Nephi Accident 7-1-2019

Old July 2nd 19, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Nephi Accident 7-1-2019

This is an unofficial statement reporting what I can so far. Right now the contest officials are very busy as would be expected so have patience and understanding.

What we know: About 2 pm Arcus MM impacted terrain on a ridge about 50 miles from Nephi. The pilot, John Weber, and the co-pilot, Tom Bjork, were fatally injured in the accident.

The accident was discovered by riders in an atv about 5:00 pm. The organizers were informed about 7pm

The FAA and NTSB are on the way to the site today.

All of us at Nephi and the soaring community are deeply impacted by the loss of both of these friends and pilots.

Tim (TT)
Old July 2nd 19, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 11:29:41 AM UTC-4, Tim Taylor wrote:
This is an unofficial statement reporting what I can so far. Right now the contest officials are very busy as would be expected so have patience and understanding.

What we know: About 2 pm Arcus MM impacted terrain on a ridge about 50 miles from Nephi. The pilot, John Weber, and the co-pilot, Tom Bjork, were fatally injured in the accident.

The accident was discovered by riders in an atv about 5:00 pm. The organizers were informed about 7pm

The FAA and NTSB are on the way to the site today.

All of us at Nephi and the soaring community are deeply impacted by the loss of both of these friends and pilots.

Tim (TT)

Thanks for report, Tim.

We're thinking about all of you. Deepest sympathy...

Evan / T8
Old July 2nd 19, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 11:29:41 AM UTC-4, Tim Taylor wrote:
This is an unofficial statement reporting what I can so far. Right now the contest officials are very busy as would be expected so have patience and understanding.

What we know: About 2 pm Arcus MM impacted terrain on a ridge about 50 miles from Nephi. The pilot, John Weber, and the co-pilot, Tom Bjork, were fatally injured in the accident.

The accident was discovered by riders in an atv about 5:00 pm. The organizers were informed about 7pm

The FAA and NTSB are on the way to the site today.

All of us at Nephi and the soaring community are deeply impacted by the loss of both of these friends and pilots.

Tim (TT)

Very sad news. Wish there were some words...
Old July 2nd 19, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Thanks for early info.
Sorry for the shadow this casts on the contest and family/friends.

Can't say I knew the pilots, but a loss is a loss. I have lost a few over the decades as well. Sucks for everyone.

Condolences to all.

Curious if any "meaningful" (not guesses, etc.) info comes from this.
Old July 2nd 19, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Sad and very sobering.
Both pilots had lots of time and Nephi experience.
Jim
Old July 2nd 19, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcg8w%[email protected]

Very Sad News --- Thanks for the quick report

Deepest Sympathies for the families, loved ones
and all involved.

Jim Garrison
AE

Old July 2nd 19, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Tom was a good friend.Â* He will be sorely missed.

Condolences to Karen.

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 2nd 19, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 12:48:42 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Tom was a good friend.Â* He will be sorely missed.

Condolences to Karen.

On 7/2/2019 9:29 AM, Tim Taylor wrote:
This is an unofficial statement reporting what I can so far. Right now the contest officials are very busy as would be expected so have patience and understanding.

What we know: About 2 pm Arcus MM impacted terrain on a ridge about 50 miles from Nephi. The pilot, John Weber, and the co-pilot, Tom Bjork, were fatally injured in the accident.

The accident was discovered by riders in an atv about 5:00 pm. The organizers were informed about 7pm

The FAA and NTSB are on the way to the site today.

All of us at Nephi and the soaring community are deeply impacted by the loss of both of these friends and pilots.

Tim (TT)

--
Dan, 5J

Tim,

Thanks for passing along this sad news. It's another blow to our soaring community. I spent quite a few happy days in line chatting with John while waiting for tows at Nephi and Ephrata. They'll both be missed. Condolences to all family and friends.

Craig
Old July 2nd 19, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Tim,

Thank you for the note with the known details. We all appreciate it.

I enjoyed spending time with John and Tom at previous Nephi events. They will be missed. I enjoyed their company and friendliness.

I hope their loggers provide some insights to the cause of the accident.

With kind regards,

Paul Remde

Old July 3rd 19, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ronald Clarke

wrote:
This is an unofficial statement reporting what I can so far.

Right now
the contest officials are very busy as would be expected so have

patience
and understanding.

What we know: About 2 pm Arcus MM impacted terrain on a

ridge about 50
miles from Nephi. The pilot, John Weber, and the co-pilot, Tom

Bjork, were
fatally injured in the accident.

The accident was discovered by riders in an atv about 5:00

pm. The
organizers were informed about 7pm

The FAA and NTSB are on the way to the site today.

All of us at Nephi and the soaring community are deeply

impacted by the
loss of both of these friends and pilots.

Tim (TT)

Very sad news. Wish there were some words...
A very sad day for all at Central Indiana Soaring where John was

an active member a number of years ago. Our sincere
condolences to Connie and John’s family . I did not know Tom but
condolences to his family too.

Ron (ZA)

Hobbs 2019 18M/Open Class Nats. Day 5 6/24/2019 [email protected] Soaring 2 June 25th 19 04:32 AM
Nephi OLC 2019 Nick Kennedy[_3_] Soaring 0 October 7th 18 12:10 AM
New Video From Nephi and Update on 2014 Nephi Events [email protected] Soaring 1 June 5th 14 03:27 AM
Nephi, UT Kevin Christner Soaring 4 February 3rd 14 10:18 PM
KS Duo at Nephi Karl Striedieck[_2_] Soaring 0 January 9th 14 03:18 AM