High Wing or Low Wing

Old January 18th 04, 02:47 AM
Bob Babcock

Default High Wing or Low Wing

I thought I would throw out this old debate question to get peoples
personal experiences and reasons for preferences? Thanks
Old January 18th 04, 03:00 AM
Richard Lamb

Bob Babcock wrote:

I thought I would throw out this old debate question to get peoples
personal experiences and reasons for preferences? Thanks

ok. For what it's worth.

I've always preferred low wings on Mooneys,
and high wings on Cessnas.

Call me old fashioned.

Richard
Old January 18th 04, 03:16 AM
RobertR237

In article ,
(Bob Babcock) writes:

I thought I would throw out this old debate question to get peoples
personal experiences and reasons for preferences? Thanks

Mid Wing! HeHe

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old January 18th 04, 03:21 AM
Stu Fields

Biplanes. I'm a fence sitter.
Stu Fields (actually fling wings)
"RobertR237" wrote in message
In article ,

Old January 18th 04, 03:30 AM
Vaughn

"Bob Babcock" wrote in message
om...
I thought I would throw out this old debate question to get peoples
personal experiences and reasons for preferences? Thanks

I like to see at least one wing protruding equally from each side of
the fuselage.

Vaughn

Old January 18th 04, 05:02 AM
Ed Wischmeyer

I like to see at least one wing protruding equally from each side of
the fuselage.

Didn't the Russian airplanes have two left wings?

Ed Wischmeyer
Old January 18th 04, 05:04 AM
DJFawcett26

I thought I would throw out this old debate question to get peoples
personal experiences and reasons for preferences? Thanks

Lifting bodies, no wings at all - LOL
Old January 18th 04, 07:25 AM
Dude

Either ones okay, their are pros and cons for different reasons.

My preference is to be in front of the wing enough that I can see most of
the ground in a low wing, or not have the wing block the runway in the
pattern on a high wing.

Now, if you didn't build it yourself, you may want the wing to be where you
can see as much of it as possible

Why do you ask, anyway?

Old January 18th 04, 08:06 AM
Frank Stutzman

Vaughn wrote:

I like to see at least one wing protruding equally from each side of
the fuselage.

Oh, I don't know. I've always been fond of the Blohm & Voss 141 because
its, uh, different. See some art work of it at
http://www.luft46.com/roart/ro141.html
For history on it see http://users.pandora.be/bert.dujardin/Bv_141.htm

I also rather like the looks of a lot of the asymentric Rutan stuff like
the Boomerang.

Yeah, I'm kinda odd this way...

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old January 18th 04, 12:44 PM
Kevin Horton

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 17:47:17 -0800, Bob Babcock wrote:

I thought I would throw out this old debate question to get peoples
personal experiences and reasons for preferences? Thanks

It all depends on the mission of the aircraft. If you are doing something
that requires a good view of the ground (pipe line patrol, traffic
reporting, etc) then a high wing is best. If you are doing something that
involves a lot of manoeuvring, then you want good visiblity in the
direction you will be going in the manoeuvre. People (and most
engines) have a preference for positive-g manoeuvring, so that means you
want a good view in out the side and up, so you can clear the direction of
the turn. That might favour a low wing.

If you are just going to fly around like you drive a car - i.e. drone from
one place to another, then it probably doesn't make any practical
difference whether you have a high wing or low wing.

--
Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada