Oudie Question

Old May 27th 13, 11:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger Fowler[_3_]

Default Oudie Question

I have a very basic question, but I have never found anyone that would
answer it. I have been flying with an Oudie for a year or so. I now have
the opportunity to fly a glider with a Cambridge 302 installed. So my
question is:

What advantage is there to driving the Oudie from the 302 as opposed to
driving the Oudie from its internal GPS?

Thanks in advance,
Roger

Old May 27th 13, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Roger,

If you connect the Oudie to the 302 - the 302 will send not only GPS data,
but also vario data (making the thermal assistant much more useful),
airspeed and wind (the wind being much more accurate - especially when
flying on a ridge or in wave). I highly recommend connecting the Oudie to
the 302.

The connection can be made using the supplied Oudie power/data cable and the
supplied RJ45 to DB-9m adapter. I show how to configure the adapter for use
with the 302 near the bottom of my Naviter web page. The Oudie power/data
cable must be powered with 12V to work. Or you can use a Goddard
Oudie-PS5a-1 cable - which uses the 5V power supply from the 302 to power
both the Oudie and the cable's serial data voltage level converter.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
_______________________________________

Old May 29th 13, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

Paul,

You mention above the Oudie-PS5a-1 cable.

I believe that your cables listed below are all identical in
functionality except for their lengths. Can you confirm? Thanks.

Oudie-PS5a-0p3 - 0.3m
Oudie-PS5a-0p5 - 0.5m
Oudie-PS5a-1 - 1m
Oudie-PS5a-2 - 2m
Oudie-PS5a-3 - 3m 3 meters!? Someone needs a 9+ foot cable!?
Wow.

- John
Old May 29th 13, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi John,

Yes. The only difference is the length. The 3 m long version is for 2-seat
gliders.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old May 30th 13, 01:14 AM
dbrunone dbrunone is offline
Member

To answer your question about GPS, the advantage of using 302 GPS is that there is no difference between logged GPS data and displayed GPS data. So if you are flying contests or tasks and you hit a turnpoint as displayed on the oude, you know for sure that those coordinates were also logged.

Question for Oudie users [email protected] Soaring 9 September 13th 12 02:17 PM
Oudie fredblair Soaring 0 June 13th 12 06:56 PM
Oudie Peter von Tresckow Soaring 2 December 18th 11 01:31 PM
oudie Steve Hunt[_2_] Soaring 0 July 7th 11 08:58 AM
Oudie - ConnectMe question [email protected] Soaring 9 August 9th 10 04:18 PM