Do I have to file?

Old May 29th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
smf

Default Do I have to file?

If I want to go from Hollywood N. Perry (HWO) to Tamiami (TMB) Do I have to
file a IFR flt plan if I want to go IFR. Is it possible to pick up a (local)
ifr?

thanks

Steve

Old May 29th 07, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose

If I want to go from Hollywood N. Perry (HWO) to Tamiami (TMB) Do I have to
file a IFR flt plan if I want to go IFR. Is it possible to pick up a (local)
ifr?

I'm not sure I understand the question. To legally fly under IFR in
controlled airspace (which you will be in), you need an IFR clearance,
which means filing an IFR flight plan. You can do that beforehand ("the
usual way"), or you can depart VFR (weather permitting) and then try to
get a popup clearance. Getting a popup generally involves filing a
flight plan in the air. It can be done through approach if they are not
busy, but they may tell you to contact flight service (on the radio) and
file it there, and then wait until approach gets it.

If you have plenty of VFR weather while you're doing this, there's
usually not a problem. But if the weather is closing in and approach is
busy, you are taking a risk that they can't take you in. Then you're stuck.

If you already know this and are just asking the likelihood of getting
stuck on this particular route, then I don't know the answer.

Jose
--
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those that just want to
know what button to push, and those that want to know what happens when
Old May 29th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mitty

A local IFR flight plan _is_ an IFR flight plan. Call the TRACON if you want to
know if that type of request will be granted. IIRC it would have to involve
only handoff(s) between TRACONs and not involve Center.

Old May 29th 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old May 29th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Mitty wrote:

A local IFR flight plan _is_ an IFR flight plan. Call the TRACON if you
want to know if that type of request will be granted. IIRC it would
have to involve only handoff(s) between TRACONs and not involve Center.

IFR is IFR. If a center is involved the TRACON will take care of it.

Old May 30th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

On May 28, 8:34 pm, "smf" wrote:
If I want to go from Hollywood N. Perry (HWO) to Tamiami (TMB) Do I have to
file a IFR flt plan if I want to go IFR. Is it possible to pick up a (local)
ifr?

thanks

Steve

I think he's asking about local availability of IFR. I'm not familiar
with your area but in the Los Angeles are the answer is *NO*. If you
are not IFR when you take off there is little chance you're going to
get an IFR while airborne (even prefiled). Generally if you need to
pick up an IFR clearance in the LA area they ask you to land to pick
up the clearance.

-Robert, CFII

Old May 30th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bob Gardner

Out here in the wide open spaces of the west, when you say you want to go
present position direct to your destination the controller usually says "Say
type and filed airspeed," followed by an abbreviated clearance. In the more
constricted north-south airspace of Florida, that might not work.

Bob Gardner

Old May 30th 07, 10:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

This is nuts.

There should be no reason a properly filed IFR plan cannot be
initiated airborne, if it starts at a VOR or intersection , for
example.

Old May 30th 07, 12:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

Mitty wrote:
A local IFR flight plan _is_ an IFR flight plan. Call the TRACON if you want to
know if that type of request will be granted. IIRC it would have to involve
only handoff(s) between TRACONs and not involve Center.

Wouldn't this be the same as Tower En Route (TEC)?

No TEC in Florida.

California is the only place where TEC has any meaning with respect
to how flight plans get filed. In the NE (the only other place with
an official TEC program) it's little more than preferred routes that
keep you out of center airspace.
Old May 31st 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

On May 30, 2:45 am, wrote:
This is nuts.

There should be no reason a properly filed IFR plan cannot be
initiated airborne, if it starts at a VOR or intersection , for
example.

Especially in LA. There is more need to do composite flights in LA
because going IFR through some areas of LA can increase your distance
by as much as 50 miles (vs. using the VFR coridors). I've often
wondered if I could get an airborne IFR clearance by contacting the
tower and doing a low pass vs. actually landing. Over SMO (where most
people want to pick up their IFR in the air because they just got out
of the VFR route) it would also save you $4.14 if you don't touch the
ground.

-Robert