A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Glider Accident In Labelle, Fl.?

Old April 16th 18, 11:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Glider Accident In Labelle, Fl.?

I has been reported that Tom Irlbeck was killed on Saturday while glider flying in Labelle , Florida. If anyone knows of this incident could you please confirm or dispel.
Old April 16th 18, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster

Le lundi 16 avril 2018 12:59:29 UTC+2, a écritÂ*:
I has been reported that Tom Irlbeck was killed on Saturday while glider flying in Labelle , Florida. If anyone knows of this incident could you please confirm or dispel.

Well, that's a remarkable example of bad taste.
Disgusting.
Old April 16th 18, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew
external usenet poster

I just got a call confirming. Very sad day for all of us.

Initial word is he got high on tow and released at about 400'. Tow pilot spotted him in a spiral. No further details and there's no value in speculation until we hear more facts about the accident.

As was relayed to me, Tom was highly experienced and was the spark that kept their small club going. His loss will be felt for a long, long time.

Paul A.

Old April 16th 18, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 6:59:29 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Yes, I spoke with someone who had knowledge of the accident, sad news. Tom was a very experienced pilot, he really did a lot to make soaring possible in Labelle.
Old April 16th 18, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

Sounds like he had an amazing flying background - carrier ops in a Phantom, instructor at Top Gun school, airlines, as well as gliding instructor. Condolences to all who knew him.
Old April 16th 18, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 5:59:29 AM UTC-5, wrote:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=159601
Old April 16th 18, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Finegan[_2_]
external usenet poster

Tom was a good friend and partner with me in a PIK-20B. An excellent "stick" and aviation career both in the Navy and subsequently with airlines. His loss will be felt both in Florida and here in MN/WI.

Ask that we not speculate as to cause in this forum.

Thanks!
Mike
Old April 17th 18, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Tom is my cousin and we in Minnesota received word Sunday morning of his tragic death in a glider accident. I understand that an investigation to its cause is underway. We have not received any further word, other than a memorial service will be held in May. I have no further details and am as anxious as his flying friends to know more.
Tracy Tolzmann, Harris, MN
Old April 17th 18, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Sadly, it’s true. It happened Saturday afternoon. Tom was on tow. The tow pilot reported Tom’s glider started flying erratically. Tom requested the tow pilot to head back to the field. Then he released, pitched up, stalled and entered a spin. A medical issue or incapacitation I suspected.

This is approximately third-hand information. No other details at this time. The source is Tom’s brother Paul. Tom will be dearly missed.
Old April 18th 18, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 17, 2018 at 10:09:10 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Tom is my cousin and we in Minnesota received word Sunday morning of his tragic death in a glider accident. I understand that an investigation to its cause is underway. We have not received any further word, other than a memorial service will be held in May. I have no further details and am as anxious as his flying friends to know more.
Tracy Tolzmann, Harris, MN

Tracy, Tom was a great guy. He volunteered with us for the SSA exhibit at Oshkosh whenever he could. I saw him in FL last month and was looking forward to seeing him at AirVenture again in July. He will surely be missed. Anne M.