tracking N-number changes

Old August 14th 05, 07:53 AM
K. Ari Krupnikov

Default tracking N-number changes

Using an aircraft's registration number, one can look up on NTSB if it
has been involved in accidents. Is it possible to find out if an
aircraft has ever had its registration number changed, to make use it
hasn't been involved in an accident under a different registration?

I'm looking to buy a Texas Taildragger and want to be sure it hasn't
been groundlooped.

Ari.

--
Elections only count as free and trials as fair if you can lose money
betting on the outcome.
Old August 14th 05, 05:28 PM
BTIZ

best way I can think of would be to look at the aircraft maintenance logs,
granted repairs could be made and not entered.. and unscrupulous thing but
it happens.

also, a title search company may also get all of the accident reports or
form 337s filed on that aircraft. They should also be able to track N#
changes, as well as reporting a clean title.

AOPA offers this service to it's members.

BT

Old August 14th 05, 11:27 PM
Jim Burns

What about the FAA CD of all the official documents?
I think that's what AOPA relies on for the most part.
Jim

Old August 15th 05, 06:57 AM
K. Ari Krupnikov

"Juan Jimenez" writes:

http://162.58.35.241/acdatabase/serial_inquiry.asp

Thanks.

The plane I was interested in shows up with 1 N number. Do I
understand correctly that aircraft which have had their N number
changed would appear in that table more than once?

Ari.

Old August 15th 05, 07:02 AM
K. Ari Krupnikov

"BTIZ" writes:

best way I can think of would be to look at the aircraft maintenance logs,
granted repairs could be made and not entered.. and unscrupulous thing but
it happens.

Of course. But you can look up an N number on NTSB before you ever get
to meet the owner - saves time. Of course if an accident was never
reported, NTSB won't have it either.

also, a title search company may also get all of the accident reports or
form 337s filed on that aircraft. They should also be able to track N#
changes, as well as reporting a clean title.

AOPA offers this service to it's members.

I'm a member, and I've been thinking about using that service. I'm
not entirely sure what they do that a mortal can't. Do they have
access to some government databases that are not available to the
public?

Also, do you know how long it takes for them to do their search?

Ari.

Old August 15th 05, 04:35 PM
xyzzy

K. Ari Krupnikov wrote:

"BTIZ" writes:

best way I can think of would be to look at the aircraft maintenance logs,
granted repairs could be made and not entered.. and unscrupulous thing but
it happens.

Of course. But you can look up an N number on NTSB before you ever get
to meet the owner - saves time. Of course if an accident was never
reported, NTSB won't have it either.

You don't even have to do that. Just google the N-number. That will
turn up NTSB reports, SDR reports, and sometimes unofficial information
that seller didn't even know about or didn't know you could find (like
the last owner's webpage where he describes the time it ate a valve, etc).

Old August 16th 05, 02:52 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

Mine had an N# change after a gear up and it did NOT show up. I have the
logs as others have stated and they show the N# change.

--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

Old August 16th 05, 05:34 AM
BTIZ

for a fee.. they insure the title search.. so if there is a lien that is not
found in their report, and someone claims your airplane.. they "insured the
title".. about a week.

When I had them do a simple search, they found a lien against an aircraft
that although paid and cleared by the bank, the papers were not properly
filed with OKC, so the lein still existed. The airplane had gone through 3
different owners with the original lien still recorded against the aircraft
and not cleared.

BT