Amazon Smile and the SSA - WHAT?

Old December 19th 19, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

Default Amazon Smile and the SSA - WHAT?

On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 8:13:38 AM UTC-5, PGS wrote:
On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 4:07:20 PM UTC-5, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
I just got a report from the Amazon Smile folks that says that to date those that have signed up for a portion of their Amazon purchases to be donated to the SSA made a total contribution of $2025.23 (no idea if that is yearly or forever). The total could have been higher but something is surely better than nothing.

What I found a bit crazy is that Amazon tells me that my personal contribution to the SSA is a whopping 6.1% of the total amount! Really? Are there so few SSA members (15 out of ~10,000 members?) using this painless and zero expense way to contribute to the organization that supports the sport that we all love?

Many SSA members are contributing via Amazon to a different non-for-profit organization which is more aligned to their charitable desires. Great! Contributing to others is a wonderful thing.

But if you don't use, or know about, the Amazon Smile contribution system then I urge you to check it out at http://smile.amazon.com/. Please support whomever you please. Maybe the SSA is a choice for you too.

Thanks and Merry Christmas
John DeRosa (OHM)

There are many worthy causes that you can support through Amazon smile, Franconia Soaring Foundation for example. FSF recently purchased the Franconia Airport and is in need of donations to help pay loans and improve airport infrastructure.

All donations count, whatever the source or amount. And Amazone Smile is easy.
Old December 19th 19, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Sugarbush Soaring's Flight Experience for Youth (FEFY) gets my smile.amazon.com donation.

https://sugarbushsoaring.com/youth-p...ence-for-youth

FEFY spent ~$48,000 on youth soaring in 2019
Old December 20th 19, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 1:07:20 PM UTC-8, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
[...]

I also use Amazon Smile, but for a different (deserving) charity. Don't judge people from these statistics.

Tom
Old December 20th 19, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 7:49:46 PM UTC-8, 2G wrote:
[...]

....and I will add that you can make a donation DIRECTLY to the SSA if you want. I am going to do this out of my IRA that counts toward my Minimum Required Distribution and won't be taxed. This is, effectively, allows me to get charitable deductions without itemizing. The MRD only applies to us geezers over 70 1/2 that have IRAs, although anybody can do donations from their IRAs.

Tom
Old December 20th 19, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 10:54:58 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
[...]

This is very "tax efficient" as it donates money no tax has ever been paid on.
Go to the following link. https://www.ssa.org/Giving?show=blog&id=5713
There is a link at the bottom of the page for a form you can use.

Again, thanks very much for your generosity and support.

John Godfrey
Chair, SSA Foundation
Chair, SSA Fundraising and Development Committee
Old January 12th 21, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Friday, December 20, 2019 at 7:21:44 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Is the SSA still listed with Amazon charities this year? I'm getting prompted from Amazon to choose a charity, but when I search for the SSA, Soaring Society of America, Young Eagles, Soaring, none of them come up with the result I'm looking for--the SSA. Am I missing something?
Old January 12th 21, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 1/11/21 4:35 PM, John Foster wrote:
[...]

Searching for "soaring society of america" brings up "soaring society of
america inc" and "soaring society of america foundation" for me.
Old January 12th 21, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 5:24:40 PM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:
[...]

When I search Soaring Society of America", I get "no results found". This is searching under charities.
Old January 12th 21, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 1/11/21 5:36 PM, John Foster wrote:
[...]

Try going to your Account, then Change my Amazonsmile charity. I'm
already signed up for SSA, maybe I'm grandfathered somehow.