Best spot to mount radio?

Old November 30th 14, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Best spot to mount radio?

Most people seem to prefer to mount their radio far down on the panel. Is this the best spot? The stick obscures the radio.

Williams soaring mounted their ASK 21 radios on the far left but I have no idea how they support the radio as there isn't any space to attach a support bracket.

So my 2 options:
1. Mount the radio on the bottom riser of the panel
2. Mount the radio on the right or left (57mm) and make a support bracket to hold the weight of the radio.

Thoughts?

Nick
Old November 30th 14, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

The radio is the least adjusted and the least looked at. Makes sense to mount it low in a stack. Just be sure you can reach it to change freq, adjust volume and squelch.

BT
Old November 30th 14, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Schleicher TN 2008_TM02_E_HB which is about adding equipment says that unless an instrument weighs more than 1Kg it's OK to secure it with just the four instrument panel screws. A Becker or Dittel radio would weigh less than this.

I'm currently finding out whether my old FSG-40 is still serviceable. It's mounted at the very bottom of the panel which works fine. Problem is that there's not enough vertical space in that location to fit a modern 57mm Dittel so if I need a new radio I may end up mounting it at the far left where the mechanical vario is now and leaving the empty FSG-40 bracket in place. That bracket is the only structure behind the panel so I used it to mount the new Powerflarm core this past spring.
Old November 30th 14, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 18:07:41 -0800, nrl wrote:

Mount the radio
on the right or left (57mm) and make a support bracket to hold the
weight of the radio.

Modern radios are quite light. The Dittel KRT-2 I bought this year fits a
57mm hole. It weighs 150g, the case is 150 x 60 x 60mm with a BNF antenna
connection and a D-15 for everything else on its rear end.

The ATR-500 it replaced is about the same weight and 30mm longer.

HTH

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old November 30th 14, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You may want to consider visability and hand coordination. Even though the radio is adjusted less often, I mount it in middle (or left) because I fly with my right hand and I can adjust devices with knobs using my uncoordinated left hand. Mostly this is for changing volume because some guys' radios in my group are very loud and some are very soft. Detailed hand inputs like the navigate require my right hand, so the screen is on the right, off the panel. The vario is top center for best visual and also for left hand adjustments including volume.
Old December 1st 14, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 08:59:44 -0700, Dan Marotta wrote:

My radio is near the bottom of the panel, just above the transponder
(which isn't touched in flight unless I decide to talk to ATC).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p1raaq03vx...Panel.jpg?dl=0

Mine is more or less centred at the bottom of the panel:
http://www.gregorie.org/gliding/libelle/FLARM_panel.jpg

This pic was made before the KRT-2 replaced the ATR-500: the radio
placement is unchanged.

I'm left handed but fly with my right hand and have no problem with
operating everything, including the B.40 (top right) and LK8000 with my
left hand.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old December 9th 14, 11:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Why not buy a FSG-50 as a replacement? Same dimensions, slightly less
outdated, reliable, and very cheap.

Andreas"

Actually I'm considering doing just that if necessary! One of the members of my club is from Germany and says many people in his old club are switching to 8.33 spacing radios so someone may have an FSG available.