New vario by LXNAV

Old May 21st 13, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New vario by LXNAV

Gander at the new LXNAV V80 vario http://www.lxnav.com/products/v80.html

If imitation is the purest form of flattery then LXNAV is certainly paying Butterfly a complement. They are most similar in layout except the LXNAV is an 80mm instrument which I personally find odd as larger 80mm instruments are not welcomed on panels featuring a large MFD like the LX9000 or the ClearNav. If you want this technology with your existing LX8000, LX8080, or LX9000, will it only come in the form of 80 mm V80 vario or will LXNAV incorporate this technology into a 57mm V7 size vario?

Including accelerometers, rate sensors, and magnetometers as Butterfly, ClearNav, and LXNAV have all done is indeed fancy engineering and cudos to each. Hope they can get the software spot on in reasonable time without exposing their customers to years of broken promises.

Its my understanding Butterfly is the only manufacture currently using input from the accelerometers, rate sensors, and magnetometers but please correct me if I am wrong. It will be interesting to follow how ClearNav and LXNAV will teethe the challenge of alignment and magnetic interference inherent with this technology.

Staying tuned.

Ben
Old May 21st 13, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Monday, May 20, 2013 5:45:18 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

The LXNAV V7 also has the sensors. I have a beta firmware that I am testing.

Per LXNAV Just for testing to see if there is any improvements in the air.
It's beta and it's not necessary that this feature will be implemented in offical release.

Butterfly Vario compensation lets you set the percent of input from the ISU from 0 to 100. they recommend 50%

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old May 21st 13, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tobias Bieniek

The LXNAV V7 also has the sensors. I have a beta firmware that I am testing.

Are you absolutely sure about that? The LX page only mentions a acceleration sensor in the vario, but it does not talk about gyros or a compass anywhere. I guess if the sensors were there then the marketing would have mentioned them to increase the perceived value.
Old May 21st 13, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, 21 May 2013 15:55:56 UTC+1, Tobias Bieniek wrote:
The LXNAV V7 also has the sensors. I have a beta firmware that I am testing.

Are you absolutely sure about that? The LX page only mentions a acceleration sensor in the vario, but it does not talk about gyros or a compass anywhere. I guess if the sensors were there then the marketing would have mentioned them to increase the perceived value.

I had a look at the V80 at the BGA conference and a brief chat about the pros and cons of using it with an LX9000. The V9 vario(V5 replacement that is discussed on the LX 8000 + 9000 pages but for some reason not announced otherwise by LXNav) has the full complement of gyro and accelerometer sensors within it so I was told that there is no particular reason to fit a V80 with an LX 8/9000 instead of a V9 unless one particularly wants to have a separate AHRS display from the main display. The AHRS function is now a firmware upgrade instead of a separate sensor box.

None of the LX Nav varios has an integral magnetometer which is just as well IMHO given the difficulties in getting a useable compass display in the panel given the accuracy that they require to give good wind information or to be integrated into an inertial measurment unit. LXNav doesn't seem to be selling the remote compass unit now and although they refer to using it with their new stand alone AHRS instrument so I don't know whether they expect customers to buy the LX Navigation compass instead(??)
Old May 21st 13, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hopefully Uroš Krašovic of LXNAV will jump in and give us a clarification.

Old May 21st 13, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Scroll down on this page:

http://www.lxnav.com/products/lx9000.html

Old May 22nd 13, 11:15 PM
dbrunone dbrunone is offline
Member

I havent been able to get on lxnav.com in a few days...just says "cannot connect to server". Anyone else have this problem??

LXNAV V7 - Reviews? David Reitter Soaring 10 October 21st 14 12:41 AM
LXNAV flarmMouse DC[_5_] Soaring 15 January 11th 13 06:26 AM
LXNav V7 vs Butterfly vario? Chris Davison[_2_] Soaring 32 January 8th 13 09:37 AM
New LXNAV V3 variometers in stock now Paul Remde Soaring 8 December 30th 12 01:26 PM
LXNAV V7 Paul Remde Soaring 2 November 2nd 11 12:31 AM