Pyschiatrist said getting back into flying would be an
excellent anti-depressant.

It works that way for most of us, I'm sure, but if you are looking for
permission, I doubt you will find it here.

Go the official route and take your lumps, or involve your Psychiatrist and your
CFI-G in a constructive partnership that can perhaps get you airborne, and see
how things work out from there.

I wish you the best.

Jack
Old June 11th 04, 11:42 PM
B. Iten

Doug Hoffman wrote in message ...

Now that really doesn't make much sense, does it? For example, if one is
taking Lipitor to control cholesterol the FAA is going to ground you? I
don't think so.

Regards,

-Doug

Ummm, Doug, you might want to check what is allowed and not allowed as
Lipitor is NOT a banned substance as per AOPA's medication sheet so
there is no reason for you to ground yourself if you are on such
medication......
Old June 11th 04, 11:46 PM
B. Iten

"Shannon Parker" wrote in message u...
Keep taking you current medication. But I promise that if you work
hard enough one day on top of the stack at cloud base you'll get one of
those moments of clarity that will furnish you with the beginnings of
strength that will change that bipolar monkey forever.
See you in the big blue one day.
Shannon

No amount of money will bring you the happiness and joy that flying does.
Get it into perspective. Don't waste time

Shannon,
Am I correct at saying that you fly outside of the United States?
Brian
Old June 12th 04, 12:48 AM

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:02:15 +0000, DL152279546231 wrote:

By the way my Psychiatrist is a pilot and feels I am safe to fly provided I
take my medicines daily and I do...

But, I do need some clarification.
A medical certificate is not required for soaring is what I have been told
reguardless of medications or illness provided the pilot feels he can fly
safely.

I have never heard of a list of medications which bar a pilot from flying
gliders...

However I have done some research and read the FAA won't even issue a medical
to an applicant on unipolar depression so I did not plan to apply to face
certain rejection

Also, however, I am wondering if these psychotropic medications don't cause
problems with heatstroke and dehydration

Perhaps the question you should ask, is "how hot and dehydrated will I get
whilst flying" and "how much exercise is involved in ground-handling
gliders". Most people on the list would be able to answer these questions
for you, and you can take this information to your doctor who will be able
to tell you whether it is likely to be a problem.

I was hoping maybe an annonymous person would step forward and say they were
flying and it was not a problem

Lithium, Effexor, and Zyprexa are the ones I have taken for over two years

All of the patient information for these drugs cautions that they can
cause dizziness and / or drowsiness. They caution against driving if these
symptoms are apparent, and I think this would apply to gliding x2 (or
more).

Also, by the way, my Pyschiatrist said getting back into flying would be
an excellent anti-depressant

vne

Old June 12th 04, 03:39 AM
DL152279546231

Perhaps the question you should ask, is "how hot and dehydrated will I get
whilst flying" and "how much exercise is involved in ground-handling
gliders". Most people on the list would be able to answer these questions
for you, and you can take this information to your doctor who will be able
to tell you whether it is likely to be a problem.

I think you (and several others) have hit on an excellent idea. I have been
reluctant to join my local club because I have only had two rides and they
require a substantial financial commitment, initiation and monthly dues. I
can't just go rent a glider for a few flights, they require membership. I
wonder if they would allow me to come hang out and wing-run, and ground handle
in the heat. This would test the heatstroke and I could see how the people
are... If everyone is a jerk I probably wouldn't want to go anyway... Maybe I
could be ballast for the 2 place trainer if one of the seats is empty...

I do plan to read 14 CFR 61.53(b) however and may drop SSA an E-mail about the
subject
Old June 12th 04, 04:13 AM
DL152279546231

The controlling and ONLY FAR you need to consider medically while flying
gliders is 14 CFR 61.53(b).

Allan

So now I am still confused. Do I read this FAR to say if you know you have a
medical condition but don't think it will interfere with your flying, fly. OR,
if you have a medical condition which would make you ineligible for a medical
certificate you cannot fly even in an operation not requiring a medical
certificate...

(b) Operations that do not require a medical certificate. For operations
provided for in §61.23(b) of this part, a person shall not act as pilot in
command, or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while
that person knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would
make the person unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner.