Renting a sailplane

Old May 30th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Renting a sailplane

Is there anyone out there with an aircraft near Penn
State they'd be willing to rent out for a week around
thanksgiving for the right price???

I'm a sensible pilot with a good record and good money
to spend.

Cheers,

Nick Smith

Old May 30th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Nick
If you live in the UK or Europe
and own a glider contact me.
Udo

Old May 30th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Udo Rumpf schrieb:

If you live in the UK or Europe

UK *or* Europe :-)

Completely OT. Forget it.

Stefan
Old May 30th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Incipient Sinner wrote:
Is there anyone out there with an aircraft near Penn
State they'd be willing to rent out for a week around
thanksgiving for the right price???

I'm a sensible pilot with a good record and good money
to spend.

Anyone considering this offer should bear in mind that this will likely
put you into the commercial operator category and you should be fully
cognizant of all FARs and insurance issues before proceeding. Your
glider will probably need a type certificate (not experimental), a 100
hour inspection, and your insurance will likely be null and void (the
renter could obtain A/C renters insurance). And don't assume that this
is an inclusive list because I am not a commercial operator (you could
always call one for advice).

Tom

Old May 30th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I know there may be some paperwork and cost involved
but I'm just interested in whether it's worth my investigating
further.

It's also a big undertaking to lend a private ship
out; I understand that and can reassure anyone that
my experience is quite broad in a variety of gliding
environments.

Cheers,

Nick Smith
Please mail me at for any private
mail.

Old May 31st 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tom wrote:
Incipient Sinner wrote:
Is there anyone out there with an aircraft near Penn
State they'd be willing to rent out for a week around
thanksgiving for the right price???

I'm a sensible pilot with a good record and good money
to spend.

Anyone considering this offer should bear in mind that this will likely
put you into the commercial operator category and you should be fully
cognizant of all FARs and insurance issues before proceeding. Your
glider will probably need a type certificate (not experimental), a 100
hour inspection, and your insurance will likely be null and void (the
renter could obtain A/C renters insurance). And don't assume that this
is an inclusive list because I am not a commercial operator (you could
always call one for advice).

Tom

There are two separate and distinct categories of requirements to be
met, the insurers and the FARs. Guest pilot coverage is available to
the owner under some plans, however, the user should have
renter/non-owner coverage. Commercial coverage may not be required,
but a thorough reading of your policy and limits are needed. The
insurers requirements may be the harder to meet.

Since no passengers, only crew, are carried, there is no TC
requirement. Generally, unless specifically prohibited in the FARs,
it's permitted.

If you can show me a prohibition in the FARs, I'd like to see it, as I
have seen experimental single place gliders on the renter line at FBOs.
There have been some subtle changes in the FARs with the inclusion of
LSA into the mix.

Frank Whiteley

Jet sailplane update Bob C Soaring 0 April 13th 06 08:06 AM
HpH 304CZ as first sailplane fcnorton Soaring 29 March 31st 06 01:47 AM
Duster Plans For Sale - BJ-1b fullsize sailplane plans WoodHawk Soaring 0 April 25th 05 04:37 AM
Ultralight sailplane aerotow liability Caracole Soaring 18 April 1st 04 09:17 PM
Any sailplane pilots? Larry Dighera Soaring 99 January 7th 04 03:46 AM