Glider Accident In Labelle, Fl.?

Old April 16th 18, 11:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glider Accident In Labelle, Fl.?

I has been reported that Tom Irlbeck was killed on Saturday while glider flying in Labelle , Florida. If anyone knows of this incident could you please confirm or dispel.
Old April 16th 18, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le lundi 16 avril 2018 12:59:29 UTC+2, a écritÂ*:
I has been reported that Tom Irlbeck was killed on Saturday while glider flying in Labelle , Florida. If anyone knows of this incident could you please confirm or dispel.

Well, that's a remarkable example of bad taste.
Disgusting.
Old April 16th 18, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

I just got a call confirming. Very sad day for all of us.

Initial word is he got high on tow and released at about 400'. Tow pilot spotted him in a spiral. No further details and there's no value in speculation until we hear more facts about the accident.

As was relayed to me, Tom was highly experienced and was the spark that kept their small club going. His loss will be felt for a long, long time.

Paul A.

Old April 16th 18, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 6:59:29 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I has been reported that Tom Irlbeck was killed on Saturday while glider flying in Labelle , Florida. If anyone knows of this incident could you please confirm or dispel.

Yes, I spoke with someone who had knowledge of the accident, sad news. Tom was a very experienced pilot, he really did a lot to make soaring possible in Labelle.
Old April 16th 18, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Sounds like he had an amazing flying background - carrier ops in a Phantom, instructor at Top Gun school, airlines, as well as gliding instructor. Condolences to all who knew him.
Old April 16th 18, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=159601
Old April 16th 18, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Finegan[_2_]

Tom was a good friend and partner with me in a PIK-20B. An excellent "stick" and aviation career both in the Navy and subsequently with airlines. His loss will be felt both in Florida and here in MN/WI.

Ask that we not speculate as to cause in this forum.

Thanks!
Mike
Old April 17th 18, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 5:59:29 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I has been reported that Tom Irlbeck was killed on Saturday while glider flying in Labelle , Florida. If anyone knows of this incident could you please confirm or dispel.

Tom is my cousin and we in Minnesota received word Sunday morning of his tragic death in a glider accident. I understand that an investigation to its cause is underway. We have not received any further word, other than a memorial service will be held in May. I have no further details and am as anxious as his flying friends to know more.
Tracy Tolzmann, Harris, MN
Old April 17th 18, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sadly, it’s true. It happened Saturday afternoon. Tom was on tow. The tow pilot reported Tom’s glider started flying erratically. Tom requested the tow pilot to head back to the field. Then he released, pitched up, stalled and entered a spin. A medical issue or incapacitation I suspected.

This is approximately third-hand information. No other details at this time. The source is Tom’s brother Paul. Tom will be dearly missed.
Old April 18th 18, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, April 17, 2018 at 10:09:10 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 5:59:29 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I has been reported that Tom Irlbeck was killed on Saturday while glider flying in Labelle , Florida. If anyone knows of this incident could you please confirm or dispel.

Tom is my cousin and we in Minnesota received word Sunday morning of his tragic death in a glider accident. I understand that an investigation to its cause is underway. We have not received any further word, other than a memorial service will be held in May. I have no further details and am as anxious as his flying friends to know more.
Tracy Tolzmann, Harris, MN

Tracy, Tom was a great guy. He volunteered with us for the SSA exhibit at Oshkosh whenever he could. I saw him in FL last month and was looking forward to seeing him at AirVenture again in July. He will surely be missed. Anne M.

Glider accident in Reno GM Soaring 1 April 16th 15 07:32 PM
Glider Accident and Fatality in Utah Renny[_2_] Soaring 1 July 15th 14 03:05 AM
Jacumba Glider Accident Sat June 29? [email protected] Soaring 11 July 3rd 13 05:51 AM
Labelle control surface weights Martin Eiler Soaring 1 April 28th 07 12:32 AM
Glider accident near San Antonio Duster Soaring 0 June 26th 06 08:43 PM