GliderLink - New team soaring app for airborne location sharing

Old April 26th 18, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default GliderLink - New team soaring app for airborne location sharing

Hello Ben and greetings from Canada.

I installed the App but could not download the area covering South West Quebec and South East Ontario. Montreal Soaring Council, our club is located in Hawkesbury, ON.

Is it difficult to add the Canadian Map ?

Best of luck with this project. I see great potential specially as suggested if it can be integrated into other Apps such as XCsoar !
Old April 26th 18, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It would be fantastic if this could be integrated with Top Hat
Old April 26th 18, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

I have Flarm and I still would use this - because in the US only racers have Flarm. I see this a the perfect solution for a club environment.

Please make an iOS version.

And look at the possibility of an NMEA output so the glider data could be sent to other soaring map displays via Bluetooth - Oudie, LXnnnn, Clearnav, etc.

Perhaps some other smart guy could come up with a way to deconflict duplicate tracks (FLARM vs ADSB vs GliderLink. Possibly by callsign?

Kirk
66
Old April 26th 18, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Don't forget that Flarm also displays ADS-B traffic.

On 4/26/2018 10:07 AM, wrote:
Let's not stop new solutions to preserve Flarm's market share. Add near traffic algorithms and Flarm units can take their place on the shelf next to barographs.
On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 10:56:22 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 10:17:45 AM UTC-4, waremark wrote:
Can you explain for the technically illiterate? Is that a license to use it in the US? What about the UK?

Why have you chosen for this app not to work with output from a Flarm?

Sounds like it's an independent alternative to FLARM, and 90% cheaper. It only offers some of what FLARM offers though. Perhaps collision warnings can be added to the app. It still wouldn't include listening to ADS-B signals like PowerFLARM does. And it depends on other gliders in the area also using the same device. The more people use this instead of FLARM the less useful FLARM will be. Unless the different systems are cross-linked via a server, but that would require cellular data service. A consolidation of this app and the IGCdroid app (for logging and optionally real-time tracking) would also simplify things.

How long do the batteries last in this usage, in both the smartphone and the goTenna?

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 26th 18, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 11:04:21 AM UTC-6, kirk.stant wrote:
I have Flarm and I still would use this - because in the US only racers have Flarm. I see this a the perfect solution for a club environment.

Please make an iOS version.

And look at the possibility of an NMEA output so the glider data could be sent to other soaring map displays via Bluetooth - Oudie, LXnnnn, Clearnav, etc.

Perhaps some other smart guy could come up with a way to deconflict duplicate tracks (FLARM vs ADSB vs GliderLink. Possibly by callsign?

Kirk
66

"because in the US only racers have Flarm"

For clarification, at Moriarty we have over 20 owners with PowerFlarms and only 1 or 2 actually race in regionals or nationals. Now, we almost all "do" fly the OLC....and we all would rather not run into each other or run into other traffic... ;-)

Old April 26th 18, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 1:33:39 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
I am a US based pilot and I am not aware of any privately owned and flown gliders at my airfield that do not have Flarm.

It's a regional thing. I am a US based pilot and I am not aware of any gliders flown at my airfield that have Flarm. (Out of about a dozen.) In our soaring area there is relatively little civilian non-glider air traffic. And within the glider flying community it's a chicken-and-egg thing, it's useless since nobody else has it, so why buy it.
Old April 26th 18, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 1:33:39 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
I am a US based pilot and I am not aware of any privately owned and flown gliders at my airfield that do not have Flarm.

It's a regional thing. I am a US based pilot and I am not aware of any gliders flown at my airfield that have Flarm. (Out of about a dozen.) In our soaring area there is relatively little civilian non-glider air traffic. And within the glider flying community it's a chicken-and-egg thing, it's useless since nobody else has it, so why buy it.

Correction: I think there is ONE pilot here with FLARM. Probably because he goes to contests elsewhere.
Old April 26th 18, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Moshe, there are lots of gliders overflying your airfield with flarm. Perhaps if you had flarm you would be aware of that traffic.

RR

Old April 26th 18, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Moshe, there are lots of gliders overflying your airfield with flarm. Perhaps if you had flarm you would be aware of that traffic.

RR

It's a regional thing. I am a US based pilot and I am not aware of any gliders flown at my airfield that have Flarm. (Out of about a dozen.) In our soaring area there is relatively little civilian non-glider air traffic. And within the glider flying community it's a chicken-and-egg thing, it's useless since nobody else has it, so why buy it.

Correction: I think there is ONE pilot here with FLARM. Probably because he goes to contests elsewhere.

You're right, RR. They're coming from elsewhere though - such as your club which is located a lot closer to the Big City. And there aren't enough of them over our heads so far to change the mindset in my club about FLARM. Yes the perception might differ from reality, as we don't know what we would have seen had we had FLARM. The one pilot with (IIRC) FLARM says he sees more GA (non-glider) traffic (via ADS-B) than he would otherwise be aware of. Still it's not a high-traffic area, and nobody here even thinks about transponders.