Adiabatic lapse rate

Old October 21st 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Everett M. Greene[_2_]

Default Adiabatic lapse rate

Does the lapse rate equation hold in all cases? I was recently
wondering what kind of temperature would be reached at 35 Kft
over Arctic Canada in January. It seemed that the lapse rate
equation would lead you to expect temperatures that would be
causing nitrogen and carbon dioxide to be condensing which
doesn't seem likely.
Old October 21st 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Tauno Voipio

Everett M. Greene wrote:
Does the lapse rate equation hold in all cases? I was recently
wondering what kind of temperature would be reached at 35 Kft
over Arctic Canada in January. It seemed that the lapse rate
equation would lead you to expect temperatures that would be
causing nitrogen and carbon dioxide to be condensing which
doesn't seem likely.

The equation breaks at tropopause, and
your requested altitude is quite near it,
if not above.

AFAIK, you need measurements for the
temperature, as the equation cannot handle it.

--

Tauno Voipio (CPL(A))
tauno voipio (at) iki fi
Old October 21st 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mitty

On 10/21/2007 11:44 AM, Everett M. Greene wrote the following:
Does the lapse rate equation hold in all cases?

Don't count on it in the real world. I was once in the clear at 6,000 feet, 0
degrees C, and confidently told my wife that Approach would soon drop us into
the clouds at 4,000 feet but that we didn't have to worry about ice because it
would be +4 degrees. When we got there it was -- ta da -- 0 degrees! We
immediately started picking up some light ice, requested and got a descent to
3,000, and all was well.
Old October 22nd 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Lapse rate is dependent on humidity. The dry rate is rapid,
the wet rate can be anything, even a temperature rise as the
condensation raises the temperature [makes
thunderstorms-hurricanes], the average lapse rate is just
that, a mathematical average.

Old October 22nd 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Andrew Sarangan

On Oct 21, 12:44 pm, (Everett M.
Greene) wrote:
Does the lapse rate equation hold in all cases? I was recently
wondering what kind of temperature would be reached at 35 Kft
over Arctic Canada in January. It seemed that the lapse rate
equation would lead you to expect temperatures that would be
causing nitrogen and carbon dioxide to be condensing which
doesn't seem likely.

The adiabatic lapse rate only holds true in the troposphere. The
troposphere is heated from below by convective air currents, and this
is where the 3C/1000' comes from. In contrast, the stratosphere
absorbes solar radiation directly, and hence has a negative lapse
rate. In the polar regions the troposphere is thinner, about 20kft
high (also depends on season). So you cannot apply the tropospheric
lapse rate up to 35 Kft.

Old October 22nd 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bill

On Oct 21, 2:29 pm, Mitty wrote:
On 10/21/2007 11:44 AM, Everett M. Greene wrote the following: Does the lapse rate equation hold in all cases?

Don't count on it in the real world. I was once in the clear at 6,000 feet, 0
degrees C, and confidently told my wife that Approach would soon drop us into
the clouds at 4,000 feet but that we didn't have to worry about ice because it
would be +4 degrees. When we got there it was -- ta da -- 0 degrees! We
immediately started picking up some light ice, requested and got a descent to
3,000, and all was well.

In fact I've noticed when there is ice about and the temp is near
freezing that
it tends to stay that way -- no rate at all!!

It's as if the model is more like the ice-water mix where the temp is
constrained
at 32F until all the ice is melted or all the water frozen.

Look out, huh! It's an interesting question on the instrument written
but the real world is a lot different.

Bill Hale

Old October 22nd 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
S Green

"Everett M. Greene" wrote in message
Does the lapse rate equation hold in all cases? I was recently
wondering what kind of temperature would be reached at 35 Kft
over Arctic Canada in January. It seemed that the lapse rate
equation would lead you to expect temperatures that would be
causing nitrogen and carbon dioxide to be condensing which
doesn't seem likely.

As you pass through the tropopause at approx 36,000 and -56 C the
temperature rises in the stratosphere as solar radiation is bounced back up
through the stratosphere by ozone (O3).

As you get right on the fringes of the atmosphere the temperature rise is
enormous.

The main issue in the troposphere is that well known greenhouse gas water
vapour. The adiabatic lapse rate is entirely dependent on the amount of
water in the air and you can calculate that using the wet and dry bulb
thermometers.

Old October 23rd 07, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dane Spearing

In article ,
S Green wrote:

"Everett M. Greene" wrote in message
Does the lapse rate equation hold in all cases? I was recently
wondering what kind of temperature would be reached at 35 Kft
over Arctic Canada in January. It seemed that the lapse rate
equation would lead you to expect temperatures that would be
causing nitrogen and carbon dioxide to be condensing which
doesn't seem likely.

A few years back, my (then) 4th grade son did his science fair project on how
temperature changes with altitude. Over the course of a year, and
probably a dozen or more family flights, he measured the OAT as a function
of altitude during our climb-outs and descents. He got data from sea level
up to 14,000. Amazingly enough, it averaged out to almost exactly
2 deg C/1000'. He noted that the greatest deviations from that occurred
very close to the ground (within 2000' AGL) and when we were in clouds (IMC).

Now, our Cherokee 6 can't climb up to FL 350, so I have no personal
experience with how high the standard lapse rate holds. However, my son
will tell you that for a clear day, above 2000' AGL, it seems to hold
very very well.

Oh....and he got first place for his science project. I couldn't be a
prouder pilot-papa.

-- Dane
Old October 27th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Bill wrote:

In fact I've noticed when there is ice about and the temp is near
freezing that
it tends to stay that way -- no rate at all!!

I've noticed that too, and always assumed its because of the ice
buildup on the thermometer.