What is the L/D penalty of outside mounted GoPros?

Old January 4th 15, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Default What is the L/D penalty of outside mounted GoPros?

There are smaller cameras available, cheap. About the size of a key fob and smaller. Double stick tape to the glider.
May not have remote control capability. Google to look for them.

One of our club members used them. Look on YouTube for videos by "Unclefuzzy" the outside camera shots are from the "key fob" cameras.

BillT
Old January 4th 15, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

That uncle fuzzy search on you tube is not working. He passed away. Hopefully his account was not deleted.
BillT
Old January 5th 15, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 12:55:47 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I am thinking about trying to do some soaring videos. Inside the cockpit footage only is boring and I want to be more like Balleka with amazing outside camera shots. The reason why I haven't done much is concern over the performance penalty of outside cams while trying to do longer XC flights.

Bruno - get one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

Head-on (tail mount) it has a frontal area of .004 sq ft and sideways (wingtip mount) it has a frontal area of .02 sq ft. If you mount it on the tail where the vertical meet the horizontal or out on the tip of the horizontal stab it will have practically zero drag. I will 3D print you a fairing for the sideways mount if you like. That's how much I like your videos.

9B
Old January 5th 15, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"If you have to ask, you can't afford it" Heh heh....
Old January 5th 15, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 1:55:47 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I am thinking about trying to do some soaring videos. Inside the cockpit footage only is boring and I want to be more like Balleka with amazing outside camera shots. The reason why I haven't done much is concern over the performance penalty of outside cams while trying to do longer XC flights.

Anyone smarter than me (I know most of you are, other than TT) able to figure out the drag penalty of a GoPro either mounted on the wing or on the tail of a 27? It would be attached with the adhesive mount and not the larger suction cup mount in hope of reducing the drag. The GoPro in its larger case to accommodate an extra battery is 41mm H x 59mm W x 40mm D.

What I am hoping to figure out is if it is a 1-2 point L/D penalty or something more like a 4-5 point drop. Those of you who have flown with me know I need every L/D point I can get.

Here's to hopefully a lot of fun 2015 soaring videos shared from a bunch of us!

Bruno - B4
Oh yeah - and Nephi is amazing!

I have a Sony HDR-AS15 Action Video Camera that can be operated via wifi from an android phone or tablet. Less bulky that a GoPro, similar video quality and reasonably priced.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
Old January 5th 15, 07:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Sunday, January 4, 2015 5:09:06 PM UTC-8, Andy Blackburn wrote:
On Saturday, January 3, 2015 12:55:47 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I am thinking about trying to do some soaring videos. Inside the cockpit footage only is boring and I want to be more like Balleka with amazing outside camera shots. The reason why I haven't done much is concern over the performance penalty of outside cams while trying to do longer XC flights..

Bruno - get one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

Head-on (tail mount) it has a frontal area of .004 sq ft and sideways (wingtip mount) it has a frontal area of .02 sq ft. If you mount it on the tail where the vertical meet the horizontal or out on the tip of the horizontal stab it will have practically zero drag. I will 3D print you a fairing for the sideways mount if you like. That's how much I like your videos.

9B

For WiFi remote and a 3+ hour battery (claimed) you can get this for a slight incremental drag penalty:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...eo_camera.html

9B
Old January 5th 15, 08:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Heinz Gehlhaar

But the outside camera will miss the sounds you hear and we all fly by. Also we wont get to see the instruments, and you cannot annotate in real life.
BTW: Thanks for all your uploaded videos.
Heinz

Old January 5th 15, 11:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Higgs

Come on guys, its just basic mathematics...

Glider weight.... 350kg
Glider Ratio.... 35:1
So Drag = 350/35 = 10kg
If your (air-brake) camera produces a drag of 2kg
New Drag = 12kg
Therefor New Glide ratio is 350/12 = 29.2 : 1

If you use 5 cameras you would halve the L/D.
QED.

Old January 5th 15, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Monday, 5 January 2015 09:06:58 UTC+2, Heinz Gehlhaar wrote:
But the outside camera will miss the sounds you hear and we all fly by. Also we wont get to see the instruments, and you cannot annotate in real life.
BTW: Thanks for all your uploaded videos.
Heinz

There are a couple of solutions to record cockpit audio with an externally mounted camera.

1. The easiest/cheapest solution is to record sound in the cockpit using a cheap smartphone or dictaphone and then sync it with the video post production.

2. Another option is to stream the audio from the cockpit to the external camera via bluetooth or Wifi.
One such solution is the Sena Bluetooth Audio Pack for GoPro http://www.sena.com/product/cameras/...opackforgopro/
The Sena solution requires no post production audio syncing and it even allows you to mix the GoPro's internal microphone with external audio input.

My biggest gripe regarding action camera's and flying is their very limited battery life.
The last thing I want to be doing while flying is fiddling with nonsense when I should be looking outside the cockpit.
20,000 mAh battery pack + 128GB SD card = switch on recording on the ground and switch it off after landing. Then edit the video post flight.
Old January 6th 15, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PBA

Bruno,
You just posted a video of some Wave flying using two cameras in your cockpit. That was awesome. For me that was all I needed. Some great wing flex with two perspectives at the same time is perfect.

Surge, I agree about crappy battery life in the cameras. I solved this problem with a solderng iron. It voids warranty, but FYI you can hardwire your go pro/sony cam into a 12v to 5v stepdown and run it off the glider battery.. This way you get endless video. I think Paul @ Cumulus has some 5v battery options as well...anway, I'm doing this currently and have landed with 5 hrs of extremely boring, continuous flight video of flatland soaring....I need to move to the mountains!

Externally mounted GoPros okay? Jim Lewis[_2_] Soaring 4 December 30th 14 11:52 PM
UO penalty @ Hobbs For Example John Smith Soaring 4 June 12th 05 08:34 PM
There is no penalty for failing to make the required FAA reports or investigation! Larry Dighera Piloting 9 October 12th 04 04:06 AM
TFR Penalty Magellan Piloting 9 September 5th 04 01:24 AM
~ US JOINS CHINA & IRAN AS TOP DEATH PENALTY USERS ~ Matt Wiser Military Aviation 0 April 8th 04 02:55 PM