No more "Left Downwind"?

Old September 2nd 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default No more "Left Downwind"?

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 15:15:34 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote in
. net:

From: "Mike Rapoport"

It's nice to see your words in the newsgroup again. This is your
second article posted this year, isn't it?

Old September 2nd 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
"Darkwing" theducksmailATyahoo.com wrote:
I've been left downwind when a Business Jet decided to be "right"

downwind
for the same runway even though the airport is left traffic.

Even more exciting is when you're on left downwind for 9 when somebody
announces they're entering a right downwind for 27 :-)

Nah; more exciting is when they don't! :-)

Old September 2nd 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BTIZ

"john smith" wrote in message
left is standard.. right traffic is on the chart with annotations for the
airport along with the airport elevation, lighting, runway length and
frequency.. as in
JEAN (0L7)
2832 *L 46 122.9
RP 2R 20R
or
Sky Ranch (3L2)
2599 - 33 123.0
RP 12

Interesting. I have never seen it.

Does that mean you never go into an airport with a designated right had
traffic pattern?
Or does that mean that you never look at your charts?

just kidding..
BT

Old September 2nd 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BTIZ

same thing happened at HND.. they had a tower, but no designated Class D
airspace
so it was magenta.. when the class D airspace was assigned.. it changed to
blue

BT

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
B A R R Y wrote:

And we all know everyone is flying with current charts. G

Months after OXC got a tower, several pilots flew right in and landed!

I'm not at all surprised. That was a couple of years ago, and it still
feels strange talking to the tower there :-)

The charting was kind of funky at first, as I remember. It showed up as
an
uncontrolled airport (i.e. magenta), with a CDAS around it. The next
edition of the chart showed it in blue.

Old September 2nd 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm with you. In fact, I start and finish my transmission with the
airport name just because I know how *I* am with radio transmissions.

tend to float along not paying real attention and then it's "where did

he
say he was?". So I'll transmit "Rock Hill traffic, Cessna 32Q on left
downwind for runway zero two, Rock Hill." It only takes a split

second
more but I figure it helps, not hurts.

Hear, hear!

That's not just common sense -- it's also the FAA-approved phraseology.
It drives me nuts when people drop the last mention of their
location, cuz -- like you -- I often don't catch the first couple of
words of their transmission.

And, of course, there are those who start talking BEFORE they push the
button, and inadvertently cut off their first few syllables -- so the
final mention of their whereabouts is often their ONLY mention of their
whereabouts.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Very true and transmissions do get "stepped on", so it can't hurt to be
doubly sure.

Old September 2nd 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"BTIZ" wrote in message

same thing happened at HND.. they had a tower, but no designated Class D
airspace
so it was magenta.. when the class D airspace was assigned.. it changed to
blue

That wouldn't be the same thing.

Old September 2nd 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Emily wrote:

So you'd rather assume everyone is familiar instead of including ONE
extra word and making sure? Very, very dangerous.

Oh please... because someone doesn't say "left" before 'downwind' the
danger level drastically increases? I don't think think so. If you want
to say it fine but I do not think its necessary most of the time.

That's just my $.02

Old September 2nd 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee

I will still the term since there can be right hand traffic to a
parallel glider strip at 00V. I also agree that we need more CTAF
frequencies.

Ron Lee
Old September 2nd 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

That wouldn't be the same thing.

Depends on your definition of "same". If you expect it to mean
"identical", then no, the "same thing" could not happen at any other
airport. However, if it is taken to mean "normally synched items
appeared apparantly out of synch for a short while" then "the same
thing" happened there.

It just happened in reverse, so to speak.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old September 2nd 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Jose" wrote in message
news

Depends on your definition of "same". If you expect it to mean
"identical", then no, the "same thing" could not happen at any other
airport. However, if it is taken to mean "normally synched items appeared
apparantly out of synch for a short while" then "the same thing" happened
there.

It just happened in reverse, so to speak.

It's not the same thing because one example had designated Class D airspace
while the other example did not have designated Class D airspace.