Airline Pilots Fly Past Airport at 20,000'

Old February 21st 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Airline Pilots Fly Past Airport at 20,000'

On Feb 21, 8:46*am, "JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote:
gatt wrote:

Oxygen issues maybe? * Could that happen?

* Unlikely. *The passengers had no trouble remaining awake. *Several of them
noticed as they flew past Hilo at cruising altitude.

And no one pulled the cord? What a bunch of lazy pax.

-Robert
Old February 21st 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

If one pilot was male and the other female, there might be another
explanation.
Old February 21st 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Larry Dighera wrote:
Probably were both exhausted by a schedule that was marginally legal but ill
advised.

Perhaps, but it was 0900 local.

Once upon a time when I was a part 135 cargo pilot, I got a call from my
employer at around 0900 saying that I was needed to fly some auto parts from
Shelby, NC to Cleveland, OH. She said to start getting ready and she'd call me
back with the details in a half hour or so. Well, she called back about 15
minutes later saying the vendor didn't have enough of the parts to justify the
flight and so it was off.

That night, as I was getting ready for bed at 2330, I got another call from the
dispatcher saying the flight was on again, and that I was expected at Shelby for
a 0100 pickup. I needed to be at the Charlotte airport by about 1215 to make it
over to Shelby on time. So off I went.

Without boring you with the details, I fought some killer 60-70 knot headwinds
and ice on the way up there and ended up making an intermediate fuel stop at
Charleston, WV (after shooting the ILS), then into Cleveland with another ILS.

After taking on more fuel, I took off again into IMC but soon climbed on top and
settled in for a screaming cruise (now I had all that wind behind me). After
about an hour I switched to the inboard aux tanks.

I woke up when the right engine quit. As I reached over to change tanks and hit
the boost, the other engine quit as well. I remember marveling at how
accurately I'd leaned those engines. Anyway, the C-402 engines relit very
quickly and I was on my way again with no one the wiser. I promised God I would
never fall asleep flying again.

I broke that promise twice more on the remainder of the flight. I touched down
shortly after dawn at Charlotte.

Now, was my flight time in excess of the allowable. No. And my employer could
make the argument that my duty day didn't start until 2330. So what was
illegal? Nothing, I guess. But I sure was a whipped pup.

So the Hawaiian episode happened at 0900? I'd be very curious to see what
they'd been doing for the last 48 hours. And sitting at an airport waiting in
uniform doesn't constitute crew rest to me. Nor does the time spent in taxis.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old February 21st 08, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Thanks for relating your firsthand experience.

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 14:18:26 -0500, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in
:

That night, as I was getting ready for bed at 2330, I got another call from the
dispatcher saying the flight was on again, and that I was expected at Shelby for
a 0100 pickup. I needed to be at the Charlotte airport by about 1215 to make it
over to Shelby on time. So off I went.

Was that an FAA certificated Dispatcher?
http://www.faa.gov/safety/programs_i...PI_6_1_4_O.doc

http://www.fltdisp.com/TheDispatchCa...7/Default.aspx
Old February 21st 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Larry Dighera wrote:
That night, as I was getting ready for bed at 2330, I got another call from
the dispatcher saying the flight was on again, and that I was expected at
Shelby for a 0100 pickup. I needed to be at the Charlotte airport by about
1215 to make it over to Shelby on time. So off I went.

Was that an FAA certificated Dispatcher?
http://www.faa.gov/safety/programs_i...PI_6_1_4_O.doc

http://www.fltdisp.com/TheDispatchCa...7/Default.aspx

She was a company dispatcher. I have no idea what other credentials she held.
This was back around 1990 and the company went tango uniform not three weeks
later.

Pity. Not only was I out of a job, I had just completed the ground school on
the C-47. We had two of them and I never got to actually fly either. I did
pinch a manual, however.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old February 21st 08, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Feb 22, 8:16*am, Paul kgyy wrote:
If one pilot was male and the other female, there might be another
explanation.

This explanation does not require differing sexes. From statistics,
pair of homsexuals would be more likely to be having sex by the way!!!

Cheers
Old February 21st 08, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

"JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote in message
gatt wrote:

Oxygen issues maybe? Could that happen?

Unlikely. The passengers had no trouble remaining awake. Several of
them
noticed as they flew past Hilo at cruising altitude.

That would be an odd feeling. I wonder if anybody notified the flight
attendants..

-c

Old February 21st 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

"WingFlaps" wrote in message
On Feb 22, 8:16 am, Paul kgyy wrote:
If one pilot was male and the other female, there might be another
explanation.

This explanation does not require differing sexes. From statistics,
pair of homsexuals would be more likely to be having sex by the way!!!

"If the cockpit's a-rockin, don't bother knockin'"

Old February 21st 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

"RG" == Robert M Gary writes:

RG And no one pulled the cord? What a bunch of lazy pax.

What about the cabin crew. Or were they snoozing also.
--
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a
monster. For if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also
Old February 21st 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message

If one pilot was male and the other female, there might be another
explanation.

They were getting leied.

-c