Coordinated turning stall and spins

Old November 13th 03, 04:51 PM
Bill Daniels

"Chris OCallaghan" wrote in message
m...

I have always entered spins through a misapplication of the controls.
Various models differ in the amount of misuse they'll tolerate. For
example, a Lark IS-28 will spin if you stick your hand out the clear
view in a left turning stall (only a slight exageration).

I must mildly object to this general characterization of the Lark, although
it's possible that they vary considerably from one IS28 to another. I have
never flown one that behaves as you describe.

The IS28B2 that I just sold (SN 102) behaved more or less as you described
the behavior of the Ventus 2bx. As such, I think of the Lark as a wonderful
advanced trainer for pilots making the transition to glass. My time in the
Lark made my first Nimbus flights very comfortable.

Bill Daniels

Old November 13th 03, 07:32 PM
Robert Ehrlich

Chris OCallaghan wrote:
I have always entered spins through a misapplication of the controls.
Various models differ in the amount of misuse they'll tolerate. For
example, a Lark IS-28 will spin if you stick your hand out the clear
view in a left turning stall (only a slight exageration). The Grob 103
has only a very small spin entry window -- to the point that most
pilots don't have the patience to find it and thus pronounce it
unspinnable. And yet, once in the spin, the 103 is perhaps the most
interesting. (The SGS 1-26E is, in my opinion, the ultimate spin
training platform. Easy entry (big ailerons), easy recovery (just let
go), and a very stable spinning motion that lets you get used to
attitude and rotation rate. Only disadvantage is that you'll be
teaching yourself. Start high.)

During my recent instructor course (last September) I had some spin
training in a PW6 (no other glider allowed to spin was available).
I found it very easy to enter as well as to recover the spin. After
that the (meta) instructor said "I guess that even if you release
all controls, it will recover", so we tried it and it recovered, then
I said "But we had the trim set for flight at max L/D, I guess that
with full aft trim it does not self recover", we tried it and it
did not self recover.
Old November 13th 03, 07:52 PM
Don Johnstone

OK, I agree with what you say and I suspect that if
the glider departed at 300ft I would be straight into
recovery as well. I suppose the point I am trying to
make is that departure from flight with insufficient
distance between the glider and the ground is going
to hurt whatever we do. We spend an awful lot of time
teaching spin recovery, and rightly so. We seem to
me, to spend less time emphasising the signs and symtons
of approaching stalls/spins and this I feel needs to
be put right. The cpncentration on keeping balanced
flight when near the ground indicates that the problem
has been thought about and recognised. How many glider
pilots have thought that deeply and really understand
that lighting fast recovery techniques will not help
when close to the ground? How many are able to recognise
the onset of disaster and take recovery action before
it happens? The people who have been posting on this
thread almost certainly have but what of the silent
ones?
The final turn stall/spin claims many every year. Are
we really approaching the problem in the right way?
As an aside it is not just glider pilots who get it
wrong. I recall reading an accident report of an airliner
which had taken off from Heathrow back in the 60's
or 70's. The aircraft stalled at about 3000ft and hit
the ground in a stalled condition. There were 3 qualified
ATPL pilots in the cockpit, two of them qualified as
captain on type. None of them it would appear recognised
that the airplane was stalled.
What chance have we mere mortals got if the gods get
it wrong?

At 15:06 13 November 2003, Chris Ocallaghan wrote:
Don,

I underestand completely your concerns. It's a subject
that's troubled
me for a long time, and I seem prone to flip flopping.
The problem
isn't so much a question of energy... you'll have less
in the spin
than in the ensuing dive after recovery (both of which
are nose down),
but having a 'procedure' that you can apply without
thinking. When
close to the ground, you simply don't have time to
observe and react
to more than a few inputs. For example, if I were to
cross-control the
aircraft into a stall below 300 feet, if I were over
trees, I might
just lock up the controls, close my eyes, and get ready
for the hurt.
But to do this I would have to overcome my rote training...
that is,
if I sense a departure, I recover immediately. I'm
not sure that type
of switch would be valuable. The lesson I've taken
away from this
discussion is that in the pattern, the yaw string stays
bolt straight.
An unexpected stall can be handled if the aircraft
is coordinated. If
not, the bottom falls out quickly.

If you accept as axiomatic that a stall can happen
at any speed and at
any attitude, then I have to place priority on coordination
fist,
airspeed second, though both are clearly primary concerns
in the
pattern.

It is a virtue, or perhaps a nuissance, of our sport,
that when near
the ground, the envelope narrows significantly. Between
1000 agl and
10 agl is like climbing solo. Falling is not an option,
and we need to
attune ourselves to that.

Old November 14th 03, 11:59 AM
Robert Ehrlich

Don Johnstone wrote:

[...]

I completely agree on the point that training should more
focus on early detection and correction of incipient stall/spin
than on recovery of fully developed ones. As my previous favorite
sport was windsurfing, I developed a feeling for recognizing this
situation, because in this case, if you don't react immediately,
you can't avoid falling in water on the upwind side. I had a discussion
with a German pilot who did the same and feels the same thing.
Anyway, each time before I turn to final, I recite in my mind: "Watch your
speed and symmetry, here is the place where people kill themselves",
and I think I am going to say the same thing to my students.
Old November 15th 03, 04:14 AM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

When a stall/spin happens or nearly happens, it is only if the pilot has the
correct reflexes that the stall is prevented, or recovery is made with
minimum loss of height. But it is less likely to go wrong if there is also
good understanding.

There are three dangers from a stall/spin:

1. You hit something before recovery to normal flight.

2. You overstress the glider before recovery to normal flight.

3. After recovery you are not able to make a normal landing, because of
the height you have lost, or the direction you are now pointing.

It is essential to judge all these circumstances to know when a stall/spin
must not be risked.

There are four stages of an inadvertent stall/spin.

1. Avoid altogether.

2. Recognise that a stall/spin is close.

3. Recognise that the glider has stalled / is starting to spin.

4. Recover.

Too many people think that to avoid a stall/spin altogether what you need is
to be expert and quick at recognising that you are nearly stalled. The
real problem is that the glider can depart into a steep stall/spin without
any prior warning so far as the pilot is concerned; this is not because the
pilot failed to notice symptoms that the stall was close, but because there
weren't any. This is more likely to happen to a type known to readily spin
(Puchacz, IS28) but it can happen to any type (K21, Discus).

What matters is the angle of attack:

a. Angle of attack higher than the critical angle, you are stalled and
likely to have lateral instability (spin entry).

b. Angle of attack at the critical angle, you are stalling.

c. Angle of attack below the critical angle but close, you are at risk
from stalling in any gust wind gradient or shear, or due to inaccurate
flying.

If speed is low you are more likely to stall other things being equal, but
it is possible to stall at high speed, and possible to be at a very low
speed and not be stalled; what is critical is the angle of attack and not
the speed.

Inaccurate flying of itself will only stall you if you are already at a high
angle of attack, nearly stalled; the inaccuracy may tip you into the stall,
and the actual departure may be more violent and more complete. At a low
angle of attack whatever you do with ailerons and rudder will not stall you
(but it may cause a lot of extra drag, which may lead to a higher angle of
attack).

Inaccurate flying makes it more difficult to hold the desired angle of
attack, and to know if the angle of attack is increasing because it
disguises symptoms of high angle of attack. It will also increase drag
perhaps when you do not want any unnecessary loss of energy.

To avoid stalling keep the angle of attack well below the stalling angle.

How?

If you want to increase the angle of attack, you move the stick back (and
the elevator up).

If you want to reduce the angle of attack, you move the stick forward (and
the elevator down), this is why the recovery from a stall or from nearly
stalled always includes moving the stick forward.

If you are moving the stick back you are calling for a higher angle of
attack, whatever you reason for moving it back.

If you are moving the stick forward you are calling for a lower angle of
attack, again whatever your reason for moving it forward.

Therefore to be sure of avoiding an inadvertent stall/spin, part of our
flying must include monitoring stick movement and position. This is more
important than monitoring speed and change of speed (which is also
essential).

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

"Don Johnstone" wrote in
message ...

snip

We spend an awful lot of time teaching spin recovery, and rightly so. We
seem to me, to spend less time emphasising the signs and symptoms of
approaching stalls/spins and this I feel needs to be put right. The
concentration on keeping balanced flight when near the ground indicates

Old November 15th 03, 09:08 PM
Mike Lindsay

The final turn stall/spin claims many every year. Are
we really approaching the problem in the right way?
As an aside it is not just glider pilots who get it
wrong. I recall reading an accident report of an airliner
which had taken off from Heathrow back in the 60's
or 70's. The aircraft stalled at about 3000ft and hit
the ground in a stalled condition. There were 3 qualified
ATPL pilots in the cockpit, two of them qualified as
captain on type. None of them it would appear recognised
that the airplane was stalled.
What chance have we mere mortals got if the gods get
it wrong?

Its something to with having 3 pilots. Too many cooks...
But if you are referring to the accident I think you are, didn't the
enquiry find that the two younger pilots were terrified of saying
anything to the very senior captain, who was probably having a heart
attack at the time?

At least we don't get that in gliders, thank goodness.

--
Mike Lindsay
Old November 16th 03, 01:58 AM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

If anyone wishes to read the full account of the investigation into this
accident (Trident 1 G-ARPI near Staines on 18th June 1972), it is now
available on-line.

BGA Website, Info for Clubs & Members, Safety, Links -
http://www.gliding.co.uk/bgainfo/safety/links.htm .
Air Accidents Investigation branch (AAIB) - http://www.aaib.gov.uk/ ,
Formal reports, Full reports, a.. No:4/73 - Trident I, G-ARPI, near Staines
http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...cst?n=5250&l=4 .

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

Old November 16th 03, 03:58 PM
Simon Waddell

In this particular case, they all recognised the airliner was stalled. The
airliner was a Trident, with a 'T'-tail configuration. This particular
design (Ibeleiev in common with other T-tail designs) was able to get into a
stabe deep-stall configration where the nose rises so high that the
elevators descend into the wing wake and no longer have the authority to
lower the nose and the aircarft just pancakes down. Give enough height, I
think it is is possible to use the undercarriage and flaps to create enough
drag to correct the situation. These poor people didn't have the height
required.

Old November 17th 03, 06:15 PM
303pilot

"Don Johnstone" wrote in
message ...
the ground in a stalled condition. There were 3 qualified
ATPL pilots in the cockpit, two of them qualified as
captain on type. None of them it would appear recognised
that the airplane was stalled.
What chance have we mere mortals got if the gods get
it wrong?

No need to put ATPL's on a pedestal. At one of our club meetings, we had a
speaker whose business is teaching unusual attitude recovery to ATPLs. To
get his presentation going he gave us a number of scenarios and asked how
we'd respond. After giving us half a dozen of these and having the group
respond in unison with the right answer to each of them, he said "you know
more about this subject than any group of airline pilots I've ever trained".

Most of us glider pilots have a gut reaction in bad situations to unload the
wings first. Many professional pilots apparently don't.

That said, I don't mean to congratulate us all into any reduction in stall
avoidance and recovery training.

Old November 18th 03, 10:03 AM
Robert John

Simon,
Your explanation sounds plausible but bears no relation
to the accident investigation report. As far as I
know, the nose never got high - they would have realised
this, but it did get into the wrong configuration.
They could have recovered if they had (a) realised
the droop was retracted and put it down again, (b)
let the system do it's job (stick shaker warned them
and stick push tried to correct it but they dumped
it) or (c) initiated a normal stall recovery - lower
the nose - gain speed.
They were too slow at every stage of the flight and
somehow got into the wrong configuration, all of which
was 'probably' due to the Captain's partial incapacity
due to a heart attack and the crew not realising the
Captain's problem.
I suspect you were recalling a different incident in
a similar aircraft?
Rob