Ipaq HX4700 Series

Old January 21st 15, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
XXL

Default Ipaq HX4700 Series

Hoping someone may be able to help. I'm working on getting my gear up and running for the coming season and want to use my iPaq HX4700. It has not been used in quite a while, so I ordered a new 3.V = 2000mAh battery. A voltmeter shows that is has juice, and seems to be charging, but the device will not power up.

Does anyone have any experience with this who may be able to offer a thought or two?

Thanks,
Roderick
Old January 21st 15, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 8:47:46 AM UTC-7, XXL wrote:
Hoping someone may be able to help. I'm working on getting my gear up and running for the coming season and want to use my iPaq HX4700. It has not been used in quite a while, so I ordered a new 3.V = 2000mAh battery. A voltmeter shows that is has juice, and seems to be charging, but the device will not power up.

Does anyone have any experience with this who may be able to offer a thought or two?

Thanks,
Roderick

Make sure the battery pack switch is in the locked position.

Good luck.

R5

Old January 21st 15, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
XXL

Done. It may be the internal battery - read some older posts about it needing to be replaced.

Thanks
Old January 22nd 15, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I think there was a thread on this a year ago. I've had a 4700 & 5555, but only have saved the procedure for the 5555, hopefully similar for your 4700.. Suggest you search for the manual online and look for this similar item. Good luck.
~Barny
Here is a RAS response for one of the two, but don't recall which one:
1. How to correct iPAQ 5450, 5455, 5550, 5555 battery charging problems / dead unit syndrome.

The iPAQ 54xx or 55xx will not power on if the batteries charge is lower than 3.2 Volts, if your battery charge falls below the 3.2 volts level your unit will not turn on, you need to plug the iPAQ into a cradle or AC charge adaptor. Note the charging light on the iPAQ will not flash at all (normally flashes orange) until the battery charge has reached a minimum charge level of 3.2 volts. You then need to perform a normal reset, then the unit should switch on normally.

Here is the 5555 user guide instructions:
HP Procedure is as follows:

To charge and reset the iPAQ Pocket PC h5400:

i) Connect the iPAQ Pocket PC h5400 to an A/C power supply.

ii) Charge the battery to the minimum level of 3.2 Volts. This will take 5 to 30 minutes depending on the current charge level.

iii) Perform a normal reset.

iv) Power on the iPAQ Pocket PC h5400

Old January 22nd 15, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Here is where I got my replacement internal battery for my 4800. http://www.pdasmart.com/
Old January 22nd 15, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Here is where I got my replacement internal battery for my 4700. http://www.pdasmart.com/
Old January 22nd 15, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 5:10:57 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 7:47:46 AM UTC-8, XXL wrote:
Hoping someone may be able to help. I'm working on getting my gear up and running for the coming season and want to use my iPaq HX4700. It has not been used in quite a while, so I ordered a new 3.V = 2000mAh battery. A voltmeter shows that is has juice, and seems to be charging, but the device will not power up.

Does anyone have any experience with this who may be able to offer a thought or two?

Thanks,
Roderick

Here is where I got my replacement internal battery for my 4700. http://www.pdasmart.com/

wow, those little guys are expensive, $45... Can't remember exactly what I paid a few years ago but I do remember it being a bit expensive. I have an Oudie now, with battery prices like that it may make sense to look that way, but there is a well known competition pilot, first name Sebastian, who still flies with an ipaq..
Old January 22nd 15, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Get a 3900 and dump the 4700 to start with. The 4700 is prone to overheating.

Need to replace the internal battery as well as the main one.
Old January 22nd 15, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
XXL

Thanks for the support on this. It seems to be down to the internal battery now, but those seem difficult to find as well - V6HR, but will look around for something today.

I do have a 3955 as well, but same issue - need a new battery for that. I've been too busy teaching the past year or two, and haven't had a chance to use my devices, but want to get them updated for the coming season, and use them with Condor.

Cheers,
Roderick
Old January 22nd 15, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 9:26:10 AM UTC-6, XXL wrote:
Thanks for the support on this. It seems to be down to the internal battery now, but those seem difficult to find as well - V6HR, but will look around for something today.

I do have a 3955 as well, but same issue - need a new battery for that. I've been too busy teaching the past year or two, and haven't had a chance to use my devices, but want to get them updated for the coming season, and use them with Condor.

Cheers,
Roderick

Rod, throw that 3955 as far as you can in the general direction of your trash can. I still have one too but just as a backup for my Avier. Buy one of those or an Oudie and you won't look back. I hated flying a final glide in contests trying to decipher what the IPAQ was not allowing me to see with the sun at the 'wrong' angle. The newer screens are so much better, it not even funny. IPAQ's time has come and gone.

Volkslogger to HP IPAQ hx4700 Connection RN Soaring 0 February 17th 12 05:57 PM
Ipaq HX4700 for sale 8H Soaring 0 June 8th 10 06:28 PM
HP iPaq hx4700 issues GK[_1_] Soaring 3 January 4th 08 07:39 PM
For Sale: IN THE COCKPIT VHS VIDEO SERIES - 6 Tape Series [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 November 2nd 06 04:12 PM
Ancient Service Bulletin on Converting Continental A-Series and C-Series Engines to Higher Horsepower: 65 to 75HP, Etc. jls Home Built 0 February 21st 05 04:36 PM