Cessna wheela and axles

Old January 10th 04, 03:37 PM
clare @ snyder.on .ca

Default Cessna wheela and axles

I have decided to use a set of Cessna 150 wheels on the Pegazair
project. I am using the Cessna bolt on axles instead of the welded in
Chrome Moly tube, and am having a bit of trouble figuring out one
small detail....
The axle is considerably longer than the width og the wheel. I suspect
I need a spacer between the wheel and the flange.
Problem is, there is a "washer" held in by a snap-ring holding the
inner bearing in. The inner race is covered by this "washer"
The outer side also has a "washer" but it has a larger diameter hole,
allowing the retainer nut to contact the race.
How are these wheels supposed to be set up? Is the "preload" or
"clearance" of the bearing determined by the "washers" heald in by the
snaprings, and the wheel just floats on the axle, in which case a 1.5"
id aluminum spacer slip fit over the axle is all that is requires. and
the inner "washer" just wears against the spacer, or is there
something I'm totally missing????

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Old January 10th 04, 05:20 PM
JDupre5762

[...]

The washers and snap ring are supposed to hold a felt seal in place over but
not against the bearings. There should be a shoulder on the axle and the inner
bearing will ride against that shoulder and the axle nut will preload the
bearings and the wheel against the same shoulder. If there is no shoulder
milled onto the axle then you would need a spacer. Are you using the brake
discs? That will account for some of the extra length in the axle as compared
to a wheel without the disc.

John Dupre'
Old January 10th 04, 05:52 PM
clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 14:37:49 GMT, clare @ snyder.on .ca wrote:

Actually, I have checked a bit farther - the axles appear to be
citabria style axles - and the wheels must be from a 170 series
Cessna, as they are 1.5" axles and 6" diameter rims. Say Cessna right
on them - so I'm sure THEY are Cessna.