Muy suspicioso?

Old January 16th 15, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Default Muy suspicioso?

Perhaps in your inbox...
The wording on what appears to be a SSA e-mail is a bit suspect.
Jim

" It is imperative that you respond IMMEDIATELY to this email in order to begin receiving the SSA's monthly newsletter. You will NOT receive the newsletter until you respond by clicking the link below this message"
Old January 16th 15, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, January 15, 2015 at 4:26:07 PM UTC-8, JS wrote:
Perhaps in your inbox...
The wording on what appears to be a SSA e-mail is a bit suspect.
Jim

" It is imperative that you respond IMMEDIATELY to this email in order to begin receiving the SSA's monthly newsletter. You will NOT receive the newsletter until you respond by clicking the link below this message"

I hope it's legit cause I clicked on it
Old January 16th 15, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 16:39:09 -0800, krudawg wrote:

" It is imperative that you respond IMMEDIATELY to this email in order
to begin receiving the SSA's monthly newsletter. You will NOT receive
the newsletter until you respond by clicking the link below this
message"

I hope it's legit cause I clicked on it

Personally, when anybody tells me I MUST respond or click something, I
immediately smell a rat: usually a salesdroid or a spammer.

One way to see what you've got is to look at the e-mail headers. The LAST
'received' header is the first hop the mail made and in this case should
be the SSA, assuming they mailed it to their bulk-mail contracter. The
From: header should carry an SSA address and often the Message-ID header
will end in the sender's domain name, e.g ssa.org

If your mailreader won't let you inspect the headers in a e-mail,
consider getting a better one. Similarly, I NEVER run with preview on
because if the mail is carrying nasties its too late once you've seen the
preview. Think about it: to show you the preview, the reader must have
opened the mail and already tried to show you all the pictures etc, so if
any of them had nasties hidden in them, you've already been attacked.

Me, I never turn preview on and always look at the plain text by default
because the fancy HTML/web-styled version of the e-mail can have all
manner of unpleasant things hidden in it.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 16th 15, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, January 15, 2015 at 7:26:07 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
Perhaps in your inbox...
The wording on what appears to be a SSA e-mail is a bit suspect.
Jim

" It is imperative that you respond IMMEDIATELY to this email in order to begin receiving the SSA's monthly newsletter. You will NOT receive the newsletter until you respond by clicking the link below this message"

Given that it was from Kayla Owens, I didn't suspect anything to be concerned about.
UH
Old January 16th 15, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There is a message on the SSA Website indicating that it is legit.

Randy
Old January 16th 15, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, January 15, 2015 at 7:26:07 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
Perhaps in your inbox...
The wording on what appears to be a SSA e-mail is a bit suspect.
Jim

" It is imperative that you respond IMMEDIATELY to this email in order to begin receiving the SSA's monthly newsletter. You will NOT receive the newsletter until you respond by clicking the link below this message"

I thought it was suspicious too. Didn't click it. Anyone's email can be hacked, so the fact that it was from Kayla Owens didn't hold any sway.
Old January 16th 15, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Thursday, January 15, 2015 at 8:25:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, January 15, 2015 at 7:26:07 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
Perhaps in your inbox...
The wording on what appears to be a SSA e-mail is a bit suspect.
Jim

" It is imperative that you respond IMMEDIATELY to this email in order to begin receiving the SSA's monthly newsletter. You will NOT receive the newsletter until you respond by clicking the link below this message"

Given that it was from Kayla Owens, I didn't suspect anything to be concerned about.
UH

More importantly, from what I saw in the "from header", I acknowledged.
Old January 16th 15, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

I had the same concerns so I e-mailed Kayla directly.

The e-mail and link are legit and safe.

Lou
Old January 16th 15, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Thursday, January 15, 2015 at 5:26:07 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
Perhaps in your inbox...
The wording on what appears to be a SSA e-mail is a bit suspect.
Jim

" It is imperative that you respond IMMEDIATELY to this email in order to begin receiving the SSA's monthly newsletter. You will NOT receive the newsletter until you respond by clicking the link below this message"

I had been in touch with the SSA office recently as I hadn't received the two December SSA e-News mailings. They did not end up in my filters, nor did I end up on the Constant Contact bounce list. Perhaps I was not the only one reporting this and the reason for the change to iContact. I suggest clicking the link if you'd like to continue receiving the SSA e-News.

Frank Whiteley
Old January 17th 15, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Would it not be less dramatic if the SSA merely added a check box for e-news on our member account page? Say, right under the field where our email ID is located? I also nuked the email w/o opening it.