The Wright Stuff/Sputnik

Old December 7th 03, 04:24 PM
Ed Majden

Default The Wright Stuff/Sputnik

The Wright brothers first flight is correctly being celebrated as a
milestone achievement in aviation. I wonder if the anniversary of Sputnik
will receive the same attention in a few years! This is just as an
important anniversary. No, I'm not a communist; this was asked on another
news group so I'm interested in the comments!

Old December 7th 03, 04:49 PM
Chad Irby

In article svIAb.590113$6C4.355753@pd7tw1no,
"Ed Majden" wrote:

The Wright brothers first flight is correctly being celebrated as a
milestone achievement in aviation. I wonder if the anniversary of
Sputnik will receive the same attention in a few years! This is
just as an important anniversary. No, I'm not a communist; this was
asked on another news group so I'm interested in the comments!

It should be, and probably will.

Sputnik t-shirts, Sputnik toys, Sputnik decorative decanters...

Yep. The high point of the Soviet Union, celebrated in the best
Capitalist tradition.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old December 8th 03, 05:47 AM
John Keeney

"Ed Majden" wrote in message
The Wright brothers first flight is correctly being celebrated as a
milestone achievement in aviation. I wonder if the anniversary of Sputnik
will receive the same attention in a few years! This is just as an
important anniversary. No, I'm not a communist; this was asked on another
news group so I'm interested in the comments!

I'm afraid that until manned space flight is as accessible as
manned flight, most of the world will not consider it as important.
Compared to the changes that followed from the Wrights' flights,
Sputnik was the lead in to a dead-in technology.

Old December 8th 03, 06:56 AM
Ed Majden

"John Keeney"
I'm afraid that until manned space flight is as accessible as
manned flight, most of the world will not consider it as important.

You make a good point. Unless there is a very big break through in
booster technology getting the cost per pound of payload down to an
acceptable level this is not going to happen. You will not see 747 type
space flight for a long time to come. Sputnik did however turn the military
world up side down with the beginnings of the space race etc. For the
general public I guess the biggest impact was in communications technology.

Old December 8th 03, 07:52 AM
Keith Willshaw

"John Keeney" wrote in message

"Ed Majden" wrote in message
The Wright brothers first flight is correctly being celebrated as a
milestone achievement in aviation. I wonder if the anniversary of

Sputnik
will receive the same attention in a few years! This is just as an
important anniversary. No, I'm not a communist; this was asked on

another
news group so I'm interested in the comments!

I'm afraid that until manned space flight is as accessible as
manned flight, most of the world will not consider it as important.
Compared to the changes that followed from the Wrights' flights,
Sputnik was the lead in to a dead-in technology.

Given the dependence modern society has on satellites
in fields ranging from telecommunications through recon
and on to navigation (GPS) this seems a remarkable claim.

There's scarcely a single aspect of our lives that hasnt been
changed by this 'dead-in' (whatever that means) technology.

Keith

Old December 8th 03, 02:35 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Ed Majden" wrote in message
[...]

He apparently has never taken advantage of improved weather predictions
courtesy of satellite surveillance. Or watched TV courtesy of satellite
communications, or talked overseas by phone.

Brooks

Keith

Old December 9th 03, 06:44 AM
John Keeney

"Ed Majden" wrote in message
[...]

But, Keith, what does that have to do with public perception?

Old December 10th 03, 09:44 AM
John Keeney

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"John Keeney" wrote in message

Given the dependence modern society has on satellites
in fields ranging from telecommunications through recon
and on to navigation (GPS) this seems a remarkable claim.

There's scarcely a single aspect of our lives that hasnt been
changed by this 'dead-in' (whatever that means) technology.

But, Keith, what does that have to do with public perception?

I believe the public perceive the reality, hence the use of terms
like 'satelllite navigation' , 'weather satellite', 'satellite phone',
'satellite TV' etc etc.

Baa, the general public perceives "GPS", "weather forecast", "cell phone"
and "TV". While they likely were at some point aware of a connection
between these things and satellites they are not things they associate
with "Sputnik".
The general public on the other hand associates the "Wright Brothers"
(and perhaps the "Wright Flyer") with *FLYING* and getting on "the
big silver bird to go to ____".

But let me be clear: I do not consider space use as "dead-in". That
was a comparative phrase between the advancement in and change
caused by the two lines of progress (manned flight vs space flight)
and their respective beginnings.

Old December 10th 03, 11:02 AM
Keith Willshaw

[...]

A google search for the term 'satellite tv' suggests otherwise
and since Sputnik was the first satellite they undoubtedly
do understand the association.

The general public on the other hand associates the "Wright Brothers"
(and perhaps the "Wright Flyer") with *FLYING* and getting on "the
big silver bird to go to ____".

But let me be clear: I do not consider space use as "dead-in".

Then perhaps you shouldnt have said

Sputnik was the lead in to a dead-in technology.

That
was a comparative phrase between the advancement in and change
caused by the two lines of progress (manned flight vs space flight)
and their respective beginnings.

It was also demonstrably wrong.

Keith

Old December 10th 03, 10:44 PM
John Keeney

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"John Keeney" wrote in message
Then perhaps you shouldnt have said

Sputnik was the lead in to a dead-in technology.

Quote the whole sentence, Kevin.
"Compared to the changes that followed from the Wrights' flights,
Sputnik was the lead in to a dead-in technology."

That
was a comparative phrase between the advancement in and change
caused by the two lines of progress (manned flight vs space flight)
and their respective beginnings.

It was also demonstrably wrong.

I disagree.

Wright Stuff Bob McKellar Military Aviation 1 October 26th 03 03:37 PM
The Wright Stuff and The Wright Experience John Carrier Military Aviation 54 October 12th 03 04:59 AM
Wright Flyer Dave Hyde Home Built 9 September 29th 03 05:20 PM
they took me back in time and the nsa or japan wired my head and now they know the idea came from me so if your back in time and wounder what happen they change tim liverance history for good. I work at rts wright industries and it a time travel trap tim liverance Military Aviation 0 August 18th 03 12:18 AM