Short trip to Oshkosh

Old November 12th 03, 07:07 PM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Masino" wrote in message
I prefer either Bud Light or Corona Light. When you're pounding back 8 to
10 beers, even a 20 or 30 calorie difference makes a diffence.

Eight to ten? Geez! There's not a beverage in the world of which I would
have any interest in drinking eight or ten in a row.

I'll admit, when you're not stopping to bother to taste the beer, I suppose
Bud or Corona (light or otherwise) is just as good as anything else. I
guess that's why those guys are still making lots of money.

Pete

Old November 12th 03, 07:15 PM
Tom Fleischman

In article K3rsb.179269$HS4.1489620@attbi_s01, Jay Honeck
wrote:

snip

The *real* Danish kringles come from Racine, truth be told.

Ah, a true Kringle connoisseur, I see! Are you a "Lehman's" man, or an
"O&H" kind of guy?
:-)

O & H, of course...almond or apple are my personal favorites, with
chocolate a close third.
Old November 12th 03, 07:36 PM
Ron Natalie

I've been to three breweries. The first was the Golden Colorado Coors plant.
As I walked in they asked "Do you want the short tour or the long tour?"
The long tour goes through the entire factory showing the brewing process
and ends in the "hospitality" room and gift shop. The short tour goes
immediately backwards through the gift shop to reach the hospitality room.

The Old Dominion brewery (at least in it's earlier days) used to have tours
on Saturday afternoon. You'd show up at the little bar in their lobby and the
president of the company would pour you a beer. People would stand around
drinking beer and eating pretzels until Jerry decided nobody else was going
to come, then you'd go out on the factory floor with your glass and there was
a brief description of the brewing process and the bottler. You'd walk over
to the kegging station where there were more beer taps and more tasting would
occur over Q&A.

Old November 12th 03, 07:56 PM
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
Well, your idea of "old-fashioned" might be different than mine. I

like a
heavier, more "German" beer -- but not too chewy.

No such thing as too chewy! Straight Guinness for me!

An aside. Didja ever notice how EVERYONE drinks "Light Beer"
nowadays?

Yeah, and EVERYONE likes thin crust pizza, too. Yech. These are the same
people who will only eat Wonder Bread.

"Light Beer"
At the end of the season we used a whole bunch of that stuff
to boil bratwurst -- and it isn't even very good for THAT.

Filthy commie swill. I bet it sucked the soul right out of it.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old November 12th 03, 08:28 PM
Jay Masino

Peter Duniho wrote:
Eight to ten? Geez! There's not a beverage in the world of which I would
have any interest in drinking eight or ten in a row.

ok, maybe I'm exagerating a little, but when I go out to a nice Blues club
for 3 or 4 hours and listen to music...

I'll admit, when you're not stopping to bother to taste the beer, I suppose
Bud or Corona (light or otherwise) is just as good as anything else. I
guess that's why those guys are still making lots of money.

You're not getting it. Some people actually prefer "regular" or light
beer, and think dark beer tastes like crap. Beer snobs never seem to
accept that different people have different (not bad) tastes.

--- Jay

__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/ ! ! !

Checkout http://www.oc-adolfos.com/
for the best Italian food in Ocean City, MD and...
Checkout http://www.brolow.com/ for authentic Blues music on Delmarva

Old November 12th 03, 10:26 PM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Masino" wrote in message
You're not getting it.

Maybe not. But it's hard to "get it" when you make absurd statements. 20
or 30 calories difference might make a difference if you are actually
drinking ten beers. But it's hardly worth worrying about if you're drinking
five.

Differences in taste, that's perfectly understandable. But why bring the
calorie issue into the picture, if it's not relevant at all?

Pete

Old November 13th 03, 01:35 AM
vincent p. norris

I prefer either Bud Light or Corona Light. ....... I'll slam back a shot of whiskey if I really
need a bite.

Jay, there's really more "bite" in those highly-carbonated "light"
beers than in the darker beers. Guinness Stout has no "bit" at all.

What the darker beers have is more *flavor*.

vince norris
Old November 13th 03, 02:00 AM
Big John

Jay

My English friends call American beer P*ss. Sometimes I think their
right G

Best I had in WWII in Pacific Theater and in the mid years in Sydney,
was Aussie beer. Higher proof and good taste. Had authority also.

Saw the Amber on their site and it looked close. Of course Dark and
Light are at opposite ends of my spectrum for regular drinking..

Did you see the BA crew that got taken off their bird for imbibing
within the 8 hour rule? One had had 10 pints (man after my own heart)
and was running pre flight check list in cockpit.

If I can find will try and advise from a expert pallet.

Big John

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:17:14 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

What do you recommend for good 'old fashioned' beer? I note a bunch of
their beers they mixed in other ingredients and not just used the
stark minimum of what should be used for classic.

Well, your idea of "old-fashioned" might be different than mine. I like a
heavier, more "German" beer -- but not too chewy. Thus, I think the
Sprecher Amber is the best, and have been known to drive extraordinary
distances for it.

An aside. Didja ever notice how EVERYONE drinks "Light Beer" nowadays?
Sales of the stuff has just skyrocketed, and you see people drinking it in
ever bar you go to.

Well, whenever we'd throw a party at poolside this past summer at the inn,
we ALWAYS made sure to have a bunch of "Light Beer" on ice, too -- for those
who might prefer it. We naturally assumed it would be the "beer" of choice
for the majority, as it is in bars.

Well, guess what? When given a choice between that swill, er, I mean "Light
Beer" and REAL beer -- the "Light Beer" goes untouched. Apparently the
marketing in bars is quite effective, but -- when given a side-by-side
choice, real beer wins every time.

Old November 13th 03, 02:02 AM
Big John

Ah, a man who drinks light beer and then Boiler Makers to make up the
difference G

Big John

On 12 Nov 2003 15:31:54 GMT, (Jay Masino)
wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:
Well, your idea of "old-fashioned" might be different than mine. I like a
heavier, more "German" beer -- but not too chewy. Thus, I think the
Sprecher Amber is the best, and have been known to drive extraordinary
distances for it.

The weird thing about people that like "old fashioned" German beer is they
seem to be such snobs about it. I personally think that "old fashioned"/
German/dark beers taste like crap. People have different tastes... like
the old saying goes... "that's why they make both chocolate and vanilla
ice cream".

An aside. Didja ever notice how EVERYONE drinks "Light Beer" nowadays?
Sales of the stuff has just skyrocketed, and you see people drinking it in
ever bar you go to.

I prefer either Bud Light or Corona Light. When you're pounding back 8 to
10 beers, even a 20 or 30 calorie difference makes a diffence. But I
like lighter taste, too. I'll slam back a shot of whiskey if I really
need a bite.

Well, guess what? When given a choice between that swill, er, I mean "Light
Beer" and REAL beer -- the "Light Beer" goes untouched. Apparently the
marketing in bars is quite effective, but -- when given a side-by-side
choice, real beer wins every time.

I wouldn't be surprised if some people were bowing to peer pressure, since
you're always making such a big deal about "real" beer on the newsgroup.

-- Jay

__!__

Old November 13th 03, 04:40 AM
Bob Fry

"Jay Honeck" writes:

The Sprecher Brewery Tour used to go like this:

1. Brewmaster jumps on top of table in front of crowd
2. Brewmaster asks "Do you want the tour, or do you want to drink?"
3. Crowd shouts, in unison, "DRINK!"

End of tour. The beer taps would open, and the party would begin! :-)

My brother-in-law in Olympia says he and his college buds would take
the Olympia Brewing Co. tour quite often...just to get the free beer
at the end. After a couple of years of this they could have given the
tour blindfolded. Sprecher seems more realistic.

What is a "short field" for a PA28-181 Roy Page Owning 79 November 24th 04 12:11 PM
Got published Jack Allison Piloting 4 November 4th 03 08:14 PM
How I got to Oshkosh (long) Doug Owning 2 August 18th 03 12:05 AM
Oshkosh 2003 Redux Montblack Owning 86 August 14th 03 04:29 PM
Oshkosh 2003 Redux Montblack Piloting 62 August 14th 03 04:29 PM